09 Vulcan Custom to Versys?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By allanwright

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
09 Vulcan Custom to Versys??

HI,

Been riding my 09 Vulcan custom for 5 years now and think it's time for a my second and next bike. I don't consider myself a street racer or heavy touring fan at but am looking for more fun and adventure in my ride. While the Vulcan 900cc is enough for me the 503lb bike sort of lumbers in the mid-range and I'm looking for some more pep and excitement. I rarely travel over 70mph but I'm feeling a bit bored on the Vulcan and looking for more fun. At 6'2" and 225lbs, 32" inseam, I've always seen the Versys and VStrom (sorry haters) as a recommendation but am unsure if the Versys 650 has enough get up and go relative to what I'm used to considering I'm looking 250CC, eventhough the Versysy weighs less. Looking for any advice as to whether I would find the Versys650 too timid when I'm looking for more pep and not less. Would the 1000 be a better choice? Any feedback you have is appreciated as well as recommendations on other possible bikes you might recommend.
Thanks,
Magum44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Versys Adventuring on Long Island?

Wondering where Long Island Versys riders take their bikes for adventure. While I understand Versys is not built for 100% off roading, as a cruiser rider, I've never gone off road locally. Is there anywhere on or near Long Island you recommend?
Ty,
Magnum44
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum. As to size, I am 200 LB , 30 inch inseam and the 2015 has 68 horses, I can break any speed limit where I live. I can cruse all day at 80 mph , 2 up, so I don't know what you expect, several members here that had the same Vulcan and went to the Versys.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I changed from an 05' Vulcan 1500 (just got too heavy) to the Versys 650 LT and I like it. Speed, agility, and fun factor are much better than the Vulcan. The Wee Strom has a bit more get-up-and-go but it feels heavier than the Versys.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would say that a Versys 650 would be a good complement to a 900 custom.

Sure the 1000 has more ponies but it is definitely a street bike only. In fact both the 650 and 1000 are street bikes.

Yes, you can take them off road, but you can take your 900 custom off road too if your skilled enough.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM

I'm 6', 235 lbs with a 32" inseam. My '08 V650 has more than enough power for me, and I'm not bored with it yet (bought it in 2009). I'm pretty much a commuter, so I don't take mine on the highway regularly. When I do, it keeps up with traffic just fine...just needs more wind protection. For commuting and/or general backroad riding, I've never once said "I wish I had more power".

I took a test ride on a 2015 VStrom, and when I went from it back to the Versys, the first thing I noticed was how compact the Versys felt in comparison.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 6'2" around 300lbs and the V-650 hauled my fat butt around quite easily. I now have a V-1000 because i just wanted one...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Must have accesories/addons

Hi friends, new to the forum. Just bought my new Versys 650 and was hoping someone could point me to the thread for the top must have add-ons/accessories. I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list but looking for the odds on favorite most folks agree are the top recommended picks, you folks having done the exhaustive work already. Hoping to scopre some black Friday deals before midnight.
Thanks,
Magnum44
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
Heres a good start..https://motowerk.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Garage
Loud Exhaust
Sticky tires
Tail tidy
Rim Tape
Shorty levers
Turn signal eliminate kit.

Oh wait! This isn't the Ninja 650 forum!

For the Versys.

Engine guards
LED running lights
Skenedesign LED run/turn/brake lights
Skenedesign LED Amber run/turn front P3 lights

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:15 PM

16T sprocket. You can always go back to 15T if you feel the need for more power.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 09:17 PM

Garage
Heres a list i did to my V-650....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...rkle-list.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
It all depends on how and where you ride your bike, and what year it is.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 AM

Garage
This is the list of what I added to my 2011 Versys:

Windshield (Kawasaki tall with adjustable wing)
GPS Mount (SW Motech on handlebar clamp)
Heated Grips (Kawasaki)
Power Outlet (Kawasaki)
Relay for above accessories (Kawasaki)
Hand Guard Shells (Kawasaki of EU)
Hand Guard Brackets (Kawasaki)
Radiator Guard
Fender Extender
Engine Guards (SW Motech)
LED Denali Lights (Twisted Throttle)
Denali Light mounts (SW Motech)
Custom Seat (Terry Adcock)
Saddle bag Supports (Kawasaki)
Saddle bags (GIVI V35)
Color Matched Panel on saddlebags (Kawasaki)
LED lights in saddlebags (Admore Lighting)
Soft luggage for saddlebags (GIVI)
Tool Tubes (2) (Farm Supply)
SkeneDesign LED run / brake lights
Highway pegs (SW Motech)
Tank Pad (Kawasaki)
Tank Bag (Kawasaki)
Rear Hugger (Pyramid)
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
V1000 / 650 abs

Well it is nice to see you came to a decision , for me, Highway pegs,lowering pegs, tank bag and heated grips,bark busters,power outlets, seat mod, in that order. Secondary is ; hugger ( Skidmarx ),fender extender, Givi top case and Trekker side cases,GPS ,Denali lights ,tire plugging kit, prop stand, led signal light conversion, phillips led t110 city lights, led headlight conversion possibly 2018.

FYI I combined threads as understanding your previous rides helps in answering your recent post.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum44 View Post
...I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list....
I rode my Gen 3 650LT across Canada and back last summer (8,686 miles) using the OEM windshield at its highest setting. NO buffeting, GOOD rain protection. I'm 5'10" w/ 31" inseam.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list....
I rode my Gen 3 650LT across Canada and back last summer (8,686 miles) using the OEM windshield at its highest setting. NO buffeting, GOOD rain protection. I'm 5'10" w/ 31" inseam.

BTW - I also have a PUIG 5999 'shield which I chose NOT to use.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi friends, new to the forum. Just bought my new Versys 650 and was hoping someone could point me to the thread for the top must have add-ons/accessories. I'm thinking wind screen is top of my list but looking for the odds on favorite most folks agree are the top recommended picks, you folks having done the exhaustive work already. Hoping to scopre some black Friday deals before midnight.
Thanks,
Magnum44
Here a thread I started last March which details what Farkles I have done to my 2016 650, and MANY followups and recommendations from others. Farkle Bang For The Buck

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ck-review.html
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 AM

i have a versys 1000 and can say it is so smooth with a very light (slipper) clutch. it is new 2018 model and just had first 1000 km service. the bike is wonderful (previously had a vulcan s).
only thing to watch is the seat height (had to get used to standing on the pegs to mount and dismount and to flat foot on left leg i have to lean the bike slightly. really depends on your height and inside leg measurement (i am 1.78m tall and only have 30 inch inside leg - not arealproblem just something to get used to after the vulcan/cruiser for me. to sum up the 1000 is by far the best bike i have purchased - hope all goes well.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode