Hot! Hot! Hot! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hot! Hot! Hot!

Later today I pick up my new bike.....a leftover 2011 Versys. Only downside: temps will be in the mid 90's and humid here in NE OH.

Still excited tho!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Congrats on the new V... You'll never notice the heat and humidity... You'll be too busy giggling.

Last month in Mississippi on my 2011...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
& congrats.

Rain, shine , Hot , cold...we ride and that's the bikers world.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Mid 90's is very hot for a Glazwegian! Put on an evaporative vest and ride ride ride!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Nice catch Alba! Of course, you probably feel right at home in Seattle.

And you're right: 90+ degrees is too bloody hot for a native Glaswegian. But ride on I shall!

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 PM

I think I discoverd the secret to life this morning. Bought a mesh jacket to wear instead of my normal one. What a huge difference. Still feels like plenty of protection but the air flows right through. I'm guessing most of you are way ahead of me. We only have a month of warm weather so I'm a little slow to catch on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:53 PM

I live in Ark. It's been 100 or above for the last week or so. I don't even look at my bike right now. I did discover the Frog Towel or what ever it is called. You wet it down and wring out the water. It works thru evaporation, and last quite awhile without getting you as wet as a regular towel. I just drap it over my neck while I'm working and just rewet it when needed. About $12 at Sports Academy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would rather be sweating while riding the bike than sitting in an air conditioned car. But that's because I am a two wheel addict. 22,000 miles ridden this year already. Looking to be a personal record year.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, not having to much problem with heat at moment but more -7 c frosts in morning.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, I picked up the V this afternoon. It was 94 degrees when I left the dealer. Usually I'm an ATGATT guy, but I didn't wear my riding overpants today. Shoei full face w/vents open, Aerostitch Darien Light Jacket w/vents open, Alpinstar leather gloves(no gauntlet) and Oxtar waterproof boots(today they kept the water in.....my sweat).

Anyway a quick first impression. Because of the heat, I only managed to put 47 miles on the bike. However, even with so few miles, new tires, and a new motor, I was able to get an idea of what's in store.

First, I want to mention the color. I didn't have a choice, as it was the only leftover 2011, but it's the dark red(burgundy?) and I think it looks pretty classy. I like it, and it's important to like the look of your bike...right?

I really like the commanding view from the cockpit. I used to own an R1150GS, so this is familiar to me. However, as well as my GS handled, I think the V will be even better. Lighter weight, quicker turning.....all good.

I'm 6'-1", with a 32" inseam, and the reach to the bars and footpegs suits me just fine. As for the seat; it wanted to push me into the tank somewhat and also seemed a little soft.....we'll see.

The brakes, however, didn't impress me.....but the pads being brand new, they should get better.

Shifting, while solid, surprised me with the definite "klunk" at each shift.....very un-Japanese. It was also somewhat difficult to find neutral.

On the other hand, I'm very impressed with the motor. For a 650 I think it's going to be a hoot, especially once it's broken in.

In short, I think the Versys is the right bike for me at this time in my life. Peppy, w/very good handling, it should get fairly good mileage and have a range of over 200 miles. Yep, just what the doctor ordered!

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Congrats on the new V... You'll never notice the heat and humidity... You'll be too busy giggling.

Last month in Mississippi on my 2011...

Nice thermometer, genehil. Where did you find it?

Not that it would be of too much help in south central Texas - the scale only goes up to 140 degrees. Still it would be nice to know at what temperature I finally exploded after swelling up like a toad.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
Well, I picked up the V this afternoon. It was 94 degrees when I left the dealer. Usually I'm an ATGATT guy, but I didn't wear my riding overpants today. Shoei full face w/vents open, Aerostitch Darien Light Jacket w/vents open, Alpinstar leather gloves(no gauntlet) and Oxtar waterproof boots(today they kept the water in.....my sweat).

Anyway a quick first impression. Because of the heat, I only managed to put 47 miles on the bike. However, even with so few miles, new tires, and a new motor, I was able to get an idea of what's in store.

First, I want to mention the color. I didn't have a choice, as it was the only leftover 2011, but it's the dark red(burgundy?) and I think it looks pretty classy. I like it, and it's important to like the look of your bike...right?

I really like the commanding view from the cockpit. I used to own an R1150GS, so this is familiar to me. However, as well as my GS handled, I think the V will be even better. Lighter weight, quicker turning.....all good.

I'm 6'-1", with a 32" inseam, and the reach to the bars and footpegs suits me just fine. As for the seat; it wanted to push me into the tank somewhat and also seemed a little soft.....we'll see.

The brakes, however, didn't impress me.....but the pads being brand new, they should get better.

Shifting, while solid, surprised me with the definite "klunk" at each shift.....very un-Japanese. It was also somewhat difficult to find neutral.

On the other hand, I'm very impressed with the motor. For a 650 I think it's going to be a hoot, especially once it's broken in.

In short, I think the Versys is the right bike for me at this time in my life. Peppy, w/very good handling, it should get fairly good mileage and have a range of over 200 miles. Yep, just what the doctor ordered!
Welcome and congratulations on the new ride. It does get better after the break-in.
I have the same color and really like it. It is one of those colors that looks better in person.
Photos quite often change the appearance

2013 Versys1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode