Getting a Versys - help me pick which one! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skypilot 69

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Getting a Versys - help me pick which one!

Hello everyone!

I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'd like to build a scrambler-type bike for next year, and after a lot of research I landed on the Kawasaki Versys as a donor bike.

The famous WrenchMonkees 12 is the inspiration for the build.

I wanted to get your opinion because I have a couple of options:

A) 2009 with 18,000km. Decent tires, no damage, decent maintenance. For $3800 CDN

B) 2013 with 5,000 km. No mods, pretty much new. For $5000 CDN

C) 2011 with 22,000 km. Recent Tourance tires, shorty levers, higher gearing, touring windshield. For $5000 CDN

Assuming they're all in more or less same mechanical condition, and that I'll strip it down and build something different out of it - which one would you choose?

Cheers, and thank you for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if your going to be stripping it down and doing custom i would look for a wrecked one (with good frame and motor but junked plastics) or for what ever one is cheapest and in the shape you need for your build. why pay more for parts you are not going to need/use? so i guess id say go for the 09,

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Those are the only ones I could find that had under 50k. I guess the second part of my question was if 18,000 km is getting long in the tooth, or are these machines good to go for 100k plus?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_erni View Post
Thanks! Those are the only ones I could find that had under 50k. I guess the second part of my question was if 18,000 km is getting long in the tooth, or are these machines good to go for 100k plus?
it all depends on maintenance... there is a few on here that have gone over 100k MILES.... mine (a 08) is at just over 40k miles and still kicking

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 02:17 PM

Garage
These engines are pretty much bullet proof if maintenance is performed. Things that will wear out over time will be fuel pumps, water pump leaks, stator but that's about it.

Same engine as the Ninja 650 and I know guys who have gone over 100,000 miles or 161,000 kilometers.

If you can get one for $2000 that's what you need to look for as a starting point, otherwise you will be making a bike you can't readily sell and recoup money if you need to.

Out of the ones you listed, C is definitely out. Why pay more for an older bike with more miles than B.

You are going to need to change the front suspension as well unless you are building a STREET SCRAMBLER so buy one that is wrecked.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:46 PM

If I had to choose among the three you listed, for what you intend to use it for I would choose A. First because it's the cheapest. Also it is believed (especially by those that own one) that the 1st gen was the best one. from what I gather it was made in Japan, and had better fit and finish than those made afterwards.
silviefox likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

That's really great to know - thank you.

I made the deal, and will be picking it up this Sunday!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

A is my choice , if your are retrofitting something let the base cost be low as the building cost will equal out your budget.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_erni View Post
I have 71,xxx MILES on my AZ '08 V650 (that's OVER 100K kms), and 51,xxx kms on my BC '15 V650LT....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode