Recommendation for US Food Stops - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
SussyandKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Recommendation for US Food Stops

Hey everyone, seeing as we needed to post in here again I thought I would post about the trip me and Ken are planning. We have gotten most of our route planned in Canada as we will be going to see different relatives and friends on the way but we have never been to the US before and want to plan out a great trip for us. Something we both want to do is eat some amazing food, so I am asking for all you American riders to give me recommendations for that special meal where you live. Places with huge racks of ribs, or gigantic plates of pasta or something like that, basically the style of places from 'Diners, Drive ins and Dives' (we already have a list of these places to go to ). All recommendations will be considered, and we thank you in advance for them

Driving the flat lands
SussyandKen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where are you starting and where do you plan on going ehhh.

Living on the Edge
Dusty 14 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: South USA
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, the beaches in Florida & Texas might be a little lower on your list of "must see" places for the next few months.

The USA, like Canada, is a rather large place. How far into the forbidden southlands do you plan to travel? Memphis is the (pork based) barbeque capital of the south but that may be a little long for your trip.
RVerde is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,928
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Great Places to eat/ State/ City / Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by SussyandKen View Post
Hey everyone, seeing as we needed to post in here again I thought I would post about the trip me and Ken are planning. We have gotten most of our route planned in Canada as we will be going to see different relatives and friends on the way but we have never been to the US before and want to plan out a great trip for us. Something we both want to do is eat some amazing food, so I am asking for all you American riders to give me recommendations for that special meal where you live. Places with huge racks of ribs, or gigantic plates of pasta or something like that, basically the style of places from 'Diners, Drive ins and Dives' (we already have a list of these places to go to ). All recommendations will be considered, and we thank you in advance for them
Seeing as I was partly responsible for the re-posting, I would suggest that we could stick this thread in this forum for now. Still have a few bugs to sort out with the Gallery.If there is interest it could be a good tool for others coming from the land of ice and snow, at least if we have 10 feet of snow, it eventually melts, plus we don't need fridges here, and can ski year round

OK if there is interest I will stick the thread.
onewizard is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Check out the web site for "Diners, Drive Inns and Dives". See what's available in the areas you are going through. I've been to one of them (Phoenix, Az) and the food was great.
Duffy is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,928
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
onewizard is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,400
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
In the SW of the USA they have a drive-in called In-N-Out Burgers, and I REALLY like their product! Burgers, fries and soft-drinks.

Here's a link to their locations in AZ!

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SussyandKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
tvfoodmaps.com/show/Diners-Drive-Ins-Dives]Diners, Drive-ins and Dives Restaurant Locations, Maps, Reviews, Road Trips
I can't believe there is a map of all those amazing places. I think we will have to plan our trip around that

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
In the SW of the USA they have a drive-in called In-N-Out Burgers, and I REALLY like their product! Burgers, fries and soft-drinks.

Here's a link to their locations in AZ!

in-n-out.com/locations
I have heard of In-N-Out for a while, I thought that we would be getting one soon but it seems unlikely. Will defiantly check them out when we go down!

As a bit of background info, we will be crossing at Niagara Falls and then going from there. Ken wants to see a football game in Pittsburgh so we will try and get there during the regular season (or playoffs if he is lucky!) and then just drive, we have about 6 months in total for the trip if we want to so we want to get as much in as possible.

Driving the flat lands
SussyandKen is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 12:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: mid Flowriduh
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For Florida:

Florida Secrets

Gator Joe's, Ocala (Oklawaha)

Sparky's, Astor

Sleepy Hollow, Floral City (on an excellent, twisty road)

Uncle Kenny's, Clermont (Q)

Blue Gator, Dunellon. Tony' clam chowder

O'steens, St Augustine Beach. Shrimp. you may have to wait a while, there is a reason for that.

Harry's, St Augustine (cajun)

A1A Aleworks, St Augustine

Sunrise Cafe, Tavares. breakfast

MN: Flameburger, Little Canada(north St Paul suburb) get the hashbrowns.

ID: Kootenai Brew House, Bonners Ferry. Salmon and chips and coffee porter. Yummy

TN Telico Grains Bakery, Telico Plains. Not just a bakery. At the west end of Cherohala Pkwy.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


And most of Canada too, eh?
SteveJ is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,414
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Are you travelling to every state in the US? Do you have a budget? The best food I have ever eaten cost $45 a plate and doesn't fill you up. If you post your route, you might get more specific recommendations.

I am more about value when it comes to food. I know what a $1 hamburger from Wendy's tastes like. When I order a $10 hamburger I decide if it is 10 times better than a Wendy's hamburger.

Based on you liking a chain burger joint like in and out burger, which I found overpriced for what you get, I will stick with great tasting food on a budget.

Here are some of my places that I will go back to:

Hi-D-Ho in Alamogordo, NM for the Green Chili Cheeseburger. https://www.yelp.com/biz/hi-d-ho-drive-in-alamogordo
or the Rustic Café for their Green Chili Cheeseburger if you want to eat inside. https://www.yelp.com/biz/rustic-cafe-alamogordo

Rudy's BBQ in El Paso, TX for any of their smoked meats. The green chili stew is great also. They will give you samples to help you decide. https://rudysbbq.com/

Bowpicker fish and chips in Astoria, OR "Bring Cash". https://www.yelp.com/biz/bowpicker-f...hips-astoria-2

Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles, LA the north side of I-10. Too many amazing dishes to only eat there one time. SteamBoat Bill's Restaurants

The lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park in north GA. Good food and the view is AMAZING! Amicalola Falls Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge in Dawsonville Georgia

Just about any lobster pound in Maine for some fresh Lobsta, steamers, and lobster rolls. Every restaurant does their lobster rolls a little differently. Traditional is in a soft white hot dog bun. The one served at the Camp Store near Acadia National Park was my favorite. https://www.ottercreekinnmaine.com/market.html

If you make it over to southern Maryland, you will find yourself surrounded by ocean, Amish country, and the Chesapeake bay. Blue Crab is a must when in that area. The Ruddy Duck Brewery and Grill on St. George Island is a beautiful location to kick back and enjoy some local food. Ruddy Duck - Brewery & Grill You can stay at the Island Inn and Suites next door so you don't have to drink and ride.

If you want more reasonably priced seafood, try Captain Pats seafood in Lexington Park, MD. Captain Pat's Seafood - Lexington Park, MD

This is all I have time for and these are the most memorable places I have eaten. I'm sure if any of the locals from those areas jump in, they may have other suggestions.
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 09-10-2017 at 08:33 AM.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yep, that's the one............Matt's Big Breakfast is the one I visited. Take along your big boy appetite if you go there.
Duffy is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
SussyandKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Are you travelling to every state in the US? Do you have a budget? The best food I have ever eaten cost $45 a plate and doesn't fill you up. If you post your route, you might get more specific recommendations.

I am more about value when it comes to food. I know what a $1 hamburger from Wendy's tastes like. When I order a $10 hamburger I decide if it is 10 times better than a Wendy's hamburger.

Based on you liking a chain burger joint like in and out burger, which I found overpriced for what you get, I will stick with great tasting food on a budget.

Here are some of my places that I will go back to:

Hi-D-Ho in Alamogordo, NM for the Green Chili Cheeseburger. https://www.yelp.com/biz/hi-d-ho-drive-in-alamogordo
or the Rustic Café for their Green Chili Cheeseburger if you want to eat inside. https://www.yelp.com/biz/rustic-cafe-alamogordo

Rudy's BBQ in El Paso, TX for any of their smoked meats. The green chili stew is great also. They will give you samples to help you decide. https://rudysbbq.com/

Bowpicker fish and chips in Astoria, OR "Bring Cash". https://www.yelp.com/biz/bowpicker-f...hips-astoria-2

Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles, LA the north side of I-10. Too many amazing dishes to only eat there one time. SteamBoat Bill's Restaurants

The lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park in north GA. Good food and the view is AMAZING! Amicalola Falls Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge in Dawsonville Georgia

Just about any lobster pound in Maine for some fresh Lobsta, steamers, and lobster rolls. Every restaurant does their lobster rolls a little differently. Traditional is in a soft white hot dog bun. The one served at the Camp Store near Acadia National Park was my favorite. https://www.ottercreekinnmaine.com/market.html

If you make it over to southern Maryland, you will find yourself surrounded by ocean, Amish country, and the Chesapeake bay. Blue Crab is a must when in that area. The Ruddy Duck Brewery and Grill on St. George Island is a beautiful location to kick back and enjoy some local food. Ruddy Duck - Brewery & Grill You can stay at the Island Inn and Suites next door so you don't have to drink and ride.

If you want more reasonably priced seafood, try Captain Pats seafood in Lexington Park, MD. Captain Pat's Seafood - Lexington Park, MD

This is all I have time for and these are the most memorable places I have eaten. I'm sure if any of the locals from those areas jump in, they may have other suggestions.
We don't really have a route yet; there are certain places we want to visits (Pittsburgh, Columbus, somewhere with amazing lobster to name a few) but other than that we though we would plan the route around places that others say we should visit.

Driving the flat lands
SussyandKen is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,414
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SussyandKen View Post
We don't really have a route yet; there are certain places we want to visits (Pittsburgh, Columbus, somewhere with amazing lobster to name a few) but other than that we though we would plan the route around places that others say we should visit.
Well, if you are into enjoyable motorcycle roads you should look up the top 100 motorcycle roads in the US.

Here is an example from a google search I did. America?s Best Road Trips - MotorcycleRoads.com I don't necessarily agree with the order they are in, but it gives you an example of roads you shouldn't pass up if you are anywhere near them.

My Versys Travels:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
twowheeladdict is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome