Newbie Versys MK-2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Newbie Versys MK-2

Hi all. Just joined to get info and tips on the Versys.

Was away from riding for 23 years. Decided to start again because my wife rides and I chose the Versys because there was a nice one at a lot where I was checking out a Ducati. I read so many good things about it, I decided to spend the 4 grands on a 4K miles, 2012 model with a heavy duty rear rack and a 2 bros exhaust. I have added a few niceties since (SW Motech engine guards, barkbusters hand guards and Ravetech skid plate). Couldn't be happier with my choice, I absolutely love the bike. I had a Honda CB450 back in the 80s then some dual sports after that. The Versys is by far the best bike I've ever tried. Can't wait to put on the braided steel brake lines and LED aux lights (lighting is the weak point of the bike IMO). I know this may not be the best place for that question but has anyone ever tried the Andreani fork cartridge kits and is it worth installing? how about the Ohlins rear shock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from a fellow Gen2 owner. Sounds like you've go a great start with the modding. Be careful though, you will end up with a bike like mine if you are not careful........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philfree View Post
...how about the Ohlins rear shock?
A lot of us have adapted the Yamaha R1 shock ('07 and '08 R1s), which is close to equivalent to the Ohlins, for MUCH le$$! Here they are on the Gen 3 and Gen 1.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philfree View Post
Hi all. Just joined to get info and tips on the Versys.

Was away from riding for 23 years. Decided to start again because my wife rides and I chose the Versys because there was a nice one at a lot where I was checking out a Ducati. I read so many good things about it, I decided to spend the 4 grands on a 4K miles, 2012 model with a heavy duty rear rack and a 2 bros exhaust. I have added a few niceties since (SW Motech engine guards, barkbusters hand guards and Ravetech skid plate). Couldn't be happier with my choice, I absolutely love the bike. I had a Honda CB450 back in the 80s then some dual sports after that. The Versys is by far the best bike I've ever tried. Can't wait to put on the braided steel brake lines and LED aux lights (lighting is the weak point of the bike IMO). I know this may not be the best place for that question but has anyone ever tried the Andreani fork cartridge kits and is it worth installing? how about the Ohlins rear shock?
I have the same bike with these mods installed.

In my opinion all you need to do is adjust the stock suspension for decent performance and install some decent tires.

AliExpress is the best source of lights at a reasonable cost although you will need either a SW-Motech or Denali mount kit to mount them. I purchased 4000 lumen/per light LED aux lights from them two years ago and have been very happy. I don't see the point of brand name LED lights at 5x the cost as they are identical. Just wire these to your high beam light so they switch with your high beam switch. Look for lights with 3500-4500 lumen output per light. In comparison your high beam headlight puts out about 1200 lumen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1SET...406430723.html

Steel braided brake lines on the front make a big difference IMO but you need to do a good bleed job to get the benefit. The steel braided lines that join at the brake reservoir will interfere with your hand guards. Better to chose the kind that stick to the stock layout with a fender crossover line, although they can be tougher to bleed completely of air. You can modify the hand guards to work with these but then they bang the windshield, at least my Givi aftermarket shield.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all for the feedback, much appreciated. :-)

I was looking at the SuperBright LEDs but TwoWheels' deal seems even better so I'll look into that. I have put 3000 miles on the cycle since bringing it home in January and the original Dunlop look like they may need to be relieved soon; I'm thinking Michelin Pilots to replace and perhaps I'll be happy with that improvement, but I have a strong drive to make this bike the best possible mount, so we'll see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode