Hello from College Station, TX - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By Ndv21
  • 1 Post By xiaoxuesu
  • 1 Post By xiaoxuesu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from College Station, TX

Hello!

Just got my 14 Versys 650 last weekend. Pretty excited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Passenger Seat Grab Bar Bolts Question

Hi y'all,

I have a question about the bolts which hold the two plastic pieces onto the metal grab bar next to the passenger seat:

After reinstall the two pieces of plastic onto the grab bar I think I "stripped" the bolts which hold the plastic pieces onto the grab bar. I saw a nut fixed into the upper plastic piece and a bolt goes from the bottom piece through the metal bar to the top plastic piece. I think it is possible that I turned the bolt too hard so it spins the upper nut. So the nut spins in the upper plastic piece with the plastic piece.

So is there anyway to fix this? It seems with both nuts and bolts spinning I cannot take the bolts out ever!

Thanks
Xuesu
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Well done! I rode through College Station on my way back to Houston from Alaska last month... hot as hell!!! I keep my Versys in Houston but will be avoiding the summer months in future, I may be over in the spring so if you know of any good rides let me know! I have done the hill country which is great (for Texas) but I have struggled to find many twisty roads in that part of the world!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard from San Antonio. Isn't there a small university in College Station?
Ndv21 likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 AM

C'mon over to san antonio sometime and we can ride the hill country. There are several "hidden twisties". Farmerboy, let us know when you are in this part of the world, be glad to take you out and explore!
farmerboy likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Just sold a Givi E-55 Top Case and Back Rest Pad to a guy in College Station

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Just looked at my '08 650 - the "grab-rails" have plastic as part of their make-up, and the bolts go thru the metal, attaching to metal.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoxuesu View Post
Hi y'all,

I have a question about the bolts which hold the two plastic pieces onto the metal grab bar next to the passenger seat:

After reinstall the two pieces of plastic onto the grab bar I think I "stripped" the bolts which hold the plastic pieces onto the grab bar. I saw a nut fixed into the upper plastic piece and a bolt goes from the bottom piece through the metal bar to the top plastic piece. I think it is possible that I turned the bolt too hard so it spins the upper nut. So the nut spins in the upper plastic piece with the plastic piece.

So is there anyway to fix this? It seems with both nuts and bolts spinning I cannot take the bolts out ever!

Thanks
Xuesu
First you may need to get creative, two slot screwdrivers and a pair of vise grips, to hold the nut. I know in some cases , some parts appear to be a nut and bolt, but are actually a nut and allen head bolt with a plastic cap in the allen head. I know what you are talking about as I had a 07, the 2015 some drastic changes to allow the LT cases to be mounted directly to the existing frame. Possibly take a couple close up photos, may jog my memory, as I thought much like Eddie posted.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Well done! I rode through College Station on my way back to Houston from Alaska last month... hot as hell!!! I keep my Versys in Houston but will be avoiding the summer months in future, I may be over in the spring so if you know of any good rides let me know! I have done the hill country which is great (for Texas) but I have struggled to find many twisty roads in that part of the world!
Hi! There are lots of amazing roads around College Station. 166 to Caldwell and 3090 in Navasota is our weekly riding routes! I am in the Texas A&M Motorcycle club so we do a lot of group riding! I am usually on my SV650 if I want to go fast on the twisties. Just bought the Versys to do long road trips. Going to Leakey with club this weekend. The 3-sisters are the best!
farmerboy likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Welcome aboard from San Antonio. Isn't there a small university in College Station?
Haha yeah, quite small with 60k students!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndv21 View Post

C'mon over to san antonio sometime and we can ride the hill country. There are several "hidden twisties". Farmerboy, let us know when you are in this part of the world, be glad to take you out and explore!
Actually I bought the Versys from San Antonio!!!

I am going to Leakey this weekend with the club, we will have 20 bikes there. Taking my SV though since I don't want to risk the new Versys.
Ndv21 likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
First you may need to get creative, two slot screwdrivers and a pair of vise grips, to hold the nut. I know in some cases , some parts appear to be a nut and bolt, but are actually a nut and allen head bolt with a plastic cap in the allen head. I know what you are talking about as I had a 07, the 2015 some drastic changes to allow the LT cases to be mounted directly to the existing frame. Possibly take a couple close up photos, may jog my memory, as I thought much like Eddie posted.
The grab bar is a three-piece system, from bottom to top is a plastic piece, the metal bar, and then another plastic piece. So bolt goes from the bottom plastic through the metal and reaches a nut in the top plastic. The nut should be fixed in the top plastic but it somehow stripped and it spins. There is no access to the nut at all. So everything looks fine but there's just no way I can take the two plastic pieces apart from the metal bar since the bolt and nut rotate together.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I think the problem is that there is not way to access the nut. You can turn the bolt from the bottom plastic piece, but the nut in the top plastic is not visible from outside. Now the two pieces are together enveloping the metal bar in the middle, so there is no way to see the nut at all (I am just guessing it's spinning there since I can neither take the bolt in nor out).
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Electric Impact Driver

Quote:
I think the problem is that there is not way to access the nut. You can turn the bolt from the bottom plastic piece, but the nut in the top plastic is not visible from outside. Now the two pieces are together enveloping the metal bar in the middle, so there is no way to see the nut at all (I am just guessing it's spinning there since I can neither take the bolt in nor out).
I have had moderate luck using a dewalt or similar impact driver, try and go at a bit of a angle, with the hopes that between, the speed and impact, the nut may catch and you are the able to remove it, also try exerting some pulling upwards on the grab handle while impacting. Are you certain there isn't a plug from the plastic/ nut side, again a picture / photo would help.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Want to help

Quote:
I've got a 2016 and am trying to figure out which bolt and nut your talking about. I've taken my seat off but don't see a bolt/nut that I can't get to in relation to side rails.

Can you take a picture?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 PM

Get a bunch of your riding buddies to look at it. Usually someone can figure it out. As a last resort go by the local Kawi dealer and ask a service tech to take a look at it. You might get lucky and get some free tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode