New Bike, New Adventures - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Eviltwin
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
New Bike, New Adventures

Picked up a new to me 2011 Versys last week, and already have been having a blast on it! It's a little different than the ZX6-Rs I've owned in the past, but I've come to the realization that I just don't need a sport bike on the street anymore, I get in too much trouble. Still have my 03 636 track bike though. I'm more interested in the long camping weekends now anyways, and figured the Versys would be a great stead for such adventures.
I've got a few upgrades that I've got planned, dual sport tires, crashbars, and that sort of thing. But she came with luggage so she's pretty much ready to go.
Also, it may just be my sportbike background, but I feel like the suspension lets these bikes move around a lot in the corners, and mine's set up a little stiffer than the stock setting already, and I'm maybe 155 with gear.

Anyway, here's a few pics since I know they will be demanded if I forget

Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum, was caught in spam filter

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
Picked up a new to me 2011 Versys last week, and already have been having a blast on it! It's a little different than the ZX6-Rs I've owned in the past, but I've come to the realization that I just don't need a sport bike on the street anymore, I get in too much trouble. Still have my 03 636 track bike though. I'm more interested in the long camping weekends now anyways, and figured the Versys would be a great stead for such adventures.
I've got a few upgrades that I've got planned, dual sport tires, crashbars, and that sort of thing. But she came with luggage so she's pretty much ready to go.
Also, it may just be my sportbike background, but I feel like the suspension lets these bikes move around a lot in the corners, and mine's set up a little stiffer than the stock setting already, and I'm maybe 155 with gear.

Anyway, here's a few pics since I know they will be demanded if I forget

Neighbor.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard.

Good o'l Palomar Mountain. Used to ride there when I lived in Oceanside. Some really great roads in Socal.

When you switch to "dual sport tires" you may notice the bike moving around a bit more in the corners.

I bought my 2015 V-650 last year. The previous owner had a set of Dunlop Q-3's on it. I wore those out and put on a set of Metzeler M7RR's. Great tires. I also installed a new Nitron rear shock on it. Now I think my little V handles as good as my old FZ09 that had $2000 worth of custom suspension work.

Enjoy your new ride.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 AM

Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas - a little east of you.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Welcome aboard.

Good o'l Palomar Mountain. Used to ride there when I lived in Oceanside. Some really great roads in Socal.

When you switch to "dual sport tires" you may notice the bike moving around a bit more in the corners.

I bought my 2015 V-650 last year. The previous owner had a set of Dunlop Q-3's on it. I wore those out and put on a set of Metzeler M7RR's. Great tires. I also installed a new Nitron rear shock on it. Now I think my little V handles as good as my old FZ09 that had $2000 worth of custom suspension work.

Enjoy your new ride.
Haha, yeah I just need to get my head around the fact that it's not a sport bike. I'm considering the Avon Trailriders, because I'll be doing mostly commuting and long distance trips, so I don't need something super aggressive off road wise, just more capable than the sport touring tires it has. I like Avon rubber, I had a set of 3D XMs on my old 07 ZX-6R and they had very good traction and a long life.

What made you choose the Nitron? I was thinking of sending the forks off to Racetech, haven't decided what I'm doing with the rear yet.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...When you switch to "dual sport tires" you may notice the bike moving around a bit more in the corners....
This has NOT been my experience - I run 36psi F, 42R - on pavement or dirt. Bike is VERY stable.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks everybody!

What made you choose the Nitron? I was thinking of sending the forks off to Racetech, haven't decided what I'm doing with the rear yet.
I had a Penske on my FZ09. Pretty harsh ride for my old back. The Nitron was on sale for $500 and could not pass it up. It's an excellent shock.

Before you send the forks to Race Tech and spend a fortune try 10wt oil.

It really helps the damping. I first tried 20 wt but it was overkill. 10 wt was just right.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
thanks for the awesome pictures and safe ride -ATGATT
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I had a Penske on my FZ09. Pretty harsh ride for my old back. The Nitron was on sale for $500 and could not pass it up. It's an excellent shock.

Before you send the forks to Race Tech and spend a fortune try 10wt oil.

It really helps the damping. I first tried 20 wt but it was overkill. 10 wt was just right.

Good luck.
Well I was thinking new springs too, but maybe I'll just try the oil first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
thanks for the awesome pictures and safe ride -ATGATT
My Harley riding coworker makes fun of me when I walk in the office in full ADV gear
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well I was thinking new springs too, but maybe I'll just try the oil first.
My in gear riding weight is around 190 lbs. Oil change is a good first swipe at it and won't cost you an arm and leg.

The spring weight on my 2015 is just about right for my weight. I have the preload adjuster right smack dab in the middle. I did the 10 weight oil and the rebound adjuster got me in the sweet zone so did not have to screw with the shim stack.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 02-22-2018 at 02:53 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My in gear riding weight is around 190 lbs. Oil change is a good first swipe at it and won't cost you an arm and leg.

The spring weight on my 2015 is just about right for my weight. I have the preload adjuster right smack dab in the middle. I did the 10 weight oil and the rebound adjuster got me in the sweet zone so did not have to screw with the shim stack.
From reading around this forum I've deduced that my suspension preferences are different than most. I'm about 155 maybe 160 in gear, all my suspension settings are on the stiffer side, and I still think it's too soft. I also have a decent amount of saddle time on the BMW S1000XR, which has a more stiff/sporty "long travel" suspension, so I think that's whats creating my bias.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
From reading around this forum I've deduced that my suspension preferences are different than most. I'm about 155 maybe 160 in gear, all my suspension settings are on the stiffer side, and I still think it's too soft. I also have a decent amount of saddle time on the BMW S1000XR, which has a more stiff/sporty "long travel" suspension, so I think that's whats creating my bias.
I too have always set up my suspension towards the stiffer side.

Something that is really cool on the Nitron shock is the damping adjuster. It's a twist ring near the bottom end that adjusts both rebound and compression. A couple of turns has a pretty big effect.

When I am on twisty road that is smooth I will twist it a few clicks for a firmer ride to cut some good lap times. Then when the road gets rough and starts to loosen the fillings in my teeth I will twist it towards softer and enjoy a plusher ride. I can reach the ring while riding so I don't have to stop or use any tools. It's a beautiful thing.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I too have always set up my suspension towards the stiffer side.

Something that is really cool on the Nitron shock is the damping adjuster. It's a twist ring near the bottom end that adjusts both rebound and compression. A couple of turns has a pretty big effect.

When I am on twisty road that is smooth I will twist it a few clicks for a firmer ride to cut some good lap times. Then when the road gets rough and starts to loosen the fillings in my teeth I will twist it towards softer and enjoy a plusher ride. I can reach the ring while riding so I don't have to stop or use any tools. It's a beautiful thing.
I think you've got me pretty well sold on that Nitron.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I think you've got me pretty well sold on that Nitron.
I really like it and it is the base model. Beautiful workmanship on the unit.

Here is my Nitron write up on the forum.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ron-shock.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5481.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	146250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5480.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	146258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5483.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	146266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5484.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	146274  
Eviltwin likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

Last edited by hawkerjet; 02-23-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode