New Member Question: Any major weak link in Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By NinjaWabbit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Member Question: Any major weak link in Versys?

Hello! I'm a new member here and I had a quick question.

I recently switched from a KLR650 to a 2015 Versys 650 that I use as my daily driver and the occasional farm/fire road ride. I plan on getting a skid plate, street bias dual sport tires, and crash bars in addition to the Givi Trekker luggage I already have for it.

Has anyone come across common mechanic failures in the Versys 650 platform? My old KLR650 had a notorious chain balancer that would randomly fail if it wasn't replaced ahead of time. I was just hoping to catch any weak links before a hill country road or trail finds it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum . As to using as dual sport several here have the knobies, skid plate, crash bars. I don't use it like that but am sure lots will have all positive comments, for me at 68, time to stay off the 4 wheel drive tracks, no good fire roads within 400 miles of me, so not interested in that. I had a DRZ400s for that purpose.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The only weak link is the seat....It's a P.I.T.A

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightytwentyjoe View Post
...Has anyone come across common mechanic failures in the Versys 650 platform? My old KLR650 had a notorious chain balancer that would randomly fail if it wasn't replaced ahead of time. I was just hoping to catch any weak links before a hill country road or trail finds it.

Thanks!
Nope - had a KLR (like many here), and the Versys is WAY-Y-Y better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I disagree w/ Joe. IF you raise the front of the seat it works FINE! (I have OVER 156,000 MILES on three V 650s w/ that mod, and my butt is FINE!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-20-2018 at 09:35 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for the info!

Thank you all for the information!

I'll be very happy if all I ever have to deal with is an uncomfortable seat. I'll try to look up a thread about raising the seat before I try a Corbin seat. Thank you copeman for pointing me towards the seat mod. I had a Corbin seat on my KLR650 and it definitely spoiled me a bit, but I'll try that mod out to see if it distributes my weight on the seat better.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Some have had stator issues but not sure if that has been changed with the 3rd generation.

The 3rd generation is definitely not designed to fall over without damage. Keep that in mind.

I don't know if it is still prevalent in the 3rd generation, but the shift linkage can get bound up if you don't keep up with cleaning and lubing it. I had to remove the foot peg assembly to clean and lube mine. Of course it happened while on a trip.

OEM chain needs constant maintenance to last. I lost several O-rings while on a 7000 mile trip even though I lubed it every evening. The quality replacement chain was much better.

Seats are subjective. I didn't like how the stock seat locked me into one position. The forward slant didn't bother me because it put me in the proper sport touring riding position. I have cruisers for when I want to sit upright.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 AM

Onewizard, I'm 69 and still ride dirt all of the time! For comfort I put an RDL seat on my bike and can do very long rides easily. The versys 650 has been bullet proof for me so far. Enjoy your ride!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The seat is uncomfortable. I tried the cheap mod of raising the front with a shim, which helped a lot. Still I found it uncomfortable. New foam might have been a cheap upgrade, but I went with the Sargent seat and am super happy now.

OEM tires suck!

The front turn signals will hit the ground if you drop the bike, and almost certainly break the expensive plastic fairing they mount on. I replaced my turn signals with micro sized LED signals which are brighter and won't hit the ground.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To follow up on the front(and rear) turn signal issue there is a preventative.
remove the metal clip that secures the TS stalk to the fairing panel. The rubber alone will hold it in, even "at speed".

I did the change over on the rectifier to enhance stator life.

I also extended the warranty out to six years and have collected on a warped brake rotor.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 AM

Re-sale value is not the best. But it is a buyers market on most used motorcycles.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you all for the information!

I'll be very happy if all I ever have to deal with is an uncomfortable seat. I'll try to look up a thread about raising the seat before I try a Corbin seat. Thank you copeman for pointing me towards the seat mod. I had a Corbin seat on my KLR650 and it definitely spoiled me a bit, but I'll try that mod out to see if it distributes my weight on the seat better.
Here it is:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...s-methods.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Some have had stator issues but not sure if that has been changed with the 3rd generation.

The 3rd generation is definitely not designed to fall over without damage. Keep that in mind.

I don't know if it is still prevalent in the 3rd generation, but the shift linkage can get bound up if you don't keep up with cleaning and lubing it. I had to remove the foot peg assembly to clean and lube mine. Of course it happened while on a trip.

OEM chain needs constant maintenance to last. I lost several O-rings while on a 7000 mile trip even though I lubed it every evening. The quality replacement chain was much better.

Seats are subjective. I didn't like how the stock seat locked me into one position. The forward slant didn't bother me because it put me in the proper sport touring riding position. I have cruisers for when I want to sit upright.
I'll keep an eye on the shift linkage and voltage, and the next thing I am getting is Puig engine guard that covers the front fairing. I got used to trail damage with my KLR, I don't know how I feel about damaging the Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
The seat is uncomfortable. I tried the cheap mod of raising the front with a shim, which helped a lot. Still I found it uncomfortable. New foam might have been a cheap upgrade, but I went with the Sargent seat and am super happy now.

OEM tires suck!

The front turn signals will hit the ground if you drop the bike, and almost certainly break the expensive plastic fairing they mount on. I replaced my turn signals with micro sized LED signals which are brighter and won't hit the ground.
My background is mostly dual sports so I hadn't noticed the Versys tires being bad on pavement compared to what I'm used to. The tires are terrifying off road! Thanks, I'll definitely be swapping out the signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
To follow up on the front(and rear) turn signal issue there is a preventative.
remove the metal clip that secures the TS stalk to the fairing panel. The rubber alone will hold it in, even "at speed".

I did the change over on the rectifier to enhance stator life.

I also extended the warranty out to six years and have collected on a warped brake rotor.
I'll try removing the metal clip, but if they break they break. I'm pretty used to replacing turn signals.

Thank you all for the rectifier and stator info! That is definitely the kind of issue I'd be willing to spend money to avoid!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I found it to be a minor pain in the balls when I neglect to pinch the tank with my knees.

Do that while braking, and your voice may well rise in pitch by an octave or so.
onewizard likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll keep an eye on the shift linkage and voltage, and the next thing I am getting is Puig engine guard that covers the front fairing. I got used to trail damage with my KLR, I don't know how I feel about damaging the Versys.

My background is mostly dual sports so I hadn't noticed the Versys tires being bad on pavement compared to what I'm used to. The tires are terrifying off road! Thanks, I'll definitely be swapping out the signals.

I'll try removing the metal clip, but if they break they break. I'm pretty used to replacing turn signals.

Thank you all for the rectifier and stator info! That is definitely the kind of issue I'd be willing to spend money to avoid!
The issue with the turn signals if you don't remove the metal clip is that the fairing panel will likely break in a fall over, not necessarily to save the TS, but it should help in that regard.

HTH.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I like the stock seat just the way it is. For 50 people everyone will have a different opinion on seats. Seats will also hurt for the first week riding any new bike as your ass acclimatizes. My advise is ride the bike for a few weeks and many miles BEFORE making a decision about the seat or any ergonomic issues. First impressions are usually wrong.

Almost all seats on adv tour bikes are sloped and made narrow at the front. This part of the seat is not made for sitting on. It is so you can drop down to the front at a stop to reach the ground and stand over the low, narrow portion of the seat, and your seating position will hold you on the wide rear, supportive, portion of the seat when riding. If you find yourself sliding to the front of the seat while riding, or braking, move the bars back so you will stay there with no effort. If you can't move them back enough there are bar clamps to extend them further up or back. I'm 5'10 with a 32 inch inseam and the stock ergos fit mean fine but if you are much taller or shorter you'll probably benefit from some tweeking. I find just a tad of upper body, forward lean, on the bars puts rearward pressure on my hips to keep me properly anchored on the seat and keeps a little more weight on the front wheel to improve cornering and reduce understeer. It also helps minimize fatigue from wind blast.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-23-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode