Looking to buy a Versys - finally - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking to buy a Versys - finally

Hi - I'm a new member to this forum, live in Yuba City, CA (north of Sac). I've been doing a little research on the Versys since I heard about its engine on the KLR650 forums. I saw a couple for sale on here & on Craigslist, so I decided I needed to join up & try to get my hands on a Versys for myself.

So, as my brother is borrowing my KLR650, and since I've been looking at the Versys for its smoother 2-cylinder engine (that should really be integrated into the next KLR650 dual sport bike), I decided now is the time to find either a used bike or a new one. I've looked around on this site a bit, and there is some discussion as to whether to go with a new (2012 - closeout if I can find a good deal) or used bike. I found a couple 2009 models with around 4-5k miles on them, as well as a 2009 with only 350 miles on it, but with some corrosion due to the fact that for the last 2.5 months, it's sat outside in a coastal town.

The idea of buying a new bike is double-edged; with a new bike, I can get exactly what I want - color, options, known history, etc; however I also will have to pay a higher price & full price on DMV registration, taxes, blah blah blah. The upside of my situation is my brother is a mechanic at a Kawi dealership, so I might be able to get a discount on a new bike price.

I'm going to look at the 2009 coastal bike this weekend, and I may buy it if the amount of corrosion is not too bad & I can get the parts fairly cheaply (lever adjustment knobs, maybe a few other parts/fasteners that are rusted or pitted) through my brother's shop. I will obviously adjust my offer price based on the degraded condition, regardless of the rare low miles on the bike. The guy said he kept it garaged until about 2.5 months ago - don't know the reasoning on that, but not garaging or covering it is going to eat into his price more than a $50 cover or even a $10 tarp...

Any advice on finding/buying a used or new bike would be greatly appreciated, as well as if you know of someone selling one in the northern California area. Also, what are your favorite accessories (rack, luggage, skid plates, tires, etc)? I'm not going to full-on dual sport the bike (I have the KLR650 for that), but I would like to eventually make it more capable for adventure touring, including some light armor, luggage/racks & more aggressive tires. Has anyone found a way to get some Mefo Explorers on these things? What's the most aggressive tire you guys are putting on these bikes?

Cheers,

Aaron

Last edited by suprbst; 08-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

By the way, I guess I need 2 + 48hours to reply to some of the "for sale" ads here, so hopefully this goes by quickly - I'd like to see if anyone in my area has a bike for sale still.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM

Hi Aaron! I bought a leftover 2011 exactly 10 days ago, have a little over 900 miles on it now and love it.

I know there is a dealer in Mt. Vernon OH(as of last week) that has a leftover 2011 in Imperial Red, as well as a 2012 Yellow & black bike in stock. My point.....there are leftover bikes still out there. If your brother works at a Kawasaki dealer, he should be able to find out what dealers closer to you have leftover bikes. I got a very good deal on my 2011(did not buy it from the Mt. Vernon dealer, found one closer), so it was a no brainer for me.

Good luck with your search for a V!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode