Almost a new guy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Almost a new guy

Hello all, I am on the brink of becoming an owner of a '08 with 35K miles. I am uncertain because there is an awful lot of deferred maintenance. The current owner couldn't tell me how old is the battery, oil (!), chain, or if any scheduled service has been done. It needs tires. He's only owned it for the last 10K. On the plus side, it is loaded: Corbin saddle, fog lights, lowered (it is so very comfortable), Givi bags and topbox, adjustable levers, skid plate, highway pegs, etc...
The big mystery to me is there is a lot of wind coming up from under the nose up past the gas tank directly to my chin. That can't be right, can it? It blows hard at 55 mph+
However, one way or another I will most likely join the owners society since these are a blast to ride.
So...greetings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hello Joe! Welcome to the forum, I have a 2008 and I think the wind you feel in your chin is normal, when I'm not using the protection of the chin for the helmet all my beard moves like crazy

And with the services, I made the oil and filter change myself after buying the motorcycle with 13k, I recently installed an air filter in it, the motorcycle did not have it when I try to change it I also do the cleaning and lubricate the chain , I use the chain motul clean and lub. Not very happy with the lub, I'm thinking of using one that is for offroad.

I do not know how to stretch the chain, so I take it to the store.

For tires it will depend if you are doing off the road or on the road.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome,
I think that we are about the same. The oil and filter is pretty straightforward. But I will have to get 30,000 mi service that I am sure has not been done. I can't do a lot of that. I just hope that the machinery is still in good shape after the neglect.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
For me ....I would get the valves checked,change plugs and clean air filter. Then flush & fill the radiator and check the brake pads. Then adjust the cables and chain if needed and lube them also.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
What Joe (weljo...) said.

aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all,
I will trust in your opinions
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode