Hello from Columbus, OH - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By StormRider
  • 1 Post By StormRider
  • 2 Post By timster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hello from Columbus, OH

Hi Everyone! I've been lurking here for a month or so. So much great information and helpful people. I bought a new 2015 650 Versys about a month ago. Loving it so far but I'm a new rider so trying to get some practice under my belt. Getting more comfortable every week. I had a cruiser for about a month 3 years ago, put 100 miles on it and flipped it for a profit since a new baby was on the way. Glad to be back to riding.

Also, I don't know a single person who rides in my area (sad isn't it) so if you are in Columbus, OH give me a shout.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4671_lr.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	133489  
NightRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And a question to go with the intro...What the heck happened to my tire?! I saw this last night, did I ride over a razor blade or something? These only have 250 miles on them so I would hate to replace. Is this patchable or even rideable to the dealer? All I do is slow riding on good roads so maybe just a freak accident.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4684.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	133497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4683.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	133505  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Head to Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
And a question to go with the intro...What the heck happened to my tire?! I saw this last night, did I ride over a razor blade or something? These only have 250 miles on them so I would hate to replace. Is this patchable or even rideable to the dealer? All I do is slow riding on good roads so maybe just a freak accident.
As to the tire, your into the sidewall, I would head to the dealer immediately, as it is hard to tell looking at the photo, but that looks like a defect. That area isn't normally ridden on unless you are doing some really aggressive riding. The only other thing is if you drove over a metal survey stake on wet grass and the tire spun.

Had a second look, that cut is on the left side of the bike, I could just make out the rotor on the right. The cut is in the wrong direction for my suggestion, you would need to be engine braking/ braking on a protruding object, or like when they grind the asphalt and leave a sharp edge, etc.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks onewizard for the welcome and advice. The cut is on the right side of the front. There is a lot of road construction around but I wasn't corning in those parts so who knows. Guess I'll learn how to change a tire.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

w/ your tire!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM

Garage
Welcome! This is a great place to learn about the bike. I just had a similar incident on my 2016. Only 2500 miles and I hit something on the highway. I could actually see a metal cord in the gash! Changing the tire yourself is not that hard and you only need a few tools. Motion Pro tire irons and rim protectors. There is great video on you tube by MC Garage.
I use Dyna Beads to balance. Cheaper than buying a wheel balancer and saves space in my tiny garage! I've used them before on my Concours so I know they work. That was actually the hardest part! Getting them in the damn valve stem! Patience is a virtue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1616.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	133513  

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks fasteddiecopeman and thanks timster! That is just the video I need and thats CRAZY you had almost the same cut in the tire!

You guys are great. I love that I can work on this bike myself for a lot of things. Just stinks to buy a tire, paddock stand and tools after 250 miles but that's life.
timster likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:43 PM

Garage
If your like me and plan on keeping this bike for a long time, (because its so awesome!) the tools will pay for themselves after a couple of tire changes.
Skypilot 69 and StormRider like this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard and trust all goes well with your tire problem. If you are not a aggressive rider i think the tire will hold for sometime , but then again at a point of time you may need to change it for safety reasons. Be safe and enjoy your ride -ATGATT.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:15 PM

Welcome to the forum, I am also from Columbus and I too have a green 2015! We should ride together sometime!
-Ron
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Fastoman and lainoi! That's great lainoi...as long as you don't mind a slow guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode