Another new guy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By wizard07

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to wizard07
Arrow Another new guy

New to this forum is correct. Not new to much else. I've been riding for decades and recently have had an idea to get a Versys for some one up touring. I thought I would sign up here to see what actual owners say about them. I ride one up and like the roads less traveled. I hope to find out the real skinny here and maybe make a friend or two.
Ride safe out there all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome Wizard07

What are you used to riding? Thinking about the 650 or 1000? Where are you located?

No bike satisfies all, but the Versys satisfies many! Very versatile, the Versys.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard07 View Post
New to this forum is correct. Not new to much else. I've been riding for decades and recently have had an idea to get a Versys for some one up touring. I thought I would sign up here to see what actual owners say about them. I ride one up and like the roads less traveled. I hope to find out the real skinny here and maybe make a friend or two.
Ride safe out there all.
Might be a good idea to add your location to your 'profile' so we know where you are. BTW - I tour one-up, and have ridden 145,xxx miles on several Versys 650s.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Welcome Wizard07

What are you used to riding? Thinking about the 650 or 1000? Where are you located?

No bike satisfies all, but the Versys satisfies many! Very versatile, the Versys.
Thanks for the welcome.
Working on finding all of the stuff needing to be done for a new forum. I'm in Texarkana, TX on a work project. My home is actually in central Illinois. The 650 seems to appeal the most to me. My experience runs the gamut from an HD to a GW and an Italian sport tourer. My latest is a 650 Burgman in which I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with. Precisely where the idea comes from to get another 650. The Burgy runs plenty fast enough for two up touring and duty on the interstates when necessary. I am looking for something that can be a limited (read that very limited) in taking gravel and a few dirt roads and that also has a bit more fuel than the Burgman. I've considered the Super Tenere and the V-Strom in both the 650 and 1000 versions but really leaning towards the 650 Versys for size and capabilities and in part just because I think it looks way better than the Stroms of either model. The Tenere still is on the list for shaft drive and cruise control but really wanting a lighter weight bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Might be a good idea to add your location to your 'profile' so we know where you are. BTW - I tour one-up, and have ridden 145,xxx miles on several Versys 650s.

-
Thank you sir. Location being updated as soon as I am done here. Seems like the 650 Versys (s?) have served you well. Precisely the type of bike I'm considering in addition to the above named bike.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. I think you'll find that the Versys 650 is more than up to the task of one-up over roads less travelled. You could certainly shove 1800 ccs and more down the road but the question I keep coming back to is why, unless you're Paul Bunyan or carry the kitchen sink with you.

Back in the days of my youth motorcycles with 500 to 750 cc engines used to be considered large and were ridden all over the world. Now, for reasons that evade me, they're considered "entry-level" machines. I suppose I'm a little reluctant to ride a bike that has an engine larger than my cars. But then the largest car engine is two liters (and that's plenty good too).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Welcome aboard. I think you'll find that the Versys 650 is more than up to the task of one-up over roads less travelled. You could certainly shove 1800 ccs and more down the road but the question I keep coming back to is why, unless you're Paul Bunyan or carry the kitchen sink with you.

Back in the days of my youth motorcycles with 500 to 750 cc engines used to be considered large and were ridden all over the world. Now, for reasons that evade me, they're considered "entry-level" machines. I suppose I'm a little reluctant to ride a bike that has an engine larger than my cars. But then the largest car engine is two liters (and that's plenty good too).
Yep, I'm of the same mind set. When I first starting riding we were all on 50 and 90 and a few 125cc bikes. When a neighbor kid got a 160 we all thought it was a big bike. Fast forward a few years and we were all on 350s and a couple 450cc bikes and thought we were walking in tall cotton. My first 750 came when I was in HS and then the subsequent bigger bikes. After decades of riding and a succession of bigger bikes, I am now back to the idea that smaller is okay. My current 650 is plenty adequate as far as power goes. The lighter weight of the Versys appeals to me. I'm not looking for a true dual sport bike, more like a smaller bike that can do light single track if required and mostly one up touring to a few distant places. Reliability and range are important. 100 plus HP is fun but really I think the current crop of 650 to 1000cc's are all very capable in their own right.
bwag1961 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum. The MK-3 is now 68 HP. I had a 07 Versys and several members convinced me that the 2015 had many improvements, the seat not being one of them.I miss the Corbin seat I had on the 07, but that is all I miss. My son has a Honda 919, 100HP, I have no problem keeping up to him and yes, off the line he will be out front of me, beyond that I have absolutely no desire to ride the 919.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
to the forum. The MK-3 is now 68 HP. I had a 07 Versys and several members convinced me that the 2015 had many improvements, the seat not being one of them.I miss the Corbin seat I had on the 07, but that is all I miss. My son has a Honda 919, 100HP, I have no problem keeping up to him and yes, off the line he will be out front of me, beyond that I have absolutely no desire to ride the 919.
I was wondering what they were rating the new ones at. Not that it makes much difference but good reference points is all. I prefer the seat of the pants feeling I get when riding to let me know what is acceptable or not. Just curious, were there any banner years for improvements of deficiencies to watch for? I'm in the considering it phase currently and if I make the move want to have an idea of what to get or what to avoid. Two things that really make me consider these are the lighter weight and the range/fuel tank size. After the HD and the GW, anything is an improvement in weight reduction. Range is an issue as I like to be able to go about 200 + a little between fuel stops. I like the Burgy but wish for a bit more fuel in the bag for my style of riding. It does seem there are a lot of options for farkles of all types for the Versys which is good.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Range is an issue as I like to be able to go about 200 + a little between fuel stops....
On my '15 I get better gas-mileage than I do on my '08, and the BIGGER tank allows me as much as 300 miles to empty (usually fill around 250 miles). I run mine w/ the "trip-computor" selected to RANGE (gives mileage to 'empty'), and MY experience is that the figures it gives are PESSIMISTIC, so I added a reminder as to how much fuel is remaining once the bottom fuel segment on the fuel gauge BEGINS to blink.

OTOH - I got JUST UNDER 60 mpgUS on my last two fills on the '08, and that's VERY close to the '15's mileage (but STILL a smaller tank)...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
On my '15 I get better gas-mileage than I do on my '08, and the BIGGER tank allows me as much as 300 miles to empty (usually fill around 250 miles). I run mine w/ the "trip-computor" selected to RANGE (gives mileage to 'empty'), and MY experience is that the figures it gives are PESSIMISTIC, so I added a reminder as to how much fuel is remaining once the bottom fuel segment on the fuel gauge BEGINS to blink.

OTOH - I got JUST UNDER 60 mpgUS on my last two fills on the '08, and that's VERY close to the '15's mileage (but STILL a smaller tank)...!

300 miles on a tank would be good. 250 is the minimum I am thinking I would accept. That makes it about 3 1/2 hours give or take between stops. I did see in the specs there was a tank size increase in there somewhere. Up to 5.5 gallons now I think. I would wish for 6 but that bigger is better logic gets in the way of my looking for a lighter weight bike.
The dichotomy of life it seems.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.
Working on finding all of the stuff needing to be done for a new forum. I'm in Texarkana, TX on a work project. My home is actually in central Illinois. The 650 seems to appeal the most to me. My experience runs the gamut from an HD to a GW and an Italian sport tourer. My latest is a 650 Burgman in which I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with. Precisely where the idea comes from to get another 650. The Burgy runs plenty fast enough for two up touring and duty on the interstates when necessary. I am looking for something that can be a limited (read that very limited) in taking gravel and a few dirt roads and that also has a bit more fuel than the Burgman. I've considered the Super Tenere and the V-Strom in both the 650 and 1000 versions but really leaning towards the 650 Versys for size and capabilities and in part just because I think it looks way better than the Stroms of either model. The Tenere still is on the list for shaft drive and cruise control but really wanting a lighter weight bike.

Thank you sir. Location being updated as soon as I am done here. Seems like the 650 Versys (s?) have served you well. Precisely the type of bike I'm considering in addition to the above named bike.
What part of Central Illinois. North part or South? We live near Effingham.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRuffner View Post
What part of Central Illinois. North part or South? We live near Effingham.
Just outside of Peoria when I get the chance to go home.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I did see in the specs there was a tank size increase in there somewhere. Up to 5.5 gallons now I think....
Yup, 5.5 US gallons now.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yup, 5.5 US gallons now.
Really a big selling point for me. I like the looks of the 650 cruiser type that Kawasaki builds but the 3.7 gallon (?) tank is a turn off. 5.5 is great. Good range and it looks good on the Versys. I know they make an even smaller model and I know there have been many to take way smaller bikes around the world but I want to be on one that can do the occasional jaunt down the slab without strain. 650 seems to be a good number in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode