New Guy in DFW - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Guy in DFW

Well I just wanted to introduce myself. Last week I bought a slightly (really slightly) used 2008 Versys off of PseudoFed (i.e. Jeff). Jeff's a really good guy and his new cruiser pretty cool. This is my first road bike, after have dirt bikes as a kid and then getting into quads. I don't need a bike to go 200 mph, just something that will be fun and easy to tour around until I get more experience and am ready for the dream bike, R 1200 GS Adventure (thanks Ewan and Charlie).

I've been riding the bike to work all week and it was great. My first impression of the bike is that its a blast. Granted, I would likely say that about any new bike I would get and I don't have enough miles on the Versys to form a true opinion. The seating position and power delivery feel natural to me. So right now all that's been done is the addition of the Hepco Becker bars. Exhaust and a bags will soon follow. I am still pretty new to the area, so I'll probably go out exploring after the Purdue vs IU game.

-stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:57 AM

Glad to hear you bought the Versys and welcome to the forum. There are several of us here in the DFW area and we occasionally have a meet & greet to get to know each other. If you would lilke for me to put you on our notification list email me your name, address, email, and phone number or any part of the previous you feel comfortable with.

Email your info to [email protected] and I'll put you on the list and send you a copy.

Again, welcome to the group and we look forward to meeting you

Take care
Don

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM

You certainly picked a great motorcycle and got a great value buying used.

Great job and welcome.

Oh yeah, some pics wouldn't hurt.

Don

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I have seen a couple threads about the Versys as a first bike, and I thought i would do a little description of how my first 4 months have gone.

No trouble for me at all, so far. I've made it into my primary mode of transportation (at least when there is no ice on the ground or rain in the sky). I added a Givi E52 trunk and SW Motech rack, Powermadd hand guards, Garmin GPS, and recently (2 weeks ago) a full Arrow exhaust. Everything but the exhaust was a necessity for me.

I think the Versys was the perfect bike for me. Good ergos for sitting up straight, smooth power, good suspension, and nice seat. Now I'm not a tall guy (30" inseam), but I've got pretty comfortable at being on my toes. At stop lights I sometimes do a little dirtbike, stork stand. Would I want to lower it? Nah, I like being up high once I'm riding.

The R 1200 GS is still my dream bike, and I plan to go for a test ride in a couple weeks. Is the Versys a good starter bike? It all depends on who it's for. For me yes. It really proved to me that riding a motorcycle is something I want to do. It was a good transition ergonomically for the bike I eventually want to get into. I would recommend getting an older bike (cb750, xs650, etc) rather than a 250cc, with the idea being that you get a taste of what you next bike will likely feel like. Not just a scaled down version. In fact, I am looking to pick up a cb750 or xs650 to build up as a full on cafe bike.

I also want to say that this website has been a great help to me. Having such a good resource was one of the reasons I got the Versys. So thanks. See you guys out on the road.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode