Anyone else coming from a 650r to a versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
1wd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else coming from a 650r to a versys?

Just wanted to get your thoughts? Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:10 PM

I did, a year ago...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
4 years on the Ninja 650R and now a year on the Versys. I now have as many miles on the Versys in one year that I put on the Ninja in four years.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 PM

quite frankly, the Ninja was more fun to ride on the road... but it didn't fit me as well, and I much prefer owning the Versys- I've put as many miles on it in a year as I did on the Ninja in three... including 4k last October alone. For where I live, and what I like to ride, it's just a better bike.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:39 PM

I switched last December. I had put 16.5k miles on a 1st gen Ninja 650R, and I've put just over 12k on my 2nd gen Versys.

The Ninja is quicker, the rider gets less buffeting.

The Versys is more comfortable, less blown around by the wind, and has less vibration.

Also while the stock suspension on both is lacking, the Versys gives you more to work with for upgrading, at least in front. I think the rear shock on both really needs replacement.

The Versys has much longer range. On a good tank of gas I could get 185 miles or so from the Ninja with the fuel light on for awhile. On the Versys I've gone to maybe 224 miles before the fuel warning was steadily on. And a lot of people seem to get better fuel economy than I do.

I had dealt with the vibes on the Ninja to make it comfortable touring, but at 7k RPMs the vibes would still remind me not to cruise there. I get no such "warning" from the Versys. Much smoother. Maybe the new Ninjas with some rubber engine mounting are too?

The US 2012 Ninja 650R while awesome in many ways, isn't easy to install luggage on. That would be a deal breaker for me. Fixed in the 2013 model.

I loved the Ninja, but I enjoy riding the Versys more, and it's a better fit for me right now. Still I'd know I'd love to have a 2013 Ninja 650R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode