650R that pretends to be a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
650R that pretends to be a Versys

Hiya everybody!! I've been lurking here on your forum since before I even bought my bike, as the Versys is the bike I'd like to have. However, they are out of my price range and I couldn't have been more lucky than to stumble upon my 650R.

I love my 2006 Ninja 650R. Coming off of big, heavy sport tourers (C10 Connie, ST1100), she's light, nimble, sips fuel and is a heck of a lot easier to manage off pavement. Bought her for a pennance spring of last year with 6k, now she's got 36k. I work from home, so they are all "for fun" miles. Salvage title, nothing to look at, a great runner. 90/10 pavement/dirt roads right now, and that number is steadily leaning further towards the dirt side! I find the two limiting factors to be suspension and tires. I can't afford to swap suspension at the moment (Versys front end and rear shock perhaps?), so looking into some tires to give me a bit more confidence at speed on fire roads.

Thanks for having me!

2 pictures from last weekend:

Last month, with my girlfriend's ZR-7 (she wants DS tires too):

Memorial weekend this year

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Best option for tires is probably the Scorpion Trails in the stock sizes of 120/70 and 160/60.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Beautiful area.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sprocket! Considering those and the Syncs in stock sizes. Also considering the Distanzas in the SM compound stock size front and the 150/70 regular compound rear. The Shinko 705s and Tourances with the 130/80 front are on the maybe list, I'm here to figure out exactly how much I have to raise the front fender to see if I can make it work with the fairings (would have to move my upper lights for sure).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Smash, that's a real nice looking 650R you have. As for tires, I agree with Sprockets recommendation of the Scorpion Trails. I had a set of Syncs on my Buell Ulysses XT, and while they gripped and handled great, they were toast by 3,000 miles.

I've had very good experience with Tourances, as well. In fact, when it comes time to replace tires on my V, I'm probably going to go with a Tourance rear and a Scorpion Trail on the front. I'm not concerned about mixing and matching, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazwegian View Post
Smash, that's a real nice looking 650R you have. As for tires, I agree with Sprockets recommendation of the Scorpion Trails. I had a set of Syncs on my Buell Ulysses XT, and while they gripped and handled great, they were toast by 3,000 miles.

I've had very good experience with Tourances, as well. In fact, when it comes time to replace tires on my V, I'm probably going to go with a Tourance rear and a Scorpion Trail on the front. I'm not concerned about mixing and matching, however.
Thanks for the thumbs up for the Scorpion Trails! Definitely gonna have to get more than 3k out of 'em, we'll see what happens.

Question though, why run a more aggressive tire in the rear? I thought you would want a more aggressive tire up front, where the grip really matters. Spinning the back tire a little won't upset anybody. Do the tourances last longer than the Scorpion Trails? I also figured you'd want the longer lasting tire out back...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Yes, it is because the Tourance lasts a long time......and it's a damn good tire. If they made a Tourance "front" that fit the V, I would be all over it. I will not put a rear tire on the front, however, but that's just me.

When I had my GS, I tried several dual sport tires, but couldn't find anything I liked as well as the Tourances.

'11 Versys
'06 DR650
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. I guess I assumed having more grip out back than up front would be a recipee for disaster. I'll look around the forum to see who else has run the combo. Let us know how it goes!

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I run Tourances, 130/80 and 150/70 on my '08, and I picked up TWO more of the same which are on 'standby' for when my '09 needs its next set of tires.

IF you do put a 130/80 (rear) onto the front, it REALLY makes the steering heavy, although by 100 miles I no longer even notice it, BUT I will NOT 'swap' bikes with anyone when I'm on Tourances, because of that initial heaviness!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

The set of Tourances you're running would be ideal for me, however with the fairings on the 650R I don't think I have any room to raise my front fender. So going to try the Scorpion Trails first. When I swap a Versys front end onto my 650R that hopefully will give me the room I need to raise that front fender and run the Tourances. Now if I could just find a Versys front end...

Going to run Scorpion Trails on my girlfriend's ZR-7 next too, she's as good as I am in the dirt (I'm just a little faster, although I also fall over more...). Once I get the Versys front end and shock swapped over, we'll raise her front fender too and run the Tourances. I think the ZR-7 will look sweet with the mildly nubby tires....

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers

Last edited by Smash; 08-06-2012 at 01:20 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Your not missing much comparing the Versys to the Ninja on dirt. The V has a very high CG which is the cause of much butt puckering when I take it off road. The stock tires have a lot to do with it's poor performance too...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah? The biggest issue I have with my Ninja offroad is the suspension is sooooooo tight. The front is actually oversprung, a first for me with all the bikes I've owned. I just need a little big more cushion before I rattle myself to death!

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode