Renting a 2009 650 Versys, guidance requested. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Renting a 2009 650 Versys, guidance requested.

Hello Versys Forum,

I am renting a 2009 650 Versys to tour Nova Scotia 2 weeks from today. I travel a lot for work (I lecture on natural medicine) and really enjoy trying out new bikes and touring exotic locations when I've the time. I have 2 questions, I'd appreciate help with:

1. I prefer wearing a full face helment without the faceshield. This means need to limit direct wind on face. From perusing the forums, appears the stock screen is not tall enough. I was thinking of getting the Wunderlich screen extender. Has anyone tried this? Are there other options that can also be used on other bikes?

2. I would like to use a tank bag, which is not provided by the rental. I have a Cortech removable bag. Does anyone know which ring mount to order?

Thanks, Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Why not just attach your faceshield for the rental trip? You should already have it, so it's free. Don't know that tank-bag, but IF it has a 'tether' line to attach to the steering head, it should work OK.

Oh yah - ride the Cabot Trail clockwise (got this advice from an oldtimer up there) so you'll have a lane between you and the drop-off.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
Hello Versys Forum,

I am renting a 2009 650 Versys to tour Nova Scotia 2 weeks from today. I travel a lot for work (I lecture on natural medicine) and really enjoy trying out new bikes and touring exotic locations when I've the time. I have 2 questions, I'd appreciate help with:

1. I prefer wearing a full face helment without the faceshield. This means need to limit direct wind on face. From perusing the forums, appears the stock screen is not tall enough. I was thinking of getting the Wunderlich screen extender. Has anyone tried this? Are there other options that can also be used on other bikes?

2. I would like to use a tank bag, which is not provided by the rental. I have a Cortech removable bag. Does anyone know which ring mount to order?

Thanks, Joe
There is no Versys shield I am aware of that will eliminate direct wind on the face. Visor is best. If you want extra venting crack it a notch. Just have them put the stock shield in the high position to keep it off your body. Four season adv. tour style gear is your best bet this time of year but it is doubtful you would need the insulated liner in Sept.

I'm in Halifax. If you have any questions or want some local advice send me a PM.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-09-2012 at 01:58 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, will bring face shield but still hope open face.

Clockwise on Cabot? I thought everyone was recommending counter-clockwise?!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM

Nicer views going counter-clockwise. As I recall, the dropoffs all had barriers anyway, so not an issue. Check out Meat Cove if you have the time (northern tip of CB).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I've only ever ridden it counter clockwise. I would say counter clockwise as you can stop on the shoulder to take pictures or just have a better look at the view. Watch for deer, they seem to come out at sunset.

If you have the time schedule a half day to check out Lunenburg, Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove perferably riding the coastal roads. PM me if you want a guide and riding partner for the Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg loop.

Also suggest the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic for a visit if sailing, shipping and navel warfare history is of any interest. They have a few restored WWI and WWII vessels you can tour and a few Titanic artifacts.

Camping is best at provincial and national park campgrounds as they are located on the site of the park and are very well maintained. Private campgrounds usually have less desirable locations. It can get cool at night this time of year (~50F night/70F day)

On a final note, and I mention this as you said you do not ride much with a visor, be sure to bring a bottle of spray anti fog spray and maybe something like rainX to make the water bead on the outside of the visor if you ride in the rain. They make a world of difference.

http://www.novascotia.com

http://parks.gov.ns.ca/

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/index.aspx

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/kejimkujik/index.aspx

Peggy's Cove, just outside of Halifax
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hello Versys Forum,

Thanks, Joe
From whom are you renting ?

LOP
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advice--great forum!

I am very much looking forward to riding the Versys as it has been well recieved.

Renting from www.jkwalkerexoticcarshare.ca. They are the only alternative I could find if you don't want a Harley.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Ride it BOTH ways - CW then CCW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Nicer views going counter-clockwise. As I recall, the dropoffs all had barriers anyway, so not an issue....
CW is so you've got some room BEFORE you 'arrive' at said barriers, IF you're unlucky....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM

If it's a 2009 Versys, see if you can mount the windshield upside down...just loosen the bolts, invert it at the highest setting, and tighten the bolts. That will help with the wind a bit.

Use the face shield on your helmet. Bugs and rocks and stuff will find your face otherwise.

I've taken week-long tours of Nova Scotia twice. Some advice:
  • Bring rain gear and warm clothing. The rain gear can serve as an extra layer of warmth if needed.
  • Eat local seafood. (Prince Edward Island lobster and mussels are "local" in the Maritimes.)
  • Stop, be still and observe. I've seen whales, moose and all manner of birds in CB. In addition to Meat Cove, consider a walk to Benjies Lake, where I had a 90 minute encounter with a cow moose...amazing.
  • If you're interested in anything electronic, visit the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck...well worth the time.

My Rider article from 2004 is showing its age, particularly with respect to road conditions and ferries that no longer arrive from Maine, but you may find it useful nonetheless.

Enjoy the ride!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 09-10-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode