Touring recs for newbie - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Touring recs for newbie

Hi Everyone. Finally feeling ready to move up from my 250 rebel! Just picked up a 2014 Versys. Now I just have to get it the 750 miles I back home. Any recs on an easy to install rear rack, windscreen, and throttle lock?

Planning to get a giant loop soft bag to help me make the interstate trip back home. Don't have my tools out here, so looking for relatively easy to install stuff that can help make the trip safe and enjoyable.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard Ed96. Don't know where "out here" and "home" are but good luck with your travels. Not enough info to suggest a windscreen. I'm 5' 10" and have been pleased with the Givi screen fitted to my 2008 Versys.

And I prefer to use a tank bag and, if necessary, strap a bag to the passenger portion of the saddle rather than use a rack. Potentially too much weight too far aft and too high in my opinion, but I'm probably in the minority with that opinion. Disclaimer: I have Givi V35 hard side cases and they offer a good bit of storage so a rear rack as yet isn't essential for my travels - so far.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you are doing a fly and buy, you really only need a backpack or tailbag or soft saddle bags. Stock windshield on the highest setting will get you home. A good full face helmet is a must.

Where is the bike and where are you riding it to.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard! I am envious of you: I have ALWAYS wanted to buy a bike far from home and ride it back...just seems like an adventure waiting to happen, with cool stories waiting to be regaled. Try not to overthink it, it's easier to overpack/overload than it is to bring just what you're gonna need. Best of luck in your endeavor.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi Folks, thanks for the replies!

I'm 5'6" 135lbs. 31" inseam. I'm living on the Navajo Rez, riding back from San Jose, CA.

I'm storing the bike at a friend's place so getting gear and parts shipped there is a possibility, and I plan to ride back over 2-3 days.

I've been looking at a few mods that I'm thinking I may as well do in San Jose before riding back.

- Windscreen: the 2014 stock is much smaller than the later models. I did feel noise and buffeting was annoying w the stock setup.

- crash bars: as I'm getting used to this much bigger bike and almost dropped it trying to turn around on a steep driveway.

The SW Motech seem like they are super well bolted on but the Puig look like they might allow easier access to parts. Does anyone have experience with these? Also heard good things about Altrider.

- skid plate

- radiator guard: any recs on brands? I plan to eventually do some light off-road as there are a ton of fire roads to explore in AZ and on the reservation

- Giant Loop saddle bags. The site says the great basin is the correct fit but the pillion seat on the Versys seems pretty narrow.

- any recs on a decent aftermarket USB charger, tool kit setup, and phone mount?

Thanks so much! I'll plan to post some pics and trip reply of my trip back home.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Accessory Dealers in Los Angeles

Hi there,
Just bought a Versys 650 2014, and I'm new to adventure touring. Trying to sort through the maze of online options and I'm curious to get my hands on accessories like saddle bags, etc. Anyone know of a good dealer in the Los Angeles area?
Thanks,
Ed
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Get a Go Cruise throttle lock for your cruise control. The $20 plastic ones are just fine. Bonus comfort will come from a wrist rest. I like the Throttle Rocker, but the Cramp Buster is nice too.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Check with Cycle Gear they are all over LA County. They can order what you want if they don't have it in stock. Most dealers around here are not that competitive on prices compared to on-line part suppliers. My insurance had to replace my Givi E-55 topcase while the bike was in for repair at Del Amo in Long Beach. They charged the insurance company $395.00 for a case thats $328.00 all day long on-line with free shipping.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Or check out Bert's its huge.....http://www.bertsmegamall.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode