Long distances cruise control - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Long distances cruise control

Good Monday morning. I bought a 2015 Versys 1000 on Friday. Over Saturday and Sunday I drove it home, over 1400 miles in total.

I have two questions, and would like to know how you have handled. I'm 6'0" tall and right around 200lbs.

1. Seating position. Being 6 feet, I like to sit a bit further back on the seat. Not touching the tank. The seat slants a bit forward causing the skin on your butt cheeks and hamstrings to be pulled a bit taut. After a while, this caused soreness. Some of it is because I haven't ridden in many years, but I'm sure the rest of it could be mitigated.

2. Cruise control. Do any of you use this? It would be nice to be able to take off my throttle hand, just a few seconds. Is there any type of cruise control that would let the throttle stick maybe even for just 5 seconds?

Would love some input

Filip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-bike.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	134193   Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	134233  

Last edited by fhanik; 10-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Miles and miles

hi everybody, Filip here, yup, that is Philip with a foxtrot F.

I just got back in the saddle. Haven't ridden in 10 years, or since I had kids. In the past it was sport bikes with a lot of track days. This time around I decided to get a dual sport since I am looking for versatility.
So on Friday I flew down to Phoenix, AZ from Vancouver, WA and then over the weekend I drove the 1450 miles back. Had a great time. Needed the solitude. I-5 through Oregon is quite nice. California, not so much.

Given that I live in the rain capital, my riding will probably be limited to May-Oct, so that may have been it for this year.

Filip
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I rode my 15' 650LT about 4500 miles in five weeks this last summer. I use a throttle lock when my hand/wrist get tired (usually just for a few minutes to give it a rest). There are a number of different types available for reasonable prices. The seat is a known problem. I trimmed the foam on mine down to almost the base and then added a gel pad, built the nose of the seat up one inch with carpet foam, and then did the seat front mount mod

In addition to those mods I also built a set of highway pegs (allows for more leg movement while riding), I have Grip Buddies, and a set of ROX 3 1/2" risers. A taller windshield and a good bag to use for a back rest. All in all it was a pretty comfortable ride.

I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam (170 lbs) so a bit of suspension adjustment from OEM was required. Full soft on the rear and about three turns harder on the front pre-load.

Welcome to the site.......that is a pretty decent "first" ride BTW.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM

Garage
I've had this on my bike for 6 years. Works great for what it is. The only limitation is that it sets a constant throttle input, so your speed only stays constant on level ground... good enough to get your wrist rested during the trip, though.

Throttle Control

'09 Versys
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome to the club, glad you liked oregon part of it use to look better before some stupid kids set it on fire and dont worry the versys wont melt in the rain so maybe youll get to ride a bit more of the year

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM

re: cruise control: the best and least expensive solution that I've found is called the Cramp Buster and is a plastic 'ring' that goes around the throttle grip and allows you some freedom of movement. (see photo). You can kinda remove your hand from the grip, but have to keep the heel of your hand on the grip to keep the throttle open.

other MUCH more expensive include the Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control, and many others that replace the bar end weights and allow you to remove your hand from the bar complete. They'll run you anywhere from $110 - $350 US or so.

I've used the Cramp Buster for close to a decade now, and it works well for ten bucks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	134241  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:02 PM

Seattle; rode all year. just have GOOD (and I mean GOOD) rain gear, you'll be fine. I actually enjoy rain travel. Now in North Idaho, and 3-4' of snow precludes riding even with outriggers....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Seat: Poorly designed from the factory (but the foam is of decent quality)...no excuse for that. I modded mine by shaving/shaping the foam and I think it'll be ok now. I'd rather have a custom seat made, but I'll only pay the $500 or so if I can't live with this one. As for moving back far enough on the seat to suit yourself...well, maybe a custom seat will be required.

Cruise control: I've tried the budget fixes mentioned above with little satisfaction (different strokes y'know). The new Kaoko throttle assist I ordered is supposed to arrive today from Revzilla. Nothing comes close to electronic cruise control and the after market offerings seem to have a high rate of failure, aside from costing a small fortune. Kawasaki seems to be anti-cruise control. Unknown why. It's an unforgivable omission on the V1's. To my knowledge they have never even equipped the Concours, their flagship sport tourer, with a cc (unless that has changed in the last year or so). STUPID from a marketing standpoint.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! Lots of threads on this forum on how to convert the Versys from a sport tour oriented adv. bike to a more dirt/gravel road friendly adv. bike.

With some heated grips and good gear you will find you can considerably extend your riding season and still be comfortable.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-16-2017 at 02:36 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
Seattle; rode all year. just have GOOD (and I mean GOOD) rain gear, you'll be fine. I actually enjoy rain travel. Now in North Idaho, and 3-4' of snow precludes riding even with outriggers....
When you get those outriggers working let me know...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGazebo View Post
When you get those outriggers working let me know...
just about done. gotta swap wheels for skis...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw-f800-focused-events-unveil-outrigger-f800.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	134249  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Simple Cheap / Reliable/ Not Bike Specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhanik View Post
Good Monday morning. I bought a 2015 Versys 1000 on Friday. Over Saturday and Sunday I drove it home, over 1400 miles in total.

I have two questions, and would like to know how you have handled. I'm 6'0" tall and right around 200lbs.

1. Seating position. Being 6 feet, I like to sit a bit further back on the seat. Not touching the tank. The seat slants a bit forward causing the skin on your butt cheeks and hamstrings to be pulled a bit taut. After a while, this caused soreness. Some of it is because I haven't ridden in many years, but I'm sure the rest of it could be mitigated.

2. Cruise control. Do any of you use this? It would be nice to be able to take off my throttle hand, just a few seconds. Is there any type of cruise control that would let the throttle stick maybe even for just 5 seconds?

Would love some input

Filip
So you asked, the first is I use the cramp buster all the time. The throttle lock I use to free up my right hand to either pull up a zipper or some other action needed by my right hand and for less than a minute, for instance banging my right mirror out to see better. The throttle lock I use is Go Cruise 2 Throttle Device Universal, Auminum | Black - TwistedThrottle.ca
A little FYI, I had the cheaper plastic one and 3 months after using it , it decided one day to disintegrate , fortunately Twisted Throttle gave me full credit towards the aluminum one, which is worth every penny, as tension is adjustable and it is about 1/3 the price of Kaoko which is bike specific and a real Bit**h to get the right one , plus try adding Barkbuster and heated grips, good luck with Kaoko. I might also add the price of Kaoko you would think for 35% more it would be electric and a true cruise control. Other members here have installed electric cruise controls and there is a thread in the how To forum on this.
SmoothRoad likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-25-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
[QUOTE=fhanik;1458961]...2. Cruise control. Do any of you use this? It would be nice to be able to take off my throttle hand, just a few seconds. Is there any type of cruise control that would let the throttle stick maybe even for just 5 seconds?...QUOTE]

aboard!

I have a "VistaCruise Universal" on EACH of my Vs, for exactly the reasons you want one.

Works GREAT!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 01:48 PM

Garage
[quote=fasteddiecopeman;1459289]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhanik View Post
...2. Cruise control. Do any of you use this? It would be nice to be able to take off my throttle hand, just a few seconds. Is there any type of cruise control that would let the throttle stick maybe even for just 5 seconds?...QUOTE]

aboard!

I have a "VistaCruise Universal" on EACH of my Vs, for exactly the reasons you want one.

Works GREAT!
Here here

Like Eddy said

Universal Vista Cruise Control :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Has a tendecy to loose or gain speed
Sometime hard to precisely set
AND I had to fiddle with the brake fluid reservoir to fit it at the right place

But inexpensive and gives you exactely what you want, a few minute of rest to let the blood flow back again

My 2 cents

LOP
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I use a Go Cruise on occasion. Works pretty darn well..
Motorcycle throttle lock Universal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l500 (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	135041  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 05:20 PM

After being spoiled by having electronic cruise control on my BMW R1200RT for about eight years, I added a Rostra electronic cruise control unit to my Versys 1K. It is not that hard to do and really makes those long rides on the interstate nice again.

Dave
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T140Guy View Post
After being spoiled by having electronic cruise control on my BMW R1200RT for about eight years, I added a Rostra electronic cruise control unit to my Versys 1K. It is not that hard to do and really makes those long rides on the interstate nice again.

Dave
And WHY would you want to do long rides on the "SuperSlab"...? No other roads?

SmoothRoad likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:18 PM

Has anyone tried the Atlas throttle lock?

They are a little pricey and look... interesting, but it looks like the install couldn't be easier

https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/pr...-throttle-lock
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 AM

Garage
Welcome to the site and enjoy your Versys! I looked at all the cruise controls and decided on the Break-Away set up. This is a well made machined hardned aluminum set up. It takes a while to install, but well worth it. It engages with a click of your thumb and dis engages when you tap the front break (this "Break - Away"), and also can be dis engaged by tapping the release with your thumb. Check our their website or my facebook page, I have a few pics there. I love mine and use it all the time on the super slab. Enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode