Hiya From SE Texas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By txcyclist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Red face Hiya From SE Texas

Hi all! So, I'm thinking it's new bike time again, and I've been looking at the Versys 650 LT. I've been lurking here for a couple of months, and figured it's time to register and introduce myself.

I'm Rhonda. I've been riding for 15 years. I started with a Shadow Spirit 750, moved to the BMW F800ST I currently ride, and now I'm thinking about the Versys 650 LT. Gah, this sounds like a first date.

I ride my bike about 80% of the time I'm on the road. It's my primary commuter, plus I try to ride when running around town. I drive my car about once or twice a week. Why do I want to move to the Versys? Well...

1) I commute on two wheels. I need something that will carry me, my stuff, and still allow me to stop for a few bags of groceries on the way home. My record is currently five bags of groceries (including a half gallon of milk and a medium pizza) in the top case, backpack on my back, and gym bag on my pillion.
2) I like pleasure rides too. I need something that is comfy for long rides, is fun on the back roads, likes the highway, and can easily pass at highway speeds.
3) Yep, my F800ST can do the two things above, but it's a bit of an inner thigh roaster in the summer. When it needs repair, I know the shop will have it for three weeks, and it's going to cost me.

After some research, like clicking around this forum and YouTube, I believe the Versys 650 ticks all my boxes. So, yeah, now that I'm at the "I'm really interested in this particular bike" stage, I am going start asking questions I haven't yet seen asked here. Sorry...but not really. Nice to meet you all.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Last edited by txcyclist; 01-31-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I started off with a 46litre top case then went to a 56litre top case. I only use the side cases for trips but i get plenty of groceries in the top case and sometime groceries and a gallon of O.J and a gallon of Tea. It will cary a large pizza and a 2 litre drink with room to spare....The 2litre Mt.Dew is under the pizza box..

P1010692 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Howdy from Houston

He who is brave is free
- Seneca the Younger
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I started off with a 46litre top case then went to a 56litre top case. I only use the side cases for trips but i get plenty of groceries in the top case and sometime groceries and a gallon of O.J and a gallon of Tea. It will cary a large pizza and a 2 litre drink with room to spare....The 2litre Mt.Dew is under the pizza box..
Nice! That also answers one question...a large top case won't look silly on this bike. I am planning to just transfer my Givi Maxia 52L (AKA "the flying saucer") from one bike to the other.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Hey there, and thanks for the Nice to see another Houstonian. I'm usually the only one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hello Rhonda and welcome aboard from a bit west of you in San Antonio. I think you'll find the Versys to be a very enjoyable and capable bike - and it can carry a good bit too. My Versys 650 is equipped with Givi V35 hard cases, a tail pack (on the passenger's portion of the saddle) and, when necessary a tank bag. I'm not sure I can get a pizza in any of those but four bags of groceries will fit. Actually I could get the pizza in but not the box!

I also have a '93 BMW K75S with OEM hard cases and trunk and regularly use it as a shopping cart while in Maine during the summers. It's a nice machine but not as fun (or as cheap to maintain and service) as the Versys. And, in my experience Kawasaki dealers are much more common place than BMW dealers. Have fun whatever you do.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

A buddy had an F800GS, so we 'swapped' bikes on a ride for a few miles, then he replaced the Beemer w/ a VStrom 650. He finally saw the "error in his ways" and bought a '16 V 650LT, that he really likes. (I have around 150,000 miles among the THREE V 650s I have or had.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Hello Rhonda and welcome aboard from a bit west of you in San Antonio. I think you'll find the Versys to be a very enjoyable and capable bike - and it can carry a good bit too. My Versys 650 is equipped with Givi V35 hard cases, a tail pack (on the passenger's portion of the saddle) and, when necessary a tank bag. I'm not sure I can get a pizza in any of those but four bags of groceries will fit. Actually I could get the pizza in but not the box!

I also have a '93 BMW K75S with OEM hard cases and trunk and regularly use it as a shopping cart while in Maine during the summers. It's a nice machine but not as fun (or as cheap to maintain and service) as the Versys. And, in my experience Kawasaki dealers are much more common place than BMW dealers. Have fun whatever you do.
Some of the best comments I get is when I have the small shopping cart behind the bike, and I'm loading the top case. Just the other day, a nice lady in her sixties walked up, smiled, said, "I'm impressed this fits and that you ride this bike." Then she held up her hand for a high five, and said, "You go, girl." I love my neighborhood.

Your point about Kawasaki dealerships/mechanics being more commonplace is another deciding factor. There's only *one* dealership here where I'll take my BMW, and it's not the closest (or most convenient) to me. However, they are honest and customer service is off the chain. Twice I took the BMW to a place that's close to me, and both times the service was horrific. After the last experience (excuses and one flat-out lie) I vowed that, even if my bike broke down in front of that place, I'd push it 20 miles to the place I trust. Definitely more choices on the Kawasaki front!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
Nice! That also answers one question...a large top case won't look silly on this bike. I am planning to just transfer my Givi Maxia 52L (AKA "the flying saucer") from one bike to the other.

I don't think so...I liked mine on my 09 V-650 and now on my 16 V-1000

IMG_0149 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Bagel & Beach Run by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode