Looking at 2015+ 650s - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By daniel3403

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Talking Looking at 2015+ 650s

Hey y'all,

Real person here, looking at a newer V650 to replace my B1250. I know I will miss the diesel-electric torque, but I am tired of the weight and I want ABS (which mine lacks). The little Vee wins constant raves for being fun, flexible, and friendly, and that (plus ABS plus the 5.5gal tank) puts it at the top of my list for a new commuter.

I'll be honest, the list is kind of a hodge-podge. Other candidates include an S1000R (Break My Wallet), XSR900 (baby tank) or -700 (new=$$), GSXS1000 (practical overkill) and even just a newer B1250 (known quantity, 42mpg). The winner gets to share garage space with a DRZ400SM (woohoo!), so I'm hoping to find a complementary tool.

Anyway, I've been lurking here a while so figured I'd dip a toe in!

Last edited by DancesWithCurves; 10-18-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just listed mine for sale. See the thread here

Mel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just went to the local Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer today to compare the Versys 650 LT/2017 V-Strom 650. Damn place listed the Vee Strom in stock and it is, in a crate at the warehouse . Being WI, they're going to keep it there unless someone buys it. I don't blame them. Anyways, verified another 2017 vee Strom at a dealer 90 miles away so I'll take a ride tomorrow and check it out. The Versys fit/felt very nice and some Motowerk 1" peg lowering blocks will make it better (I'm 6'-3"/36" inseam).. Decisions..decisions....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171018_112548.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	134409  

Last edited by troop; 10-18-2017 at 04:23 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome...........when I start looking at a new/different bike I always test sit until I find ones I like then start taking test rides. There is no perfect bike IMO.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithCurves View Post
Hey y'all,

Real person here, looking at a newer V650 to replace my B1250. I know I will miss the diesel-electric torque, but I am tired of the weight and I want ABS (which mine lacks). The little Vee wins constant raves for being fun, flexible, and friendly, and that (plus ABS plus the 5.5gal tank) puts it at the top of my list for a new commuter.

I'll be honest, the list is kind of a hodge-podge. Other candidates include an S1000R (Break My Wallet), XSR900 (baby tank) or -700 (new=$$), GSXS1000 (practical overkill) and even just a newer B1250 (known quantity, 42mpg). The winner gets to share garage space with a DRZ400SM (woohoo!), so I'm hoping to find a complementary tool.

Anyway, I've been lurking here a while so figured I'd dip a toe in!
Welcome. Where are you located? I have a 2015 for sale. If you edit your profile and put in your location, it's helpful sometimes for people who respond to your posts.

Like you, I switched from a Bandit 1250. I loved the torque, but hated the weight. The versys is not as light as I would have hoped (not as light feeling as my Honda NC700x), but it is alright. The versys is probably my favorite bike I've owned, and I've had about a dozen.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the warm welcomes!

Location added -- thanks, zirc. I have to admit the V650 specs out as heavier than I'd like (500ish wet?), but it's still an improvement over the Bandit. Is your NC replacing your V? The only reason that one's not on my list is that I want ABS without DCT. (edit: looks like the V replaced the NC?)

I demo'd the 2G V650 at the Dallas MC show a while back, but it's been so long that I don't have any specific memories. At that time I also tried the FJR and C14, and while I don't have lingering bad impressions about the weights I know them bigguns are not where I want to go for a daily driver.

Back in April I got to try the XSR, FZ07 and GSXS at CotA, and I remember liking them all for different reasons. Unfortunately Kawasaki was not there, and I skipped the S1000R because I never thought I'd be in the market for one.

3dog, you're close enough to me that I might be hitting you up, especially with those mods. (I enjoy a good working OPG!)

Last edited by DancesWithCurves; 10-19-2017 at 12:33 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithCurves View Post
Thanks all for the warm welcomes!

Location added -- thanks, zirc. I have to admit the V650 specs out as heavier than I'd like (500ish wet?), but it's still an improvement over the Bandit. Is your NC replacing your V? The only reason that one's not on my list is that I want ABS without DCT. (edit: looks like the V replaced the NC?)...
I went from the Bandit 1250 to the NC700x. I had considered a Versys at the time (2014) but there were some things that kept me from choosing it. But in my view they fixed all those things in the 2015+ model. My NC700x got totaled (near head on collision on a rural highway), and I replaced it with the Versys. I liked the light-weight feel and low center of gravity of the NC700x. But overall I like the Versys better. I got better mileage on my NC700x (60's and sometimes into the 70's), but the Versys gets good enough mpg (usually around 50).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I went looking yesterday for grins. Demo'd a Tenere (overkill for my needs, but a good reference point) and FZ09 (liked it a lot, shame about the tank). Threw a leg over a 3G V650 and was pleasantly surprised at how substantial it felt; need to figure out how to get some seat time with one! Went to the Beemer shop to test-sit an R NineT and R1200R, but skipped the S1000R after having gotten some insurance quotes. (Another area where the Versys sparkles.)

I hate to have to go all the way to Omaha for one, but I do want a white one, and I like what you've done with yours.

Decisions, decisions. On one hand, it's a nice problem to have. On the other, this is taking up way too much free time.

Last edited by DancesWithCurves; 10-30-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: FZ, not FJ
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
hey @DancesWithCurves @farmerboy is selling his V, you can see some info on this thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-2017-a-7.html
DancesWithCurves likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:02 PM

Garage
Sent you a PM

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode