Clutch shifter issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch shifter issues

Hi all, I'm new to riding. I just purchased a used 2009 Versy. My first bike. I just started having some problem with my clutch shifter. When shifting too 3rd gear and sometimes 4th,when I press it up with my foot a lot of times it won't engage the clutch. Then I give it a second harder press up and then it will engage. I don't know much of anything about bikes, but trying to learn quick. Does anyone have any ideas to what might be wrong?

Glad to be hear and thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum, as to your clutch. Been some changes on the MK-3, I had a MK-1 and I am guessing you have one of 2 problems on the MK-2. First the MK-1 didn't have a means of lubing the pivot point, I installed a grease nipple on my 07 and cleaned off the rust and corrosion= end of shifting problem, you need to remove the foot peg and check / grease the shift lever pivot point. The MK-3 I had a similar problem, what I found this time was the foot peg mount was moving when trying to go above second gear, just remember the shift rod is pulling backward towards the foot peg, if anything is loose that cause lots of problems, one being at a certain point the shift lever will travel / jam into the shift rod if you are like me and have big feet and maximum adjustment for clearance. To see what I am referring to , get beside the bike and try up shifting to 3rd or 4th gear, notice how far the shift lever travels, there needs to be vertical clearance between the lever and shift rod. Last what kind of oil are you running?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2cyc View Post
Hi all, I'm new to riding. I just purchased a used 2009 Versy. My first bike. I just started having some problem with my clutch shifter. When shifting too 3rd gear and sometimes 4th,when I press it up with my foot a lot of times it won't engage the clutch. Then I give it a second harder press up and then it will engage. I don't know much of anything about bikes, but trying to learn quick. Does anyone have any ideas to what might be wrong?

aboard!

The 'foot control' is the GEAR SHIFTER - your clutch LEVER is on the left hand-grip. Can you say your problem a bit clearer?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Gear Sifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

The 'foot control' is the GEAR SHIFTER - your clutch LEVER is on the left hand-grip. Can you say your problem a bit clearer?
sorry tried correcting several times. I'm using a tablet and it seems I'm having problem with using it at this time. I'll try again later. Thank you both!

im understanding better now, how to use it. Will try to reply later. Sorry.

Last edited by Nu2cyc; 10-17-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Correction
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Garage
Hey, I have a doubt a little similar, I got my 2008 Versys 650, but I have noticed that the clutch lever is kind of hard to press, some mechanic told me that it was because of the way Kawasaki have set the clutch cable.

Do you guys may know about this?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3403 View Post
Hey, I have a doubt a little similar, I got my 2008 Versys 650, but I have noticed that the clutch lever is kind of hard to press, some mechanic told me that it was because of the way Kawasaki have set the clutch cable.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=clutch+cable
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3403 View Post

Daniel - suggest you lube your clutch-cable. Here's a link:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...h-cable-2.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Your shift lever is adjustable for height. I find a lot of people have the lever too high. Loosen the lock nuts on the linkage rod and turn the rod so the shift lever lowers. Try lowering (or raising for down shift problems) about 5mm at a time till you have good leverage on the Lever.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:20 AM

HEllo Guys.... Greeting from India.. I have 2016 V650.... I am facing a issue here... When I press the gear down the lever does not come up, it stay pressed. When I touch it or push it back then it come up and I can lower the gear again. out of 100 - 80 times this is happening..... Please advise.. Thanks in advance
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2cyc View Post

Had that problem on the 2015 and the 07. First on the 07 to 09, the pivot point on the foot peg was not grease able, since the linkage uses the footpeg for a pivot point, and the footpeg normally is mounted using red locktite , I found the footpeg had come loose, in that it hadn't meshed into a protrusion , over time this wore until finally it came loose. Up shifting caused the linkage to move the footpeg counterclockwise until the lever hit the linkage rod. I took the footpeg off, and installed a grease nipple , mounted the footpeg in the proper place and adjusted the linkage to suit my big size 12 boots, never any more problems.

FYI I used blue loctite when installing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode