Potential Versys owner Ft. Worth, TX - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Potential Versys owner Ft. Worth, TX

Hi all,

I currently live in Fort Worth, TX and ride a Honda 919. Previous bikes were Kawi ZRX1200, Suzuki SV1000, Aprilia Falco and a Aprilia Tuono.

My wife and I are contemplating a move to Juneau, Alaska within the next year or two and as a result I'm pondering a different type of ride from a dedicated street bike.

I'm seriously considering a Versys and maybe making it a bit more dual-sport oriented but my favorite riding will always be sporty pavement riding. Hence the Versys as a serious contender.

I hope this forum will help convince me the Versys is the way to go.

Cheers,
Heinz

2004 Honda 919
2006 Yamaha FZ6 (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
and get a test ride done if possible.

and wish you all the best.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 AM

neighbor! Lot's of info on this forum

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 AM

If you can spend the extra 6 grand per bike (excluding mods), seriously at least look at the (Yamaha?) Super Tenere. I say this for many reasons, 1. you've rode more powerful bikes 2. super tenere uses drive shaft instead of chain 3. the 1,000 cc versys is not available in the states (yet?) 4. super tenere could probably do everything the versys can do, only better. Aside from that, I just bought my first bike, 11' versys, and I simply love it. It handles gorgeously, feels light as a feather when stopped (i'm 6'3" and it fits my inseam like it was tailored for me). I am a noob and I have yet to drop it (it seems like a very forgiving bike). If you want edge of your seat torque, you will get where your going fast enough, but may not be as excited while your getting there. You will take many a bump head-on rather than evade due to its longer shocks, still it is nimble enough to go around them as well. But if you don't at least read upon the super tenere', than you might miss out on your real calling......that thing looks like a smooth beast....watch the vid on it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboney View Post
If you can spend the extra 6 grand per bike (excluding mods), seriously at least look at the (Yamaha?) Super Tenere. I say this for many reasons, 1. you've rode more powerful bikes 2. super tenere uses drive shaft instead of chain 3. the 1,000 cc versys is not available in the states (yet?) 4. super tenere could probably do everything the versys can do, only better... But if you don't at least read upon the super tenere', than you might miss out on your real calling......that thing looks like a smooth beast....watch the vid on it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABKVWDJWQiE
Sweet vid and I'm sure it's a nice ride but... (there's always a but)

The road network in Juneau is isolated from the outside world and the longest stretch of highway is 40 miles give or take. I feel that a large displacement bike wouldn't get a proper chance to stretch its legs.

Plus, I'm pushing 50 and these days a high performance bike is not appreciated as much as it used to be. That's why I recently "downgraded" from a 2007 Tuono to the humble (but capable) Honda 919. My 919 has suspension work and (on the street) I ride it as fast as I rode the Tuono so essentially the Tuono's capabilities were wasted on me.

Being a frugal bloke, I can't justify the cost of a Triumph Tiger 800 or BMW 800GS so it looks like a used Wee-Strom or Versys is in my future. And I just can't get past the looks of the Wee so I'm leaning heavily towards the Versys.

I'm really hoping to score a green one (2009 only?) or a yellow/black one. But we'll see what comes along on the used market.

I guess one question I have is, how easy/hard is it to find new leftovers from previous years at a decent discount? And are they discounted enough to become competitive with used ones?

Heinz

2004 Honda 919
2006 Yamaha FZ6 (hers)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM

thats how i got mine. the past winter, there were lots of dealers trying to make room on their floor and the versys was probably the least likely to sell in my opinion. I got my 11' versys with 0 miles in february for 6500, before adding the handguards, cowling guards (which look really cool), gear change indicator, taller shield. you will pay for the saddlebags almost full price for sure, which will run you $1,000, thats why i use a backpack for now . some dealers were trying to ban this, but if you go on e-bay, u will find dealers selling new previous year models for at least $1,000 off, considering the convenient msrp of 7800, thats a huge discount in my opinion. why buy one with 10,000 miles for $5500? PLUS, i got the 4 year protection plan for like 500 so i have no worries now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in