1st Versys, 1st Kawasaki, & 1st Post - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

10Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By timster
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By mentolio
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Chief
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1st Versys, 1st Kawasaki, & 1st Post

Hi Everyone,

I Just purchased an '08 Versys from my brother who upgraded to a Concours about a month ago. I recently sold my Harley Softail. It wasn't getting ridden enough for a variety of reasons although I really liked the bike a lot, I missed the performance and sportiness. He owned the Versys for at least the last 7 years. I know he took very good care of it.

It has heated grips, adjustable windshield, custom fitted seat, wiring and handlebar mount for phone/GPS, engine guards, highway pegs, aftermarket muffler, mounting and brackets for a GIVI trunk, (I'll eventually break down and buy the trunk if I start using the bike enough), maybe I'll get lucky and pick a used one up in nice shape for a decent price. The bike is outfitted nicely.

I'm looking forward to having a Japanese bike again. One thing that kinda sucked about the Softail was wanting to get on it once in awhile, but knowing the limits of the bike especially in traffic did not permit doing that safely. I've ridden the Versys once or twice over the years and I know it's something that better suits my riding style.

To hopefully Keep it interesting here is a history of what I've owned over the years,

Broncco Diablo 75cc (circa 73?)
'73 Honda XL 125 set up for Trails
'79 Honda CR 125 (I miss that one the most)
'83 XL 500
'85(?) Shadow 500 (I had a lot of fun with that one)
Took about a 12 year sabbatical from riding
'01 Suzuki RM 250
'03 Yamaha Wolverine 350 with Warn Conversion kit (4x4/4X2)
'07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 (still have that for plowing and puttsing around the trails)
'10 Harley Wide Glide
'12 Harley Softail Heritage Classic (Very comfortable for around town and the long Hauls as well. Cool Bike)
And Now the Versys

Thanks for Reading and Great to be here !!!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum. The robot spam filter didn't like your post, luckily I logged in and approved it. I provide a link to important info for new members, if you read it NP. This is a extremely active forum, with some excellent information and knowledgeable members.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
Chief likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-02-2017 at 09:08 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome.
Chief likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage
Welcome Joe! That is the sweetest deal ever. You bought it from someone you know and its already farkled, and well taken care of! The best thing about going from a Harley to the V? You don't have to spend any time shining the chrome!
Chief likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Chief likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank You for the Welcomes Guys.

Yes the cleaning and shining was one major issue, although there were at least 10, some subtle but still substantial. Cleaning it well took the better half of the day. I'm not big on image, but if you ride a Harley then image is a part of it whether you like it or not. So you wash wax polish, it takes a full day. Then you ride. Well 5 rides and the road grunge is there. You can't dust it off. Everyone tells you how nice the bike looks but you know it looked so much better 5 rides ago. But you ride it anyway because Life Is Short !!! you wanna ride. It took away from the experience.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM

Welcome!

you posted: '79 Honda CR 125 (I miss that one the most)

The Elsinore was a fantastic bike. When I started moto cross racing in 73 I thought I would die if I didn't own the new Elsinore. I didn't have quite enough money, so I bought the Suzuki TM 125. The TM was a good bike, and I won a lot of races, and beat a lot of elsinores. I had several friends that had the Elsinore, and often we would swap bikes on practice days. As I stated the TM was a good bike, but I liked the Elsinore a lot better. Mostly because of the low end grunt, and long wheelies were so easy to do on it.
Chief likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

In 79 they put an 18"(?) rear tire on it and a one of a kind 23" front tire that was only produced by one company. Yeah talk about wheelies LOL. Reading the vintage reviews they are unbelievably comical. Slam it hard... I guess Honda missed the mark in 79 and was surpassed in all areas by the others . It was super tweaky, way too much flex in the frame and forks, and loud as hell. I mean loud and the over rev was to the moon. But what more could a 15 yr old kid want lol. I never got to race but most of those weaknesses on the track made it stronger in the woods. Suddenly with the aquisition of that bike all the hills became launch pads. I bought that one from a friend. I remember it was laying on it's side and my buddy is saying go take it for a ride and I'm just looking at that tiny motor and laughing. Well I get on and start going up the road, it doesn't sound like all those racers so I let it rev and whoa. OK that's more like it. The adrenaline had my hands shaking for an hour. One of the last air cooled dual shock MX bikes made. God Help me if I find one now I'd be helpless. I've seen a few 250's around from that era but no 125's.

It was a great time to be growing up wasn't it ? Around here it was nothing but strip mine, tall culm dumps to climb, and train tracks from one county to the next...

Last edited by Chief; 11-02-2017 at 03:23 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!
Chief likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 04:07 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I too had a Yamaha Wolverine ('05 in white) with the Warn 4x4 to 4x2 conversion. My first and probably last quad, but only because I don't own or live near enough land to ride it. Man I miss that mini-monster!
Chief likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Welcome!

you posted: '79 Honda CR 125 (I miss that one the most)

The Elsinore was a fantastic bike. When I started moto cross racing in 73 I thought I would die if I didn't own the new Elsinore. I didn't have quite enough money, so I bought the Suzuki TM 125. The TM was a good bike, and I won a lot of races, and beat a lot of elsinores. I had several friends that had the Elsinore, and often we would swap bikes on practice days. As I stated the TM was a good bike, but I liked the Elsinore a lot better. Mostly because of the low end grunt, and long wheelies were so easy to do on it.

My first race bike was a 1975 Elsinore 125 loved that bike,,,
Chief likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-02-2018 at 03:59 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

"Welcome to the forum. I too had a Yamaha Wolverine ('05 in white) with the Warn 4x4 to 4x2 conversion. My first and probably last quad, but only because I don't own or live near enough land to ride it. Man I miss that mini-monster!"

Thank You !!! It was my first quad. I thought it would be cool to have something with lights, racks, 4X4/2X4. Did a lot of riding with that, daytime, nighttime, snow, camping, alone, with others..It was everything you could ask for in a quad and that warn kit let it fly instead of tripping over itself. It went days on a tank of gas, not a rocket but plenty enough power. I had full skid plates. It was easy to throw around and had a nice low center of gravity. I'd rip doughnuts in my yard for hours when it snowed cause it was stable and turned tight. Today that's considered a mid size quad but in my opinion these new ones don't stack up. Big gas sucking engines, CVT gives you less control always have to be on the throttle otherwise the engine braking kicks in. There's always a delay after you lock up the brakes and let off, the engine has to catch up to the wheels. Not safe. Also the sheer size and height makes them more tip able on off camber ground, then good luck jumping off and getting away from it...at least the side by sides have a roll cage belts and a lower center of gravity. I let it go just to step up with some of the other guys and looking back it was the ticket but what did I know. Same thing happening everywhere with the land. When they wipe out an entire area that used to be magical and replace it with a field it can be disheartening. I don't ride the newer one as much and that's one reason why. Still earns its keep plowing and there's still some woods around here if I feel like getting away for a few. I've been getting older and having a dog I tend to walk with him instead to keep both of us in some kinda shape lol. Things change.

'08 Versys 650
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

"My first race bike was a 1976 Elsinore 125 loved that bike,,,"

Never met a Honda I didn't like My dad had CM 400 (T?) back in the eighties for a little while. It really was a dog but it always ran. I guess he Musta thought the same about it..he traded for a Shadow and rode it for years...
weljo2001 likes this.

'08 Versys 650
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

First Real Ride

Hi All,

I thought about starting a new thread, but all the history is here so I decided to just continue. I got the paperwork done on the bike last Monday, then Friday it got really cold out, I didn't feel like being on the bike, and my brother who is also a member on this forum, rode the bike to me and called me a wuss. I happily agreed and drove him to his house where I loaded the extras into my car then drove home.

Sunday was gorgeous but time was limited and I was working on other projects, daylight was limited and I opted for a hike with the dog instead. Been on this forum getting a ton of help with my new bike and options so far this week. Tonight I get home and my brother calls and asks me to bring his license plate and bracket (It's from the Tail of the Dragon) to him when I get the chance. I go into the garage and took his plate off, put mine on, I was just going to leave the plate where he could pick it up or until I could get it to him, I started thinking it was warm enough to ride (about 40), so I suited up a bit and took the plate to him. Slammed my knee into the trunk bracket getting on and almost pissed myself. I forced myself to get off for a minute or two to just be focused on the ride, not my knee lol. He's making nice progress on his Concourse, Slider Bars, Air horn, New handlebar setup, etc. Then we went outside and I got to ask him a few questions about the mods he made, what kind of mileage he gets, just enough to get me started. I decided to take the base for the trunk off for now since I haven't gotten a trunk yet and the plate was an eyesore.

Left his house, fueled up, and put about twenty miles or so on. Just getting a feel for the bike. It's going to take a little while but i did get to open it a few times. I like the response, I love the stopping power it actually feels quite amazing. The height is still a bit clumsy coming off the Heritage. Getting used to the controls. Got out on the highway, wind was kicking up a little, I hit around 87 mph and let off. Honest impression the bike is not a rocket, but that's no surprise, It's meant to be quick and it is, but just enough to have a little fun. I'm really not as smooth on it as I need to be. Probably need more time in the saddle. Everything happened a lot slower on the Harley. I got home, took the
trunk plate off, and admired my beautiful new machine. Right now I'm just very happy to have a sporty light fun bike sitting in the garage waiting for me. I'm not planning on any long trips with it but I just kind of got out of that. The riding position is also fairly compact compared to well, you know.. Overall I'm just looking forward to becoming more acquainted with my new ride and hoping we get a few mild days so i have the chance to ride her. He also has one or two Decals that I'll be removing. I'm not a big fan of identifying marks on any of my vehicles lol.

Just had to ramble, It felt great to get on a sporty bike again !!!!

If you're still reading then thanks, just had to share it with others who get it !!!

Joe

'08 Versys 650

Last edited by Chief; 11-15-2017 at 10:05 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
...The riding position is also fairly compact compared to well, you know....
Compared to the H-Ds and other cruisers - it's compact for handling, so you can get weight onto the front tire for cornering.
Chief likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode