new member - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

new member to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself, I'm from Illinois and just purchased a 2016 versys 650 and will be picking it up on Monday. Its still a little cool for riding for most around here but I am also an avid snowmobiler also, so the cool weather doesn't bother to bad. Looking forward to the new ride and have read many good reviews on this bike. I'm 66 yrs old and have never been without a motorcycle since the age of 14 except during the Vietnam conflict. My son lives in Nashville Tenn. and has some great riding in the area so I chose this bike to ride the twisty back roads. I have enjoyed this forum and plan to be on more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ah, another senior citizen Versys owner! Welcome aboard from San Antonio, TX.

PS/ Spent the day yesterday building a handicap ramp for a deserving home owner and feel every day of my 73 years this morning. How does that happen?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the welcome. My current ride is my trusted friend of many years a 1985 BMW K-100 that has never let me down and I have had many miles of good rides, but she's 33 now and deserving of a rest and stay closer to home. I also know the feeling of the age thing. I had a hip replacement in September and was afraid I was going to have to go to a 3-wheeler, thank God that doesn't have to be. Looking forward to the new ride and after much research I feel the Versys fits my riding style.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyweight View Post
new member to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself, I'm from Illinois and just purchased a 2016 versys 650 and will be picking it up on Monday. Its still a little cool for riding for most around here but I am also an avid snowmobiler also, so the cool weather doesn't bother to bad. Looking forward to the new ride and have read many good reviews on this bike. I'm 66 yrs old and have never been without a motorcycle since the age of 14 except during the Vietnam conflict. My son lives in Nashville Tenn. and has some great riding in the area so I chose this bike to ride the twisty back roads. I have enjoyed this forum and plan to be on more often.
Yes Sir! I'm in Chicago itching to get some saddle time but weather isn't cooperating at all. Well, I think there's no bad weather with the right gear.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

picked up the 2016 v650 today and got to put 110 miles on it as temps were staying around the 50 degree area with the sun shinning so all was good. Just a quick overview for day 1- IMO she likes to stay over 3000rpm's regardless of which gear you are in, likes to be shifted at 4000rpm's and above , and the sweet spot seems to be 5000-5500rpm range. I love the way it rides and is very flickable and the balance is so good that you can almost stop at a stop sign without putting a foot down. So far the V is everything I was hoping for and more.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 AM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyweight View Post
Thanks to all for the welcome. My current ride is my trusted friend of many years a 1985 BMW K-100 that has never let me down and I have had many miles of good rides, but she's 33 now and deserving of a rest and stay closer to home. I also know the feeling of the age thing. I had a hip replacement in September and was afraid I was going to have to go to a 3-wheeler, thank God that doesn't have to be. Looking forward to the new ride and after much research I feel the Versys fits my riding style.

Ah, another thing or two in common I see. I had my left hip replaced four years ago and, having faithfully followed the physical therapy regimen, can still ride two wheels comfortably. I also have, and dearly love, a BMW K bike. Mine is a 1993 K75S, has 54,000 miles on the clock, and still runs like a dream. My only reservation is that it's rather heavy and with short handle bars (being an S model) it can be a cumbersome to maneuver at slow speeds. Still, it will remain safely with me for a good while to come. Or at least until I tip it over and can't pick it up again!

Lastly, either for good or bad, we also have a Can Am Spyder RT-S in the fleet and it's become our "go-to" long distance touring machine. It gobbles up the miles with ease, carries a ton of gear, and I don't have to worry about losing my balance or having to push it backwards out of a parking spot or the garage. It's very civilized indeed even though it isn't a "real" motorcycle. But I can live with that, and very comfortably too.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 04-10-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode