New member with a question about pipes - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 09Greeny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New member with a question about pipes

Hello everyone!

I'm heading out this weekend to pick up a 2009 green 650 as my first street bike. 20k on the clock, fresh inspection, new tires, and bone stock except for a Yoshimura pipe.

I am curious though - I know that a slip on can cause the engine to run lean (or is it rich?) without tuning, but I'm not sure how much of an issue this is with these bikes. If it has a Yoshimura but now power commander, should I be worried about picking up either a PC or stock pipe quickly, or is it not worth worrying about?

I'm very excited to finally get riding and looking forward to starting with one of these bikes. Hope to see and ride with some of y'all around the DFW area here eventually!

Anything's a dirt bike if you're not a lil b**ch

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Most aftermarket exhausts will cause the engine air/fuel ratio to run on the lean side. Probably not enough to damage the engine but will cause popping on deceleration.

Since there are not any after market ECU flashes available for the V-650, a properly tuned power commander would allow you to enjoy the full benefit of having a free flowing exhaust.

If the owner still has the stock exhaust, putting it back on is also an option.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I bought my 2008 Gen 1 Versys it had a Two Brothers muffler installed. It also came with the original muffler, for which I was eventually very glad. I installed a Two Brothers Juice Box (their Power Commander) and found that the bike ran nicely without any adverse effects.

However, it didn't take long before I realized that the noise irritated my neighbors and, more importantly, the constant drone gave me headaches on anything but the shortest rides. The "that's a really aggressive sound" thing got old pretty quickly. I re-installed the stock muffler and sold the Two Brothers stuff. The bottom line is that the neighborhood is happier and I no longer get headaches. That sure improves the enjoyment of riding the thing in my opinion.

Having said all that, I'm something of an old geezer (elder statesman I believe is the polite term) and no longer think loud growling, raspy sounds are appealing so my opinions might not match yours. Not to mention some assembly required, your mileage may vary, batteries not included.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 02-21-2018 at 09:58 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Probably not enough to damage the engine but will cause popping on deceleration.
Okay, good to know. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be damaging anything. I'm intending to swap it out down the road for an Ixil LX3 Hyperlow, Arrow headers, and a properly tuned PCFC, but it'll be a good while before that happens.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
However, it didn't take long before I realized that the noise irritated my neighbors and, more importantly, the constant drone gave me headaches on anything but the shortest rides.
Well, just about anything is going to be better than the 3in straight through I had on my WRX from the previous owner. (got rid of that as quick as I could, literally woke the neighbors getting home from work). From the few soundbites I can find the Yoshimura doesn't seem like it'll be too loud, and I'm intending on earplugs regardless.

-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I see you are in the DFW area.. Bought my 09 at Honda/Kawasaki West in Ft.Worth. Put a Yoshi on it never had any issues...

IMG_0479 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
Thank you as well!

I'm looking forward to it, just hoping that this weekend comes sooner and that the bike doesn't disappear before then!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I see you are in the DFW area.. Bought my 09 at Honda/Kawasaki West in Ft.Worth. Put a Yoshi on it never had any issues...
Awesome, good to know that I don't have anything to worry about. I'm coming from a Subaru WRX which is extremely picky on (and has died, catastrophically, more than once due to) the tune it has, so I'm a little hyper-conscious of engine tuning on everything now.
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode