Soon-to-be 300 owner in Virginia - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By NieuIsu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Soon-to-be 300 owner in Virginia

Grew up in Dallas; moved to Norfolk this past April for an engineering job.

One day at a past job (foundation repair) I happened upon a garaged 1st-gen KLR and briefly spoke with the owner about it. I'd always had a vague respect for motorcycles but no real interest. For some reason, encountering that KLR gave me the itch.

Having settled into my new home and job here, I recently passed the MSF course and began preparing to buy a bike. I don't like the look of new KLRs and really don't want to bother with 10+ year old carbs, so I settled on the Versys-X 300 as my first bike. After my mandatory two "New Member" posts, I'll be inquiring about the kind of prices people have paid.
Brockie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

And yes, I know the overwhelming wisdom against buying your first bike new. I've owned a lot of used cars and for once I'd like to be 100% sure that the results of a previous owner's abuse or neglect aren't lurking inside the vehicle.

I do expect to drop the bike a least a few times which is why I'll be investing in crash guards (not complete protection, but better than nothing).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NieuIsu View Post
And yes, I know the overwhelming wisdom against buying your first bike new. I've owned a lot of used cars and for once I'd like to be 100% sure that the results of a previous owner's abuse or neglect aren't lurking inside the vehicle.

I do expect to drop the bike a least a few times which is why I'll be investing in crash guards (not complete protection, but better than nothing).
Overwhelming free advice is worth what you paid for it. If you wanna buy a new bike to start out on, then by all means do so. It's your life, do what you wanna do with it! Don't worry about everybody else.

I do however agree with the crash guards. SW-MOTECH Crash Bars Engine Guards for Kawasaki Versys-X 300 '17-'18 | TwistedThrottle.com
is a good place to start. have SWMs on 650 and damned glad for them.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 PM

Garage
Hi from down under. My advice is to be careful and alert while you get to know your motorcycle. Accept that you have no tin box to protect you and behave accordingly, and note that sometimes other road users do not seem to notice motorcycles.
The consequences on a motorcycle are always greater so take care. Try to get time on quiet roads before venturing into heavy traffic. Practice emergency braking and sudden avoidance in an empty parking lot etc.
Motorcycles are exhilarating and fun. Enjoy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

First off, thanks for the warm welcomes! With the wait almost over, it's great to be welcomed by the community of the bike I chose. Even cooler to see how spread across the globe we are.

I see as many motorcyles each week in Norfolk as I did in a month in Dallas (big military presence in this area) and in general drivers here seem to be more accustomed to sharing the rode with them. And one of my coworkers has been riding for about 10 years and has offered to shadow me on city streets a few times so he can coach me on safe riding and general good practices.

Even still, I'm aware of the inherent risks and while I don't expect to use the bike for commuting (at least not for a few months), I'll still take it out more often than "sometimes on the weekends" so I'm actually building skills over time.

While I was binging on Versys-X 300 reviews, I found an installation video for "T-REX Racing" crash bars. They cover more area SWMs and even include their own frame sliders (errr... bar sliders?). Considering how both I are the bike will be new, I'm sure you can understand me opting for as much coverage as I can get. Regardless, I appreciate the suggestion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode