Is this worth is? Clip ons? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is this worth is? Clip ons?

I'm looking at getting a versys that I found on Craigslist and wonder is the millage and price is good for it. He wants 3250 or best offer and it has 15k miles on a 2008. He has done some mods since he is a tall guy. I will post what mods and picture in a minute. Is that price good for it?

My plan was to get rid of those bars and put clip ons on it for the sportbike naked look and feel. Is that possible or would that damage the fork legs when it is clamped on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

His ad. He told me he has all original parts that will come with it

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
approx. 14km--still ride it daily
all maintenance has been performed, and is up to date: plugs, oil change, coolant flush, air filter, ect...
the reason I'm selling it,I need a bigger bike.
I have removed the fairing pieces and added some taller bars/risers, & installed motowerx peg lowering kit.
I installed jardine gp1 slip on can, & trailtech racelight, & went one tooth down on the front sprocket to get my big behind off the line quicker. also installed swingarm spools
gets 45+MPG
TORQUE MONSTER
I'm asking $3250 o.b.o. or trade for a 1000cc or bigger ,2000 or newer, looking for a sport bike, ZRX1200, ect...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:44 AM

If it was stock and $3250 it would be a great price.

I imagine this one's been crashed or worse..why else do that to it? It's sure not appealing. At least to me.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

he said it will come will all the orginal farings. i think he was trying to go for the naked look. he is 6' 6" so that was why he did the really tall bars
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM

At 3250, I'd say thats a pretty good deal, but you'd still have some work ahead of you to make it look good. That tank still has all the fairing mounting points welded to it. The light mount for that off road only light will interfere with installing clip-ons. The control cables also need to be replaced if you are going to use much lower bars.

I'f you are wanting to start a naked/streetfighter project than I'd say go for it. Looks like fun to me.

"No man shal be debarred the use of arms" "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM

I would make him put it back stock first just so you have a clean starting point

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I dont think id want for him to put it back to stock. since he would be doing it just to sell it he woulnt care as much and spend the time to do it the correct way.

Tailgun. i was planning on cutting the fairings like first did just to cover the tank. he didnt change cables to put those tall bars so would i need to change them to do clip ons with a 2.5 rise? How much room do the clip ons take under the fork top plate? Trying to see if they will work with that light for now
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Yes, not replacing the cables from stock lenght when using clip-ons can cause some issues. I would swap them out for a set from an er6n right away.

The clip-ons I have would not work with that type of light mount. They take up almost 2" of hight on the fork tubes.

Also, using any amout of the stock plastic mounted to the tank will create clearance issues with clip-on bars. At full lock my bars stop inside of where the tank fairings would be.

"No man shal be debarred the use of arms" "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

What cables need to be replaced? Just trottle and clutch or everything? I was also thinking of using stock bars for now too
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM

The original windshield and fairing provide needed wind protection for the upright rider. IMO they also make the bike look better. I would investigate whether the bike has been crashed and do the original fairings (undamaged) come with the bike. The price is awesome given the mileage and year but the bike is worth a lot more with the original fairings and windshield and much less without. Most riders go the opposite direction and install bigger windshields than stock, not remove them.

Last edited by Sprocket; 08-24-2012 at 09:25 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

I got it today and payed $2,800 for it. Started removing all that crazy high ways and peg lowering stuff. Going street fighter look so cleaned up some wiring I didn't like too
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Nice!!! That's an awesome deal.

Post up some pics when you get a chance.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

here is the link to my bike now. already started working on it
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...923#post213923

Firefighter/EMT
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 PM

The headlamp in proper position already made it look 100 times better.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

I don't understand. I didn't adjust the headlight. I put stock bars on and mounted gauges on the light it's self

Firefighter/EMT
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 PM

Ah, sorry, my bad - I've just noticed how headlight is closer to the handlebars and dash, so it's about eh position relative to the bars. Anyway, just saying that it looks much more balanced now.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Ah I understand you well thank you. Follow my build, I plan on doing a lot more to it.

Firefighter/EMT
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 AM

sounds like a bargain to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode