New Owner from Utah, USA! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Owner from Utah, USA!

Hi everyone!

A week ago I purchased a 2009 Versys 650 from a local private seller, and I've LOVED it! I'm excited to be here. Details to come in my second post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
...and here's my second post!

As per the rules in the sticky, here's my second post.

So buying my Versys was absolutely NOT an accident.

My wife and I are avid riders, we've been riding together for a long time and the Versys, which I've named Chimera, is my latest (and greatest!) machine to date. I started out six years ago on a 1992 KDX250 two-stroke, and I've been almost exclusively Team Green since that first bike. We rode dirt for a while (my wife was an avid desert racer in her teen years, and it was the dirt that we first went to when she got back into bikes), but all the hassle of trailering, gearing up, kicking over cold wet bikes and then doing the whole thing in reverse sorta killed the enjoyment for us. So we eventually sold all the dirt stuff and got into street.

My first street bike was a 1983 Honda v65, which I spent more time wrenching on than riding, but since then I've stuck with Kawasaki. After the Honda I rode a 2001 VN800, and that was my only bike until about 14 months ago. We'd been doing the cruiser thing, but gradually simplified living arrangements and being fairly close to work prompted me to suggest we buy a couple 250cc sport bikes for commuting. After briefly owning a Ninja 250, we eventually settled on a matched pair of Ninja 500s, and we've been riding those for some time, including a 1400 mile odyssey through Lolo Pass in Idaho. If you've never been through there I suggest you plan that trip immediately, you wont be disappointed.

Touring on the Ninjas (we called them the Twinjas) was a lot of fun, but it really drove home the limitations of the smaller sport class. I'd been casting sidelong glances at the newer Versys' (Versi?) in the local Kawi dealership for some time, but after those 1400 miles I really started to pay more attention to the marquee. A couple weekends ago we were attending a bike night event at a local dealership and I sat on a 2015 and really liked the fit, but I have to admit I wasn't wild about the sXs headlight configuration. Really I've never liked that look in the sport class. So I did some poking around and discovered that the previous generation had the stacked headlights, and after a brief search on our local classifieds found the 2009 I eventually bought. I wasn't exactly serious then, but fate stepped in a week ago in the form of a malfunctioning clutch on my Ninja. So I pulled the trigger and brought home the '09.

It's been FANTASTIC. I'll tell you, every bike I've owned up until now has been either clattery, rattley, or both. But the Versys, which I've named Chimera, is smooth and tight and clean and just AMAZING. I LOVE that bike, and for the first time I'm really excited to customize a bike. I've got a laundry list of accessories I'm excited to add, including GIVI panniers and Barkbuster handguards, but all that stuff is waiting on my Ninja to sell.

I'd post some pictures, but as I understand the sticky I can't do that until I've posted ten times or something. So I'll keep coming around until I can. In the interim you can see Chimera in my avatar/profile pic.

A caveat. I'm a moderator, product reviewer and field correspondent for Total Motorcycle, another website where I regularly post and maintain a blog. I do most of my posting there, but I've joined this forum because, frankly, I'm finally deeply excited about the bike I ride and I'm looking forward to connecting with other riders of the same bike. So I'll do my best to balance my time between this forum and the other.

So, that's my introductory post. Does anybody have any words of wisdom or things to look out for on my new lime-green barn burner? It's got a Corbin aftermarket saddle on it, but other than that is bone stock. One thing, the previous owner had/has a little piece of rubber wedged into the void between the instrument cluster and the cockpit plastic, says it's kinda buzzy without it. Anyone else experienced this? And if so, does anyone have any more attractive solutions than the rubber? I'm thinking weather striping myself, but not sure if that's the best solution.

More to come, stay tuned!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard from another 2009.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum. For some reason your second post was stuck in moderation, spam filter didn't like.At least now us mods get notification from the automation.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas and the spectacular Texas Hill Country.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
...One thing, the previous owner had/has a little piece of rubber wedged into the void between the instrument cluster and the cockpit plastic, says it's kinda buzzy without it....
There many solutions to that issue. Did my '08 AND '09 w/ bits of weather-strip glued here-and-there.

MY '08 has 71,543 miles; while my '09 HAD 62,790 kms when it was "written-off" after a 'crash' about an hour S of Inuvik (altho' I DID ride it back to Kelowna w/ a 'tweaked' frame, about 3,000 kms), while my '15 is just over 51,000 kms, so they're good for MANY miles if you take a bit of care w/ 'em....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-26-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode