Kawasaki NV650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

 11Likes
  • 1 Post By XenMoto
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Rebel13
  • 1 Post By Rebel13
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By red liner
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Rob9876
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
XenMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: India
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Kawasaki NV650

Hello folks from India. I'm running a Ninja 650 (2012) but with the Versys fork setup

Normally it looks like a Ninja but slightly taller
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1505283304585.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	138289

But for off-road expeditions there's an off-road kit which makes things minimal and robust.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170828_181409_766.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	138297

The Versys wasn't sold until late 2015, and I didn't see the point of selling the ninja and getting the versys. I imported the Versys forks, clamps, riser, rear shock(2010 model) from US. The stock N650 suspension is simply inadequate for anything other than good tarmac.

I ended up here after reading lots of useful info about the 650 platform. Right now I'm going through the burnt stator syndrome so will be posting around looking for a updraded fix over the stock setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170917_102758_187.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	138305
red liner likes this.

Last edited by XenMoto; 12-09-2017 at 09:09 PM.
XenMoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,906
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
XenMoto likes this.
onewizard is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,906
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenMoto View Post
Hello folks from India. I'm running a Ninja 650 (2012) but with the Versys fork setup

Normally it looks like a Ninja but slightly taller
Attachment 138289

But for off-road expeditions there's an off-road kit which makes things minimal and robust.
Attachment 138297

The Versys wasn't sold until late 2015, and I didn't see the point of selling the ninja and getting the versys. I imported the Versys forks, clamps, riser, rear shock(2010 model) from US. The stock N650 suspension is simply inadequate for anything other than good tarmac.

I ended up here after reading lots of useful info about the 650 platform. Right now I'm going through the burnt stator syndrome so will be posting around looking for a updraded fix over the stock setup.

Attachment 138305
Simple fix is in the How To Forum, install a series regulator and any stator will work.
XenMoto likes this.
onewizard is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,558
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
XenMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: India
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Simple fix is in the How To Forum, install a series regulator and any stator will work.
Thank you for the welcome onewizard & weljo2001!


I've been reading precisely your inputs on the matter.

I'm looking to rewind the coil as a new stator + regulator here is an obscene $700 equivalent. So it seems that the Polaris regulator and coil rewind seems to be best + repair upgrade. The rectifier seems to be alright as per the workshop manual test of hooking up with three batteries and a load. I guess it's just the aging and super hot climate over here.. but I'll still go in for the regulator upgrade rather than staying with the stock unit as it seems to be culprit in blowing up the stator

Why doesn't Kawasaki use the series regulator from the factory? Cost cutting much ?

Fortunately I have a onboard voltmeter so I stopped using the bike the moment the voltage readings were off from usual. The coil still charges as of now but only above 3k rpm. I have a CBR250 as a standby so will take all precautions to fix the Ninja
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171122_132311-02.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	138313

Last edited by XenMoto; 12-09-2017 at 09:27 PM.
XenMoto is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Member
 
Rebel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Georgia, United States
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome!

I'm in the process of working on something simular, but is currently on pause do to two, new to me bikes within a couple weeks. After I finish up the bike I am working on, do to less work to finish, I will be getting back to it very soon!

The good thing about using the Ninja, you have more power all around and it is more forgiving than a versys, they are tuned differently. The Ninja is a superb platform, have fun with it!
XenMoto likes this.
Rebel13 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
XenMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: India
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Welcome!

I'm in the process of working on something simular, but is currently on pause do to two, new to me bikes within a couple weeks. After I finish up the bike I am working on, do to less work to finish, I will be getting back to it very soon!

The good thing about using the Ninja, you have more power all around and it is more forgiving than a versys, they are tuned differently. The Ninja is a superb platform, have fun with it!
The 650 motor is kind of ideal for touring in India, the bike is happy with the fuel we get here and fast enough to stay ahead of all. Only thing was the rather low ground clearance on the stock setup, which was solved by the Versys swap. I'm going to keep this motorcycle till it's run into the ground. (While adding other motorcycles in the future)
XenMoto is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Member
 
Rebel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Georgia, United States
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenMoto View Post
The 650 motor is kind of ideal for touring in India, the bike is happy with the fuel we get here and fast enough to stay ahead of all. Only thing was the rather low ground clearance on the stock setup, which was solved by the Versys swap. I'm going to keep this motorcycle till it's run into the ground. (While adding other motorcycles in the future)
The 650 is the perfect size! Low cost out the door and insurance wise. Plenty of power for one or up to, two touring. I never had any ground clearence issues with a Ninja 650 lowered, unless you are going over curbs or the like, let alone stock height or taller. It also has a high mpg for what it is. It will last a very long time as long as you take care of it!
XenMoto likes this.
Rebel13 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,906
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenMoto View Post
Thank you for the welcome onewizard & weljo2001!


I've been reading precisely your inputs on the matter.

I'm looking to rewind the coil as a new stator + regulator here is an obscene $700 equivalent. So it seems that the Polaris regulator and coil rewind seems to be best + repair upgrade. The rectifier seems to be alright as per the workshop manual test of hooking up with three batteries and a load. I guess it's just the aging and super hot climate over here.. but I'll still go in for the regulator upgrade rather than staying with the stock unit as it seems to be culprit in blowing up the stator

Why doesn't Kawasaki use the series regulator from the factory? Cost cutting much ?

Fortunately I have a onboard voltmeter so I stopped using the bike the moment the voltage readings were off from usual. The coil still charges as of now but only above 3k rpm. I have a CBR250 as a standby so will take all precautions to fix the Ninja
Attachment 138313
I can say I have helped members on this forum all over the world, at least 4 through PM. My first advice would be to buy a used Polaris regulator, when you are ready I can point out good buys. Buy a Triumph harness as posted in the How To Thread.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...gs-2015-a.html

I have a thread that explains why a China Star stator will last as long or longer provided you follow my advice;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ks-stator.html

One person on this forum rewound the stator by hand, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...rewinding.html I don't recommend it, you can buy a new China stator that will last longer than the OEM, provided you convert to the Polaris / series regulator. I have a explanation for that in http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...fo-2017-a.html


As to continued use I thought this thread might help http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ut-stator.html


Revision to triggering headlight relay 2017
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=brake+trigger

Triumph Harness http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...42-post16.html
red liner and XenMoto like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-11-2017 at 09:12 AM.
onewizard is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,533
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenMoto View Post
...Why doesn't Kawasaki use the series regulator from the factory? Cost cutting much ? ...
Ye$ - co$t....
XenMoto likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
XenMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: India
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!



Ye$ - co$t....
Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I can say I have helped members on this forum all over the world, at least 4 through PM. My first advice would be to buy a used Polaris regulator, when you are ready I can point out good buys. Buy a Triumph harness as posted in the How To Thread[/url]
Thank you! The stator problem is one of the most infuriating kind I've encountered on a generally troubledfree 650 platform.

Yes I'll probably order a China Y pattern stator instead of the OEM delta, meanwhile I'll also rewind the stock burnt stator by myself to keep as a spare. I absolutely hate the downtime caused by this as winter is the peak season to ride here.

So yes I'm ready to order the Polaris used series regulator + stator. I still haven't found the triumph wiring harnesses post yet amongst the links in your reply.

Thanks a lot again! If continuing in this thread is inappropriate we can continue the discussion in the appropriate thread.
XenMoto is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Welcome on board Mr S. Been following your exploits on the KNOG Facebook group. I was the only active Indian out here with my share of questions, good to have you around as well
XenMoto likes this.

Last edited by red liner; 12-11-2017 at 01:16 AM.
red liner is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,906
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Triumph Harness / Headlight Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenMoto View Post
Thanks for the welcome!


Thank you! The stator problem is one of the most infuriating kind I've encountered on a generally troubledfree 650 platform.

Yes I'll probably order a China Y pattern stator instead of the OEM delta, meanwhile I'll also rewind the stock burnt stator by myself to keep as a spare. I absolutely hate the downtime caused by this as winter is the peak season to ride here.

So yes I'm ready to order the Polaris used series regulator + stator. I still haven't found the triumph wiring harnesses post yet amongst the links in your reply.

Thanks a lot again! If continuing in this thread is inappropriate we can continue the discussion in the appropriate thread.
I added the additional links, even I had trouble finding them, so I have copied this post into a sticky related to burnt stator http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=brake+trigger


These links are also in the above thread.

Revision to triggering headlight relay 2017
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=brake+trigger

Triumph Harness http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...42-post16.html

As to discussion, this is your thread,( restrictions on new members to starting posts in other forums, makes this thread the right way to go) if more information gets added and I feel it contributes to the issue, I will copy those posts into a appropriate thread, and you will be made aware of it.
XenMoto likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-11-2017 at 09:13 AM.
onewizard is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Member
 
Rob9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys is great, but I have to say the off-road Ninja looks pretty cool!
XenMoto likes this.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
Rob9876 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
XenMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: India
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
The Versys is great, but I have to say the off-road Ninja looks pretty cool!
Hey thanks ! (insert *adapt improvise overcome* bear grylls meme)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
Welcome on board Mr S. Been following your exploits on the KNOG Facebook group. I was the only active Indian out here with my share of questions, good to have you around as well
Hmmm I havent yet figured out who exactly you are on KNOG. Someone with a versys with plenty of kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I added the additional links, even I had trouble finding them, so I have copied this post into a sticky related to burnt stator http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=brake+trigger


These links are also in the above thread.

Revision to triggering headlight relay 2017
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=brake+trigger

Triumph Harness http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...42-post16.html

As to discussion, this is your thread,( restrictions on new members to starting posts in other forums, makes this thread the right way to go) if more information gets added and I feel it contributes to the issue, I will copy those posts into a appropriate thread, and you will be made aware of it.
ri
Getting a new stator is problem as of now as due to the weight itself the stator shipping cost is more than the stator cost. Bummer. Ill have to rewind the coil I guess to make the repair cost effective. Since I will rewind the coil should I stick to the OEM delta pattern winding or go for the star winding pattern ? Also so far I only have found two original oem rectifiers for sale.

Polaris OEM RR (https://www.ebay.com/itm/RZR-800-S-I...daHuHh&vxp=mtr)

Polaris OEM RR #2 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Polari...1aIYva&vxp=mtr)

Triumph harness (https://www.shoptriumphparts.com/pro.../T2500676.html)

I did a revision http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/938897-post3.html . What I would advise is to wind it Y connected , but do a almost proper conversion ( use 16 gauge magnet wire)as I changed in that new post. The advantage is , it is very easy to lose count of turns when winding by hand, if you are off in turns between phases , Delta connected you will get circulating currents, the number of turns is greater in Delta so therefore the amount of total insulation of the magnet wire is greater than Y. A mistake in Y on turns per poll will make very little difference other than the individual phase output current may no be identical , but will have very little affect on the output. Voltage per turn is reduced because the line voltage output is 1.732 times the phase output voltage , however phase current and line current are identical connected Y, thus the reason to use 16 gauge magnet wire.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-13-2017 at 09:17 AM.
XenMoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome