Hi! Need advice, 2009 or 2010 Versys 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By LifeLongRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Need advice, 2009 or 2010 Versys 650

I just sold my Suzuki DR125 and am looking at buying either a 2009 or 2010 Versys 650. I have found one of each for sale and they are both about the same price / mileage.

Read up on the changes for the 2010 line (headlight, rubber engine mount and other stuff).

Can I get opinions on which one would be the better way to go?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The one that looks to be the best maintained if the looks of one over the other doesn't sway you. Personally, I passed on a barely used '09 back in '11 for a song in favor of a new '11 at a great price.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Need More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
I just sold my Suzuki DR125 and am looking at buying either a 2009 or 2010 Versys 650. I have found one of each for sale and they are both about the same price / mileage.

Read up on the changes for the 2010 line (headlight, rubber engine mount and other stuff).

Can I get opinions on which one would be the better way to go?

Thanks!
To give a educated answer I would need to know the mileage , that has a larger bearing than the year. The rubber mount on the engine isn't a big factor, I had a 07 Versys , now a 2015 650 ABS, the ABS is significant, the difference between the 07 and 2015 as to engine vibration, not noticeable to me .
The mileage is directly related to the bike maintenance, several things need attention for either bike, brake fluid change, condition of fork seals, tire condition, charging system, all of these I would class as something to pay attention to and if they have been done or checked within the last 2 years fine, the last charging system can be very expensive if updating to OEM , around $500 for the stator, better and cheaper ways to go if you follow my advice. What is significant is the valve shim check which is also directly related to vacuum sync, this can not only be very expensive, if ignored can be the root cause of engine failure. Many have found tight valves at half the recommended mileage, my 2015 I did at 11000 KM , one tight exhaust valve, my 07 I did at roughly 30,000 KM , 2 tight exhaust valves and one intake valve out of spec.. The 2010 they started with pre-wiring a auxiliary outlet and a auxiliary fused / switched circuit. So the choice is yours, dependent on more information and photos.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! They both have about 16,000 miles on them.

The tires looked good.

I'll look at the fork seals, but what am I looking for? Leaks?

The valve stuff, I don't have a clue on that.

What's an easy way to check the charging system? Just put a multimeter on the battery posts and look for 14.4 v or something like that?

One of them does have a Yoshimura pipe and crash bars around the engine. The other is stock but has been lowered one inch.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the responses! They both have about 16,000 miles on them.

The tires looked good.

I'll look at the fork seals, but what am I looking for? Leaks?

The valve stuff, I don't have a clue on that.

What's an easy way to check the charging system? Just put a multimeter on the battery posts and look for 14.4 v or something like that?

One of them does have a Yoshimura pipe and crash bars around the engine. The other is stock but has been lowered one inch.
Fork seals usually don't show problems before 50,000 KM although it depends on your riding. Valve shim check should be considered, although we have a excellent step by step in the How To Forum. I would suggest asking the owner of each what exactly was maintained and by them or the dealer. We have witnessed some terrible dealer maintenance or let us say what was paid for isn't what was done. As to the stator, not sure if the owner would allow you to do my test, which confirms the state of the most expensive part, the stator.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...testing+stator

I would consider the one with the stock pipes, the crash bars are a good addition if they are SW Motech. As to lowering, both my 07 and 2015 are lowered using Speedy lowering link, best to describe what method was used.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-01-2018 at 08:32 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:10 PM

Garage
After market exhausts are generally louder then stock mufflers, so I would go with the stock exhaust.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:19 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
personally i love my 08 (same as 09) when i first saw pics of it i thought the front was kinda off looking but in person fell in love with it, and still loving it at 40k miles on the clock

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am not sure how the vibration is on 2010+ and 2015+ bikes, the 1st gen Versys does vibrate a fair bit and will make your hands go numb after 45-60 minutes.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

It's a done deal, sitting in the garage!!

Green 2009 Versys with 16,000 miles. $2690 USD.

Has the Yoshimura pipe, and SW Motech crash bars.

It also has some Pannier looking bars on the back with a sticker that says SW Motech. There were a couple of Rigid brand hard cases attached to it, like Pelican cases. LOL, looked like I was going to Home Depot. I took those off already. They were not quick disconnect but were bolted on with steel bar plates. I'll have to see what cases are designed to attach to it.

It has a seat that says Seat Concepts, some sticker thing on the gas tank thats says ProGrip, and what looks like an aftermarket gear indicator by Gear 8 Idea. Tires are Michelin Pilot Power 2CT with plenty of tread.

Could someone do me a favor and send a PM to user Ndv21 to contact me:

I'd like to buy the lowering kit he has in the classifieds but system won't let me send messages as I'm too new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180102_165833.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	140273  

Last edited by LifeLongRider; 01-04-2018 at 10:12 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

For Sale

Quote:

It also has some Pannier looking bars on the back with a sticker that says SW Motech. There were a couple of Rigid brand hard cases attached to it, like Pelican cases. LOL, looked like I was going to Home Depot. I took those off already. They were not quick disconnect but were bolted on with steel bar plates. I'll have to see what cases are designed to attach to it.

It has a seat that says Seat Concepts, some sticker thing on the gas tank thats says ProGrip, and what looks like an aftermarket gear indicator by Gear 8 Idea. Tires are Michelin Pilot Power 2CT with plenty of tread.

I'd like to buy the lowering kit he has in the classifieds but system won't let me send messages as I'm too new.
Also sent PM to http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1367778-post3.html
PM sent

NOTE at about 8PM today you should be able to send PM. Also note there are several for sale adds with additional farkles available for the 2009, you need to view the whole add. Highway pegs and lowering pegs, both I wouldn't be without!!

Last edited by onewizard; 01-03-2018 at 08:15 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:

I have a lowering link for sale and also a rear hugger which will work with it. I can post pics using my email. [email protected]
Thanks, Mark
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I feel like a dunce, but after looking at the moto today I discovered that it already has the Moto Werk lowering kit installed.

As long as I'm in dunce mode, can someone tell me what these 2 black bars are for? They were in one of the Home Depot pannier cases I got. And also, can anyone ID the windscreen on my bike...is is stock or does it look like an aftermarket?

Going to change the oil and filter this weekend, then adjust the chain as it has a little too much slack. Everything else looks good! Probably change the spark plugs, air filter, and brake fluid in the next month or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180102_165945.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	140441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180104_192908.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	140449  

2009 Versys 650
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks! I feel like a dunce, but after looking at the moto today I discovered that it already has the Moto Werk lowering kit installed.

As long as I'm in dunce mode, can someone tell me what these 2 black bars are for? They were in one of the Home Depot pannier cases I got. And also, can anyone ID the windscreen on my bike...is is stock or does it look like an aftermarket?

Going to change the oil and filter this weekend, then adjust the chain as it has a little too much slack. Everything else looks good! Probably change the spark plugs, air filter, and brake fluid in the next month or two.
im not sure but i think they might be someones maybe homemade side case mounts? (try holding them up to the bike and see if that bracket patches up with the pillion handles)

yes im a guy.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:33 PM

Garage
also i find your windshield quite interesting. thats two of the factory screens bolted together upside down

yes im a guy.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
also i find your windshield quite interesting. thats two of the factory screens bolted together upside down
I see the LOWER one as reversed, then another added on top, right-way up.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
That is hilarious! I wonder why they decided to do that. Think I'll take one off and mount it correctly and see how I like it.

Just got the oil changed and am going to tighten up the chain as soon as I finish reading about the steps.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a little riding in!

2009 Versys 650
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
That is hilarious! I wonder why they decided to do that. Think I'll take one off and mount it correctly and see how I like it.

Just got the oil changed and am going to tighten up the chain as soon as I finish reading about the steps.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a little riding in!
most of us 1st geners found the stock windshield works best mounted upside down (if you are of the taller nature) that is the first time ive seen two stock ones put together like that. and as for your chain, just remember that a tight kills the chain, sprockets, bearings, and other internal components. so make sure you dont over tighten your chain and also check your slack im multiple places on it (chain almost never wear perfectly evenly)

yes im a guy.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks to everyone for welcoming me. Here is my final post on this thread and I'll move to the regular forum boards for any further questions.

End of week wrapup:

Super pleased with my acquisition. Was not familiar with the Versys model before I saw it and I liked it instantly. (had a Ninja 600 back in 1987 for a few years) So glad I went with this one as it had many aftermarket options already installed.

Changed the oil and filter, adjusted the slack in the chain and cleaned and lubed it. Trickle charged the battery. Washed it. Rode it! Picked up the rear wheel stand from H freight. Everyone freaks out when I tell them its a 2009, it looks brand new!

See you on the road....
onewizard and silviefox like this.

2009 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode