Rode a Versys for the first time this weekend - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Ricohoc
Rode a Versys for the first time this weekend

I am in love with the bike, the way it handles, the way it looks, the responsiveness, etc.

But I didn't buy it.

I liken it to a great looking pair of boots that don't fit. I'm 6-2, 235, and I've been riding cruisers. There just didn't seem to be enough distance between the seat and the pegs.

So why did I join this forum? To find out about seat modifications and anything else that would help convince me to buy and do what I have to do to it.

The Kawasaki Versys is one of the only big bikes made in Thailand, where I live now, and it is a perfect bike for our highways and farm roads. I still want one if I can get it to fit me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

And since I have to post twice in this area before I can post anywhere else, I'll add this: Born and raised in Galveston, Texas. I've lived in St. Louis and the New Orleans Areas.

In 2005, about five years before I was scheduled to retire, I started looking for places in the world where I could retire and get a big bang for my buck. I went to the Philippines first, but didn't enjoy it and didn't feel very safe. Second stop was Thailand. I immediately fell in love with the country and the culture -- and did so without visiting Adult Disneyland in Pattaya and Phuket.

From that time forward, I visited twice a year for five years. By the third visit in the second year, I had decided I was going to live there and began bringing clothes and bought a scooter just to get around in town.

On May 22, 2010, I worked my last day and was on a flight to BKK on May 23. I have never looked back.

I tell my friends in the US and even here in Thailand, that if I had found out about this place when I was 40, it would have ruined my life. I would have been trying to get here sooner and without a pension and enough money to live out my days.

"I am a man of peace, but I adore a riot."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I'm aware of the crouch and foot placement. That wasn't a problem. After the third trip on it, I was riding it like I had been on it all my life.

The peg lowering kit and the seat mod may be the ticket. I've looked at some seat mod links, and they were helpful, but mostly for guys lowering their seat, not sitting higher and deeper.

Do you have any reputable links to the peg lowering?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM

If you wantes to stretch out you could also add highway pegs. I am guessing it is probably a familiarity thing vs. comfort.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Skeeter, that would be an option in the US, but not in Thailand. I don't even use the highway pegs on my 1600 Road Star. You cannot relax here -- at all. LOL

Buffaloes, elephants, modified farm tractors, you name it. They cross the road out of nowhwere.

So staying in a riding position is my only option.

But I appreciate the idea, Skeeter.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 AM

I'm 6'2" and 215lbs. I did the Speedy's Peg Lowering Kit (adds 1.25 inches) and a Seat Concepts seat (adds an inch). Then I also did Speedy's handlebar risers (1 inch). I need to switch out the 1 inch Speedy's bar riser for the 2 inch Rox Risers, but other than that I have had no problems with feeling cramped.

Very comfortable set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I'm 6'2" and 215lbs. I did the Speedy's Peg Lowering Kit (adds 1.25 inches) and a Seat Concepts seat (adds an inch). Then I also did Speedy's handlebar risers (1 inch). I need to switch out the 1 inch Speedy's bar riser for the 2 inch Rox Risers, but other than that I have had no problems with feeling cramped.

Very comfortable set up.
Now that sounds like a plan!

Is Speedy's and MotoWerks the same place? If not, do you have any links?

I notice the seat by Seat Concepts rises a bit in the front to keep you off the tank, too. Does it add any depth away from the tank, or just an inch higher?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, Motowerks is Speedy's business.

Spent a couple of days in Thailand last year but was mainly in Malaysia and a short time in Singapore. Got plenty of good Versys riding buddies in Malaysia.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 08-20-2012 at 08:46 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and the clarification on Speedy/MotoWerks, kiwi!

Happy to be aboard!

Let me know when you're back in Thailand! The good weather starts in September and runs through March!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Would like to ride from KL up to Chiang Mai and back one day.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricohoc View Post
Now that sounds like a plan!

I notice the seat by Seat Concepts rises a bit in the front to keep you off the tank, too. Does it add any depth away from the tank, or just an inch higher?
Yes, the SC Seat eliminates the forward sliding problem the stock seat has. Do a forum search and you'll find tons of threads about the SC seat. Some love it, some hate it, but everyone can agree it's the cheapest "custom" seat out there.

I'm in the "love it" camp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
6"2" 33" inseam 280lbs here. First 2 things i did to my bike was the motowerk peg lowering blocks and mirror extenders. Bought a Baldwin Tall Seat but tried many others and settled on the Terry Adcock Flat Seat. There no pillon hump so you can sit back as far as you want. Don't waste your money on the Seat Concepts Seat. Thier located about an hour away from me alot of guys have gone that route because its a cheap route to take and anything is better than the stock seat..http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19946

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Would like to ride from KL up to Chiang Mai and back one day.
I'm in Chiang Mai now, and it's been pouring down rain since 9pm. We are 12 hours ahead of the US depending on your time zone.

I flew here to look at that Versys, but eventually passed on it after two days of contemplation. There will be others for sale over here.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Zatx and weljo, that info is very helpful! Appreciate it!

That flat seat sounds like what I have on my Yamaha Nuevo. I'm going to have to check that out.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricohoc View Post
I'm in Chiang Mai now, and it's been pouring down rain since 9pm. We are 12 hours ahead of the US depending on your time zone.
We are 4 to 5 hrs ahead of you depending on our daylight saving's
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Pretty easy to gain an inch or so on your seat, just make yourself a seat pad with whatever you have available! I use an automotive seat cushion I bought at Walmart almost 4 years ago, adds an inch to the seat height of my Ninja.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode