Too much snow to ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too much snow to ride

Just put a deposit on the x-300 but sadly we got a dump of snow this weekend. 14” of fresh white stuff on the roads. I’m hoping after Easter weekend when I pick up the bike it will be melted off enough to give it a test ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 AM

Garage
No need to wait...
No Video
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
aboard!

I HOPE the snow in Kelowna will be long-gone when I get back on 05 April!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Which accessories would you choose?

Right now there is a promotion posted on the Kawasaki.ca website (in Canada) for your choice of accessories for free with the purchase of a new x-300. (See attached pic) I just put down my deposit on the bike but haven’t decided which are the best accessories to get. Any suggestions?
Options are: 1) saddlebags. 2)center stand + raised seat. 3)Engine guard + center stand. 4)Engine guard + raised seat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230CB2B1-3BFA-4223-B039-C87A8A04EE3F_1522083067168.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	148817  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:28 PM

My vote would be center stand and crash bars.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

That’s exactly what I was leaning towards. However the saddlebags are tempting too. Having only sat on the bike briefly I don’t know about the seat except for all the negative reviews on the hardness of it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vman1 View Post
My vote would be center stand and crash bars.
Absolutely!

I myself have the Kawasaki engine guard, flood lights, Center stand, hard saddle bags and paid extra for aftermarket heater grips and t-Rex skid plate. I also have the Kawasaki tank pad.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenwarkentin View Post
That’s exactly what I was leaning towards. However the saddlebags are tempting too. Having only sat on the bike briefly I don’t know about the seat except for all the negative reviews on the hardness of it.
Make no mistake, saddle bags of any kind are for me, a must. I can buy food and small items without worrying. It’s not a car trunk but it gets the job done and gives you so much more usage out of the bike. Plus I stick my luggage straps inside so I can strap anything to the bike should I need to.

The seat felt firm at the dealer, but when riding it, if feels fine to me becuase the inner thigh and pressure on the bum decrease once the feet are on the pegs. However, everyone is different. I would wait and ride the bike before considering spending money on a seat. Give it three months of good use before thinking ergo, IMHO.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Good advice on the seat. I’m hoping it won’t be as bad as some say. As for storage, the saddlebags are probably the way to go at some point, but is there any storage under the seat on the x-300?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Garage
center stand engine guards.

I installed a top box. Probably go soft side bags (cheaper) and I usually
just carry tools in them on long trips. Clothing is in a dry bag on the seat.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:33 PM

Engine guard plus center stand.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:51 PM

I have both, the Kawasaki engine guards and center stand. The center stand is good, but the engine guards are expensive but cheap. When mounted, you can grab them and bend them back and fourth. I got tired of waiting for SW Motech engine guards to show up, so got the Kawasaki's. My bike tipped over yesterday and they did their job, but now I have a dent on them. The aftermarket is not jumping all over this bike, so they are better than nothing.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
depends on your plans for it. do you plan to offroad it it at all? then get the cage. on road. grocery getter? then get the bags

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 PM

Garage
I would go with #2. I noticed that you didn't mention the 12v socket. If that is not already on the bike, i would make that your top choice. The center stand is handy, although I use a paddock/pit stand because I don't want to lose any clearance. The stock seat is like a torture device. The Kawasaki side cases are really small and according to Kawasaki, they are only rated for 7 lbs max per side. They also narrow down in the middle making it awkward to get anything in them. I doubt you could even get your riding jacket in there if it has armor.
As for the crash bars, there are several better options. I have a set of Givi crash bars on my garage floor waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and install them. They look like a very high quality piece of kit, but I'll let everyone know what I think once I get them on the bike. You should also look at the T-Rex bars. I've heard good things about them. Then there is the SWM bars, but good luck with that. It seems like SWM doesn't want to sell anything for the X 300 because they are really slow getting the parts to U.S. distributors.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:21 AM

There's a lot to be said 'bout farkling a bike - a lot has allready been said in the Vx thread over on Advrider, but here's some general thoughts:

Chrash bars - well, if You don't plan on dropping the bike, there's a lot of weight and money to be saved ;o) And if it gets muddy - or just dirty from street riding - the bars are in the way when washing it.

Center stand - more weight for a thing U'll only need once in a blue moon. Lubing the chain can be done fast + easy with a - ehhh - jack stand. I have a contraption which can be described as a turnbuckle (large) with a cradle for the swing arm welded on one end and a saw-toothed foot on the other. Place under swing arm and turn the mid section, lube when rear wheel is off the ground so wheel can be turned - lower bike and ride ;o)

Tall seat - works very well for me and my 32" inseam - if someone complains about the comfort - put them on a KLX250S for a while ;o)

OEM hardbags - take a look a Google photo search first - seen from the top, they have a very odd "doubble keyhole" shape and I concur that it seems absolutely unthinkable to press anything as large as a jacket with protection in one ! And they are reported to be flimsy and on top they come with a weak set of supports that mostly holds them at the top - and even demands tools to mout/unmount in the daily use.
I'd go directly to Givi for their E22 cases; solid and even has a nice design matching the bike. My only concern is that they sit high on the bike - slightly higher than the rear seat. Could be a bugger to get on and off the bike - but be aware that Givi has a mount set specific for the Vx - and then they have a universal mount, that seems to be so adjustable that you can lower the bags (I posted pics in the ADV thread).
Had the old Givi E21 bags on a previous bike: solid, durable (though not crash tested by me) and plenty large for a grocery gettere ;o)
Do note that I have mounted a 35'ish liter top box on my Vx - sitting pretty high but it fulfills my need for daily luggage. BUT be aware ! My adventure/enduro helmet does PRECISELY not fit in ! So test before buying ;o)

Engine guard - again, where I ride, it's not really needed. But if You need it - You need it.

Hands guards - not mentioned above, but to me it's a first ! Wether U want Barks Busters to take down trees on Ur path or U just want wind + weather protection is Ur choice. Both are readily available. OEM's are pricey for the type (only weatherd protection) but I haven't seen anyone reporting cheaper models that actually fits as bolt-on. Bark Buster/ Acerbis type are available in several models - some fit, some don't fit easily - check ADVrider.

Power outlet - not cheap in OEM, but plenty other resources avalable (again - Google). This also goes for the relay U need to use factory installed wire harness - but wiring it direct to battery and using any old realy to make it turn on and off with the engine can be just as good and safe if done with some thought. Oh - don't forget to throw a fuse in for safety - burning wires have a baaad rep ;o)
But perhaps U should start considering what U need it for: charging this and that on the go is mostly done through a USB plug these days, so why install and old fashioned cigar lighter and plug in a USB thing when U can install a double USB plug with voltmeter instead ?

From my own list of wishes and ideas, I'l add a GPS-mount (in the bag, awaiting spring) and a way to adjiust the height of the windshield (in planning state - and awaiting spring to tinker).
Skypilot 69 likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard View Post
Crash bars - well, if You don't plan on dropping the bike, there's a lot of weight and money to be saved ;o) And if it gets muddy - or just dirty from street riding - the bars are in the way when washing it....
NOBODY ever PLANS to drop their bike - get the crash bars!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Right now there is a promotion posted on the Kawasaki.ca website (in Canada) for your choice of accessories for free with the purchase of a new x-300. (See attached pic) I just put down my deposit on the bike but havenít decided which are the best accessories to get. Any suggestions?
Options are: 1) saddlebags. 2)center stand + raised seat. 3)Engine guard + center stand. 4)Engine guard + raised seat
Ultimately you need to go with what matters most to you. As you can see, we'll all have our own preferences and priorities. But there's lots of good info in all those replies to help you make the decision. ... Or confuse you even more. :-)

So let me add my personal prefs and experience to the noise... I have the factory centrestand, handguards, and 12V outlet on mine. I've added the Kappa K46 46 liter top case from my BMW F650GS and a RAM powered GPS mount.

I love how easy the centrestand makes lubing the chain. If you never go far enough away from home that you can always lube the chain at home with some sort of stand or other homegrown widget, probably not an issue. But if you often need to lube the chain somewhere away, it's a necessity in my opinion.

I got the factory handguards mainly for wind/weather protection and I'm very happy I did. They work. They're also fine for protection from small branches in the bush.

In hindsight I probably wouldn't bother with the 12V outlet. I didn't use it once all season. I have other options.

My personal preference is for a topcase versus bags. Mine is large enough for two full-face helmets or all my weather gear and one full-face helmet. Or two large pizzas and a two-four. :-) If being able to haul a few groceries home or fit odd stuff like your jacket with back, shoulder, and elbow pads, there's no comparison. After nearly 9 years of using a top case on my bikes I've never found them to have a negative effect on the handling.

Finally, about the seat. I am satisfied with the seat. I really like the shape, especially the flatness. Many think it's very uncomfortable. After dozens of comments about it over on ADVRider it seems clear that no matter which of Kawasaki's factory seats you get they are all too firm for those who don't like the stocker. So if you need a taller seat and find the stock seat too hard you're better off looking at an aftermarket solution of some kind. Which means you should wait until you've ridden it for awhile to see if you want something different either for comfort or for better leg room.

One guy's opinion's...

...ken...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Right now there is a promotion posted on the Kawasaki.ca website (in Canada) for your choice of accessories for free with the purchase of a new x-300. (See attached pic) I just put down my deposit on the bike but haven’t decided which are the best accessories to get. Any suggestions?
You'll want an engine guard to protect your bike from tip overs but you may find better value on the aftermarket. See TwistedThrottle.ca and FortNine.ca

12V and USB outlets are very cheap on Ebay.ca and AliExpress.com, about the price of a coffee and donut at Tims. You require a 2.1A or higher for modern cell phones, many older USB outlets are 1A. Be sure it says 2.1 before purchasing. The plug is the same.

A rear spool stand (with spools added to swing arm) is more handy to work on the bike than a center stand IMO and is much cheaper. A center stand adds weight and removes ground clearance.

Generic items like spools and tire valves are exponentially cheaper on ebay than the dealer but take a month to arrive. Anyone know what size spools the 300 takes? My experience with pit stands is don't buy the cheapest one you see or the most expensive either (PitBull) but aim for something with decent quality in the middle like say Venom or similar. With spools on the other hand, cheap and cheerful is all you need.

Heated grips (Oxford) will be really handy in the Regina climate as will a good adventure jacket.

Don't forget to download the service manual for your bike from this site.

Saddle bags OR a top box are pretty much essential if you tour or commute.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-27-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode