Training for the ALPS!!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Training for the ALPS!!!!

I'm Kevin, and I bought a new, black 2012 Versys three weeks ago, and just brought it home from the dealership after it's initial 600 mile break-in tune-up, and I'm excited. I have been treating it like a baby for the break in period, riding every chance I got. I did everything I was supposed to: staying below 4k rpm (except highway of course), not riding at the same rpm for more than 10 seconds, etc. NOW the fun begins. I get to see what this baby can do.

I started with a VStar 650 cruiser in 2008, had registration problems due to out of state title and stupid CA laws (only 900 miles on the bike, which cannot be registered in CA), so I upgraded to a 2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (800cc) and loved it. After a couple thousand miles on that, I was presented with an opportunity to go to Germany next year (July 2013) and take a two week motorcycle trip through the Alps (Italy, Germany, Switzerland, etc.) on a rented BMW GS1200 and couldn't say no. I then decided since my friend has taken the trip three times, and has ended up in the ER each time, it would be smart to get that bike and practice for a year, since I have only ridden cruisers.

Well, to my surprise, a used BMW GS1200 is about $17,000 here, which isn't happening, so that's when the research started and I found the Versys: very similar dimensions, but not as powerful. Perfect. I went to the dealership and two hours later, I drove away on my new Versys. Holy crap, what a fun bike! Totally different than the boats I've been riding for years. This was my first time on anything except a cruiser. Wow. What a difference! SO EASY to ride, and really fun. I'm pumped for Europe next year. Check this out:

http://www.beachs-mca.com/classic-alpine-adventure.html

So, my goal here is to find out what kind of saddlebags, tank bags or seat bags I can get for my Versys because I'm now using it as a commuter bike as well as a weekend mountain twisty runner. I'm even going to Mt. Palomar (awesome ride) next week to go camping. I want some luggage and don't know what to get. Any help?

I'm also feeling the stock grips are a little small for my hands. I'm not huge, 6'0" 180, large gloves, but I've noticed my hands start to cramp a little on longer, twisty rides. Am I alone on this?

I'm also engaged to an avid motorcycle passenger, so I will be riding 2 up a lot as well, although she tends to like the comfort of the M50 better than my fun bike. In Europe, it'll be for part of our honeymoon, but she'll be in a BMW z4 convertible with her friend behind the riders.

That's my story. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and your knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
You found the RIGHT site.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:59 AM

Welcome to the forum!

I'm 190 and found the grips too small as well. So got heater grip. They are thicker, AND heated if you want

As for luggage, I like lockable, waterproof, and easy to access stuff. So the first choice was a top box, and side racks for my old panniers from my previous bike came in later.

You can either have both from SW-Motech or both from Givi. You can't mix, it won't fit. I think the SW-Motech top box rack looks better than the Givi one, so I'm all for SW-Motech.

The Kawasaki-labeled original racks are made by SW-Motech (top box) and Givi (side panniers) and identical to the aftermarket parts, and thus cannot be combined.

Get some reading on riding techniques! Steering techniques, which line to take through a corner, and ettiquette. In the alps, just actively let anyone pass who appears behind you - they are faster anyways. If two groups clatch, the slower one should stop.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Two week trip through the Alps on a GS1200. I officially hate you..... Not really, just very jealous... Be sure to take lots of photos and bring back a few stories too...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Ive done the alps and they are amazing... Be sure to do the Gotthard pass. Its epic...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. A long time has passed since I posted that. It's fun to look back. I have over 4000 miles on my Versys now and even laid it down on a hairpin 15mph curve. D'oh. First time ever, but a good learning experience. I either hit some gravel or must have accidentally touched the rear brake in my lean and the rear tire just left me and I was on the pavement in a millisecond. I escaped with a sprained ankle from my boot getting stuck under the shift lever, and a torn calf muscle. The bike had $2700 worth of damage, and with a $1000 deductible, it wasn't fun fixing it, but it's like-new again and I'm healed and riding again. We just confirmed all our bookings for Europe and leave in a month. I'm a little nervous because I'm not sure what to expect, but excited at the same time. I am in the process of buying a GoPro or Contour camera for the ride as well. Should make for some great shots. Any suggestions on how or where to mount that camera? Helmet or bike?

Thanks,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Check Post #3 http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...uggage+options I go to Palomar and all the Mountains around SoCal. Love the E-55 Top case and add softbags as needed.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatdatty View Post
I'm also feeling the stock grips are a little small for my hands. I'm not huge, 6'0" 180, large gloves, but I've noticed my hands start to cramp a little on longer, twisty rides. Am I alone on this?

Grip puppies were my first purchase! Your hands will love them! Best $10 you will spend for you bike.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...ory_Code=grips
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatdatty View Post
Thanks everyone. A long time has passed since I posted that. It's fun to look back. I have over 4000 miles on my Versys now and even laid it down on a hairpin 15mph curve. D'oh. First time ever, but a good learning experience. I either hit some gravel or must have accidentally touched the rear brake in my lean and the rear tire just left me and I was on the pavement in a millisecond. I escaped with a sprained ankle from my boot getting stuck under the shift lever, and a torn calf muscle. The bike had $2700 worth of damage, and with a $1000 deductible, it wasn't fun fixing it, but it's like-new again and I'm healed and riding again. We just confirmed all our bookings for Europe and leave in a month. I'm a little nervous because I'm not sure what to expect, but excited at the same time. I am in the process of buying a GoPro or Contour camera for the ride as well. Should make for some great shots. Any suggestions on how or where to mount that camera? Helmet or bike?

Thanks,
Check out the Drift Ghost. I have mine on the side of the helmet. Just add a usb socket or a cig socket with a usb adapter and you can run the usb cable that comes with the drift and you never need to worry about batteries.With a 32GB Micro SD card i get over 6 hours video. I had a GoPro hated it and all the guys in my group that have them are always bitching about them. You can check out my videos here....http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode