Howdy from the Newb - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Howdy from the Newb

Hey all. Here is my obligatory first post! About me...new to the motorcycle world, in fact, I am still a month or so away from picking up my first bike. I had been eyeballing the Versys for a while, and then fell in love with the Triumph Street Triple. To date, I have ridden neither. After much contemplation, and advise from the Ratnet forum, I have decided that the Street triple is probably not a wise introduction to motorcycling.

I took the beginner MSF course back in 2008 (and my endorsement), but never picked up a bike. Now I am almost ready, and in preparation, took the intermediate MSF (both through Team Oregon). I feel as confident as I can having no street experience. I am 5'10', 190, and 47yrs old. I am looking for a commuter bike that I can also just have fun on. Although I feel good about not being full of piss and vinegar at this point in my life, I still want to have a bike that could allow me too kick my heals up when I am ready.

Although all the advise (and common sense) says to buy used on your first bike, there really are not many in the area (Portland, OR) that are within a reasonable distance. There are (2) 2009's locally for $5999 a piece. One is used with like 650 miles on it, and the other is brand spankin'. I am thinking for the same price, I would go new..

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Go new and the Versys is the best bike for a beginner as it is very forgiving and easy to handle.

&

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Go ahead and go new. The V is easy to learn on especially since you've been through the msf. Take it easy at first of course and you'll be fine. Crash bars are a definite plus as a first accessory.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode