Latest Newbie - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Latest Newbie

Hello from NC. I'm 55 and never ridden. I have been looking at a BRC as soon as the weather cooperates and have been looking hard at possibly a Versys to introduce myself to riding. So, I joined to continue to gain knowledge and help me decide if this is the way I want to go. I look forward to tapping into the knowledge and experience base here on the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum. Your just a young buck, I had a 07 Versys and now a 2015 650 ABS , been riding 46 years, yes I am 68. Never too late, two very important things, always expect someone is out to run you over, take a motorcycle safety course, the fact you have been driving for many years should give you a bit of a edge. Steer clear of riding in large groups, very easy to not being alert of your surroundings when in a group.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the welcome and the advice onewizard. I do plan on taking some MSF courses...they offer them free through work and figured they would be the best place to start....and the Basic Rider Course gets me past the riding portion of the License process
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys has a couple of advantages. It is a great, probably the best in the price, all rounder. It also has a very comfortable upright seating position. One issue though is that it has a higher center of gravity which if you are short (<31 inseam) and don't install a lowering kit will cause additional challenges with slow speed maneuvering.

As a new rider you will want to install SW-Motech engine/crash bars to prevent damage to the bike during the inevitable tip overs. If you have less than a 31 inch inseam you will likely also want to also install Speedy's lowering kit to lower the bike 1". 32" or over inseam you will likely prefer the bike without the lowering kit.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-14-2018 at 10:13 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome............old dogs "can" learn new tricks. Enjoy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The Versys has a couple of advantages. It is a great, probably the best in the price, all rounder. It also has a very comfortable upright seating position. One issue though is that it has a higher center of gravity which if you are short (<31 inseam) and don't install a lowering kit will cause additional challenges with slow speed maneuvering....
ANOTHER advantage of the 'height' is that your eyes are ABOUT level w/ pickup driver's eyes, so you can see OVER a lot!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. I agree with twowheels that, if your inseam is less than 30 inches, lowering the Versys makes a significant difference. I installed the Moto Werk (aka Speedy's) lowering block and also lowered the forks as recommended and found it much easier to balance the bike while stopped. More confidence means more enjoyable riding in my opinion.

And although the MSF course isn't perfect, it does introduce you to basic "good" riding habits. Understand, however, that riding slowly in a parking lot does not readily translate to riding comfortably or safely on public roadways. Practice and continuing education are both very good things to remember. It's rarely too late to learn so enjoy your new experience! Disclaimer: I'm knocking on the door of my 73rd year and still love riding.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Welcome aboard. I agree with twowheels that, if your inseam is less than 30 inches, lowering the Versys makes a significant difference. I installed the Moto Werk (aka Speedy's) lowering block and also lowered the forks as recommended and found it much easier to balance the bike while stopped. More confidence means more enjoyable riding in my opinion.

And although the MSF course isn't perfect, it does introduce you to basic "good" riding habits. Understand, however, that riding slowly in a parking lot does not readily translate to riding comfortably or safely on public roadways. Practice and continuing education are both very good things to remember. It's rarely too late to learn so enjoy your new experience! Disclaimer: I'm knocking on the door of my 73rd year and still love riding.
Welcome!! I just took up riding in 2016 at age 49. I am hooked. I rode dirt bikes as a kid but the road is very different. Take you time, take the MSF course as mentioned by others and continue to learn. I like this guy, he has a whole series of riding tips. I find many of them very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4...htTYiBqsiziudQ and he is just now making a series for new riders. he releases a vidoe a week. Be safe, and get decent riding gear!!! Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boot.

Jim
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again to the fresh welcomes, and new advice.

I am 6'2", 210ish. I have sat on an x300, easily flatfooted.

If anything, I constantly question if the 300x is "enough" bike, or should I go with something bigger. I have read the "I'm 6'1" 315 lbs" thread on here, and have considered starting a similar thread about 210 lbs, but since we're going that way here, I'll ask here. (Admins, if this needs its own thread, just say the word)

I have watched and read A LOT of reviews and video, and most agree that while not a rocket, the bike will propel you to highway speeds even if you are a 200-225 pounder. I think the Revzilla guy that did a review was 6'1" 200+.

Also, so far every review has indicated the suspension is well done, especially for new riders. Everyone also pretty much says its lightweight, so, when coupled with its slow power come on, its good handling characteristics, and its light weight, it makes is a very good "starter bike."

I'll add, my intended use is to stay off the interstate. If I have to go somewhere that requires a couple of hours at 70-75mph on the interstate, I'm taking the weather immaterial car and going so I can just get there.

I want to travel state highways, the Blue Ridge Parkway, back roads, etc., on the bike, and see the east coast that has always tore past the window, but not really been "experienced." Couple that with some hard-packed, dirt roads like old NC Hwy 105, which runs along the west rim of Linville Gorge, and you get where I intend to go with the bike, and why based on the information out there, it seems to fit my bill exactly.

My wife is 5'5" 120lbs (mention that and we are both in trouble ) and has riding experience and she also really likes the x300 as well.

So, I have read and watched everything I could run across and joined here to couple that with input from people who actually have, and ride the x300, because they typically aren't trying to sell anything, only (in my experience on these type forums) pass on their good/bad experience that may help me not make the same mistakes, or minimize them.

Long story short! So, thoughts?

The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 PM

once you get your license there is also free advance course you can take just do not remember the name but was put on by the police force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode