new to this town - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By PJC1955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
new to this town

Hey all. I joined to get insights and comments about the Versys 650, it's a likely target for acquisition in fall 18 or spring 19. Plan is to do some touring with a measure of adventure; nothing needing a dual purpose, but I'm going to minimize interstates ( I really don't want any big cruisers or decked out touring machines) and want to be able to navigate dirt or gravel roads such as state or national forests. Plan on doing more camping than hoteling whenever possible.

Also interested in collecting routes of various kinds consistent with my objectives.

My current and only bike ever is a 1982 Kawasaki 750 LTD, bought new in 85, rode about 11k then it went to the garage and sat for 23 years while I raised kids and did the career thing. A friend resurrected it last spring and I'm having a blast. Retirement is slated for early 19, hence the proposed acquisition date. Till then, the LTD will roll.

I look forward to the chatter

PJC1955, Pittsburgh PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought my '15 used last October. Due to extensive Farlkization I didn't really start riding it until mid December. (There are advantages to living in FLA)

I equipped it for the exact same purpose yiu propose to use yours for. I rode it a couple hundred miles to make sure that yeah, this the bike I want before it being equipped.

The bike works very well for the stated purpose, no Ergo changes required. 5'10", 31" inseam.

I do ride this bike somewhat aggressively apparently, as I'm lucky to get 6k miles out of a rear Angel GT. If on the slab or out west cruising speed is generally about 80mph and chicken strips are pretty narrow.

Showing 50.2mpg on the computer, reset about 12k miles ago. Sweet.

There is getting to be some pretty good aftermarket choices for these bikes.

Some of the major/important add-ons for me/my bike include Rostra real cruise control, H&B center stand, Givi windshield, Seat Concepts seat, Polaris voltage regulator, T-Rex fairing fall protection, LED low beam. and PWM controlled grip heat.

The bike is fairly cool to ride in extreme(107*) heat and does offer decent protection in the cold, though not nearly as good as an old style Concours.

I was torn between this bike and a Wee Strom. I chose this one for the shorter length, better suspension and handling.

Two negatives for me, chain drive which I haven't dealt with since the early 80's and the narrow windshield buffeting. The Givi helped vs the Puig but there is still work to do. Also, the low beam with the standard halogen bulb is almost worthless, lots of scatter. Conversion to an Evitek LED cured that.

Overall, I must like it. I've put on over 22k miles since last December. I bought the bike used with just over 10k miles on it. It weighs almost 200lbs less that the Old Concours, fun for twisties and still sucks up the slab decently.

BTW, you can purchase extra factory warranty to cover up to six years total, unlimited miles at any time before the original warranty expires. It's currently in the shop for a warped front brake disc covered under that warranty.

HTH this helps.

Later, SteveJ

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 10-06-2017 at 08:19 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's not all about me

I jumped ahead in the first intro post and used the content the site says to break into 2 or 3 posts. I'll figure this out soon enough. Riding a motorcycle seems easier than joining up on the forum.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the welcome. Question: any simple reason I'm not able to see any posted pics ? All I see are these photobucket icons. I'm loving the stories and advice posts, but missing out on the pics. Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

New Members Posting 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC1955 View Post
I jumped ahead in the first intro post and used the content the site says to break into 2 or 3 posts. I'll figure this out soon enough. Riding a motorcycle seems easier than joining up on the forum.
Would you mind telling me where you got that information because it is incorrect, each time you start a new thread it moves old posts further down,1 new member posts 1 time, then 5 new members post 5 times, the1 new member single post goes to page 2. Done correctly, 25 new members all post within their introductory thread, with 5 posts each, post #1 the model and year of the bike, post 2, where they are from, and previous bikes, post 3, any suggestions for improvements, post 4, replies to members suggestions of improvements, post 5, various other bikes you have owned, your favorite riding areas******you get the picture. So done correctly, all 25 new members remain on page 1, if you notice a new member that has posted with comments that relate to you, no problem posting in his thread. Here is the directions to be followed http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...%2A%2A1st.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...2A%2A-2nd.html

The very first Thread/post by you is your personal thread
no need to post in someone else's thread for the sake of posting. Starting a new thread creates work for mods AKA onewizard, this takes up time on my part as I need to move it.
So would you mind telling me where you got that information because it is incorrect, and I want to change it, as I have gone through both links that I provided and no mention of breaking into other threads and posting.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-07-2017 at 08:12 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC1955 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Question: any simple reason I'm not able to see any posted pics ? All I see are these photobucket icons. I'm loving the stories and advice posts, but missing out on the pics. Thanks in advance.
You are seeing what we all are seeing, Photo Buckets got greedy, all those icons are from members that can't afford $400 per years and dropped their account.Since this started happening, I have had the site administrators provide and increase it's photo hosting on this site. So the Gallery can store for each member, 1000 photos with a maximum of 60 photos per album, if this isn't sufficient it can be increased.
One of our tech savvy mods ( Gigitt) created this How To, there is no need to go into user cp once you have a album started, however using user cp groups all the albums that belong to you, so as time goes along , one of your albums could be on page 20, easier to then use the user cp to find it.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...otobucket.html

Last edited by onewizard; 10-07-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
From that very "new members read first" where it recites: "As to two posts, first post you can say where you are from in the world, very next post you can describe your ride, expect to be welcomed within a hour of posting, you can continue to post in that thread, until the 48 hours is up, then most restrictions will be lifted. There will be a change......"

In my first post, I recited who I am, where I'm from, and what I presently ride. So I had to come up with something for a second post, which I did in the form of the remarks you're asking about.

I guess my phrasing might have thrown you off. The instructions do not say you MUST separately provide that basic info, they just suggest it as a method of effecting the two-post requirement.

Does that make it any clearer? Sorry if I confused you. PJC1955.
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Updated member Intro

Thanks for the reply, I updated and clarified that thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode