Hey There and Questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Nordicyeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey There and Questions

Obligatory newcomer post here. So I'm not a rider myself - at least not yet. Reason I'm getting an account is because I'm trying to fix up a 2008 Versys 650.
Basically, my dad's bike was laid down 3 or 4 years ago. Not too much damage, and pretty much all cosmetic.

As a project, I'm going to:
1. Get it running again (new fuel, oil change, tires?)
2. Fix the issues from it being dumped (new fairings, foot pegs, brake handle, ect.)

Now, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but have never really worked on bikes before, so I need some info on sourcing parts as well as what maintenance I might need to do on it, seeing as it hasn't been started up at all in the years that it was sitting. Luckily, it has been garage stored, and I live in a fairly dry climate, so no visible corrosion is present.

This is going to be sort of a winter project for me, and I'm hoping that come spring (or sooner) I'll be able to get out there!

Nice meeting you all

-Nordic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Check eBay ....When i wreck my 09 i got everything i needed from there...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Check eBay ....When i wreck my 09 i got everything i needed from there...
Thank you. Looking around a bit on there for cowling, the pickings seem pretty slim right now. Hopefully more pop up though.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
As to plastic, I think there may be at least one side on this forum. The MK-1 is about $180 a side.
Post the mileage on the bike. Brake fluid change, engine oil and filter, possibly drive chain and sprockets. First is he mileage and a better to do list will come along. If the valve shim hasn't been done, this would be a good time to do it

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

I have several of the Gen 1 plastic 'bits' available, from a black '07 - BOTH side fairings, BOTH lower engine black fairings, BOTH silver plastic fairings that the turn-sigs go thru, BOTH slim black fairings that go along the edge of the seat, BOTH mirrors, a complete headlight set-up, and a front fender (blue) from an '09.

Some of the pieces are scratched, so PM me if interested.
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Memory 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I have several of the Gen 1 plastic 'bits' available, from a black '07 - BOTH side fairings, BOTH lower engine black fairings, BOTH silver plastic fairings that the turn-sigs go thru, BOTH slim black fairings that go along the edge of the seat, BOTH mirrors, a complete headlight set-up, and a front fender (blue) from an '09.

Like I said, at least one side , thought the side fairings had been sold, this is a awesome site, response within 24 hours, better than some suppliers.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
to the forum
As to plastic, I think there may be at least one side on this forum. The MK-1 is about $180 a side.
Post the mileage on the bike. Brake fluid change, engine oil and filter, possibly drive chain and sprockets. First is he mileage and a better to do list will come along. If the valve shim hasn't been done, this would be a good time to do it

So today I figured out that the bike is a 2009 model, not a 2008 model as I originally thought. Also, the bike only has 7600 miles on it. The registration for it said that is expired in 2013, so it hasn't been ridden in 4 years.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Unfortunately it says that I can't send private messages because my post count it too low.
I'd definitely be interested in the plastic parts that the turn signals go through -the ones on the bike are broken from when the turn signals broke off. Those will fit an 09, right?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicyeti View Post
Unfortunately it says that I can't send private messages because my post count it too low.
I'd definitely be interested in the plastic parts that the turn signals go through -the ones on the bike are broken from when the turn signals broke off. Those will fit an 09, right?
They're they're the same for the '07, '08 and '09, the Gen 1s.

These are the ones I have.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

As OF Now PM ++

Quote:
The time clock is up, you should be able to PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The time clock is up, you should be able to PM.
So maybe I'm clicking on the wrong thing, but when I click on your username to get to the little drop down menu, then click on "send message via email" it redirects me to a page saying that my post count must be 20. When I click to go to your profile, then click on send message, it again sends me to the same post count page..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Email /PM

Quote:
So maybe I'm clicking on the wrong thing, but when I click on your username to get to the little drop down menu, then click on "send message via email" it redirects me to a page saying that my post count must be 20. When I click to go to your profile, then click on send message, it again sends me to the same post count page..
I happen to have both, email is a last resort as if I reply that gives the sender my email, this email address is sort of a catch all as like many people it is a secondary address. So did you try sending a PM instead of a email, as PM should now work. You should also have received one from me Testing PM, if you did, the right hand corner click quote and type a message and send it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I happen to have both, email is a last resort as if I reply that gives the sender my email, this email address is sort of a catch all as like many people it is a secondary address. So did you try sending a PM instead of a email, as PM should now work. You should also have received one from me Testing PM, if you did, the right hand corner click quote and type a message and send it.
Yeah so "send private message" and quick reply weren't there at all yesterday, but they're working today! Thank you.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode