2017 Versys 650LT Needs some parts - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question 2017 Versys 650LT Needs some parts

Hi all. I'm a West Coaster who bought a Versys 650LT in LA and drove it up to Sunnyvale, Ca where it now resides. Awesome bike but I had to keep it at low RPM during break-in. Need some obvious help with parts that many of you would easily know but seem hard for me to find an answer to:

1) Does anyone know if the 2017 will take a centerstand? If so which one is best? Part Number?

2) Bigger Windshield for the 2017 which one is at least 20" tall and wide for touring for the 2017? Can't seem to find a good one that is not two piece adjustable which I don't like.

I love the bike. Five years ago I had a Kawasaki Concours. It was a 2009 but I really had a hard time steering that bike and it sucked up so much gas. Now with this bike the 650 seems nimble and still very spry and fun to ride. I'm really happy with my selection after the first 400 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Well if eBay is correct the 2015-2016 will also fit the 2017......2016 Kawasaki KLE650/KLE650 LT Versys ..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-VE...-/182965300381

I have the tall touring windscreen. I use it at the lowest setting most of the time until i do more freeway riding....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Parts for Kawasaki Versys 650 LT | Accessories International

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:03 PM

Garage
I installed the SW-Motech centerstand on my '17. The installation is pretty involved and I did need to open up 2 of the 3 holes on the main RH bracket.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Drilling the holes sounds pretty ugly to me. Glad you had the energy to do that while forking over the $280+ dollars. How hard is it to get up on the stand for you? Thanks for your post. Mark
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 AM

Garage
Yeah, it was disappointing that the bracket hole pattern did not match quite right. All 3 holes in that bracket are used with 8mm bolts so theoretically they should all be the same size. But the middle hole was already drilled slightly larger, most likely to aid alignment, but I had to open up the other 2 holes to the same larger diameter (3/8" I think). Here's a great article that shows all the details.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/2015-ka...-stand-review/
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Madstad for the windshield.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I mounted a Hepco Becker center stand. Holes did line up perfectly.

The clearance for the drive chain is quite small necessitating frequent chain adjustments. However, I ground off some of the main mount area of the stand with an air grinder at about a 45* angle that helped immensely in this regard. Very stout frame on it so no worries.

Getting the bike up on the stand is stupid easy, especially compared to my old c-10 Connie.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM

Welcome! There are long threads here on both the center stand and the windshield issues for Gen3s.

Bottom line for the center stands is that there are two on the market: SW-Motech and Hepco-Becker. The SW-M has interference issues with the side stand (which may or may not be a big annoyance for any given user) and the H-B has potential interference issues with the drive chain (which may or may not be a big deal for any given user, and there aren't many actual reports of interference, just the potential for it). A few, but not many, users report installation issues with the SW-M (and most report that it isn't necessary to trim the plastic lower cover as SW-M directs). The H-B apparently has no installation issues. There has recently been an unbranded center stand pop up on eBay; I haven't seen any reports from buyers yet. Kawasaki could've done us all a big favor by either providing a center stand as standard, or offering a fully engineered and tested one as an option. All my prior bikes have had factory center stands, none of which had any issues whatsoever. Also, be aware that certain center stands may prevent installing certain aftermarket exhaust systems if that's something you may be considering.

Bottom line for the windshield is that it is very dependent upon personal preferences, height, other installed options/farkles, etc., even ear plug/helmet preferences. Many of us have tried two or more aftermarket shields before settling on one. The good news is that there are often shields for sale on this forum with very few miles on them. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome.............I can't address your question about the center stand but for the touring shield I use a Givi 4114ST and it works quite well. Not like being behind a batwing fairing but still not bad.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:34 AM

Hello and Welcome, I installed a Madstad on my 2017 650 LT and it works really well in conjunction with my Shoei Neotec helmet. Many times helmet choice has a huge effect on buffeting issues. It was my third purchase of a Madstad windshield and each one (BMW F800 GS and Suzuki DR650) worked beautifully. Although the Madstad is pricy compared to some, I've always found it money well spent. When something works one soon forgets about the price. If you get a Madstad be sure and order it as tall as possible in the low position while still being able to see over the top. This will give you the most adjustment as you can move the shield up and down as well as the angle of tilt. Sometimes it takes a while to find the sweet spot but of all the windshields Iv'e had it has always worked best for me.( 6' 2" with 34" inseam). I always get a light tint and it looks great on the Versys with no turning clearance problems. I installed the Hepco Becker center stand as it doesn't have the clearance issue with the side stand that the SW Motec has. The chain does touch the frame of the stand when the bike is parked on it, but does not touch when you are sitting on the bike. I haven't ground anything off the stand for clearance, but may in the future as I like to oil my chain with the bike in gear on the stand. I know it's not recommended for safety sake but I've always done it that way and at almost 67 years old I'm not likely to change the procedure anytime soon. Hope this helps. As with all advice of this nature, what works for one may not be the answer for others. Good Luck and Safe Riding !
'

Last edited by Silverbullet; 01-06-2018 at 05:43 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnobbyGuy View Post
I installed the SW-Motech centerstand on my '17. The installation is pretty involved and I did need to open up 2 of the 3 holes on the main RH bracket.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017
I have same stand, I did not have to open any holes. sounds like variation in parts so you may or may not need to. it was fairly involved but doable by a DIY-er. works well other than the kickstand issue which is minor. The Hepco Becker stand looks like a simplier and better design to me (looking at photos). I did not know about it when I bought the SW-motech
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I have the most formation to move forward. I really appreciate having a forum to get some help. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017, center stand, centerstand, windshield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode