Thoughts.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thoughts..

Hello! I am not at the moment a Versys owner but am looking at one currently.. I have been searching and browsing through this forum getting as much information as I can and have a Lime Green V in my crosshairs.. I have a few questions for some of you current owners however. I just purchased a Goldwing, I have an 09 KLR, and just sold a Vstrom DL1000.. I am trying to get my wife to ride with me more and the Goldwing seems to be working, but I am having a hard time justifying 3 bikes.. I sold my Vstrom and have my KLR up for sale currently thinking I will pick up a 650 Vstrom or Versys as a good middleweight solo bike. I commute 65 miles a day and want something I can use for work or jump on for a solo canyon ride or run to my cabin which is about 2hrs away with three miles of dirt road leading up.

After browsing around on info for the Versys the only things I am really curious about are the stater output and suspension. I am in information systems and haul computers (small) and equipment around on my KLR with Pelician (caribou) side cases. I am also 235 lbs and am wondering if I would need to address the rear suspension? Also I run to my cabin after work and sometimes ride home after dark. I would like to add extra lights and would also like to have my Gerbring heated gear (insoles, vest) wired in along with my Zumo GPS and handlebar heaters.. Am I going to run into problems with draw? It seems like the Versys is a little shy on electrical output..

I have run across an 09 Lime Green with 395 miles that obviously hasn't been used much and feel like I could pick it up for a good price, are there any issues with an 09 that I should be aware of?

Thank you for any advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM

I think the suspension will be fine if solo. I pack my sea horse cases and a 70 liter duffle on my solo touring trips.

Electrically that is quite a bit to run. You would want to sit down and calculatea full power draw. I would definitely find low draw lights to ease the power draw. If i remember reading correctly the wee has an even weaker charging system.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus

Last edited by Skeeter84; 07-06-2012 at 12:21 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.. 07 and newer Wee's are 400 watt, and from what I've seen on this site the Versys is about 340.. I will sit down and figure out what max draw would be tonight.. I have been looking at the 10w led lights.. How do you like your oem headlight?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM

I think the OEM high beam is fine but i hated the low beam even after proper adjustment strained my eyes. I upgraded to a 35w 5k HID conversion. The HID conversion does have some scatter but I have been satisfied with it.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! If all goes as planned I should have a lime green V in my garage tonight..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Well, I did it.. Add one green machine to my stable.. Found this 09 with 367 miles for a very bargain price...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Snownut; 07-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Snownut - you have a ONE-OF-A-KIND green Versys. The green ones came with black frame, rims, forks, etc, so looks like someone changed over blue body bits for green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green-stripe.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	15156   Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow-stripe.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	15157  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-08-2012 at 02:21 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM

I run heated gloves and a heated liner with no issues. I don't really see much point in insulated pant liners or boot soles though with insulated motorcycle pants and I ride down to 32F. I'm comfy in the cold with just Rev'It Sand pants over long underwear and Goretex lined boots on my lower half. You can make your heated gear a lot more comfortable and energy efficient in the cold by wearing a layer of insulation, like the standard insulated jacket liner, over top of it. Most heated gear, at least Gerbings has no real insulation so needs to be run on max which produces hot and cold spots in cold weather - unless you wear some insulation over top. Doing this you may find you have enough power for the pant liners and soles too.

Last edited by Sprocket; 07-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Snownut - you have a ONE-OF-A-KIND green Versys. The green ones came with black frame, rims, forks, etc, so looks like someone changed over blue body bits for green.
Ive actually been confused with the silver.. I have never seen a photo of one with the silver rims and forks.. The original owner bought it this way from the dealer.. I have wondered if the dealer swapped out the color with someone who possibly wanted blue with black.. I don't mind the color scheme.. Any idea if one could determine from the vin what color the bike should be?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I run heated gloves and a heated liner with no issues. I don't really see much point in insulated pant liners or boot soles though with insulated motorcycle pants and I ride down to 32F. I'm comfy in the cold with just Rev'It Sand pants over long underwear and Goretex lined boots on my lower half. You can make your heated gear a lot more comfortable and energy efficient in the cold by wearing a layer of insulation, like the standard insulated jacket liner, over top of it. Most heated gear, at least Gerbings has no real insulation so needs to be run on max which produces hot and cold spots in cold weather - unless you wear some insulation over top. Doing this you may find you have enough power for the pant liners and soles too.
I wear insulation over my gerbrings and rarely run the heat more than 1/2.. I have low blood pressure and my feet seem to always be cold so the heated insoles cure that problem.. Legs aren't in issue, but Ive found if my toes, hands and chest is warm I can ride in any temp..
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The original colour should have been a Blue- IMHO.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
The original colour should have been a Blue- IMHO.
From everything Ive read I tend to agree with you.. I do have the original dealer docs and they all reflect green as well.. It would be interesting to find out how it ended up the color scheme it did.. I have talked to the original dealer in the past and know a salesman well enough I am going to give him a call tomorrow to see if he might recall..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode