Sync in the back, rosso II up front? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Sync in the back, rosso II up front?

Hi, this is my second post, and the main reason for registering. I've been reading threads here for almost a year. I have a 2011 Versys with 3,000 miles (2,000 with a nail in my rear tire). I know its deadly to ride with a nail, but the angels have shown me favor, and I can now afford to replace my tires. My problem is CycleGear will replace a tire if it is purchased through them and if you pay the extra 25 bucks for tire insurance, but they only carry the Scorpion Sync's rear tire. I really like the design of the sync's versus putting a rosso II on the back of an upright machine. I feel I can benefit from the versys' versatility more if I have a grittier rear tire. Does anyone like the idea of putting the rosso II on the front? Both tires are Z rated, so considering a stock versys' is much lower in power and nimbler than most bikes, and the fact that the syncs and rosso II's are in line with each other as far as performance increases/decreases in wet/dry conditions, I don't see any surprises occuring with the exception of trail riding. I could see maybe the sync giving me a false sense of stability until i try to turn in light gravel with the rosso II, but I can't see the rosso II fooling me on asphalt causing slippage with the sync in the rear. I think the sync would hold its own on the road. sorry for the long post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If it was me i'd plug the tire then replace it when it wears out.

Heres a link where you can find a tire installer in your area.Just key in your zip code. ...http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx ..You can purchase tires on-line from MC Superstore, Jake Wilson,Dennis Kirk as well as others and they will ship them to the installer you choose that way you don't have to carry the tires.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm not prepared to buy from anyone other than cycle gear since they insure the tire against road hazards, prorated to the amount of tread left. Who else do you know would do such a thing? I'm assuming some lowlife put the nail in my tire, and I will laugh in the face of the devil compliments of cycle gear. This insurance plan is the best thing since the invention of the radial. They have dunlop q2's in stock, but I want something 80/20 (rear) and the q2's are all road I believe. stock d221's, which i can't even find on dunlops site, are great on a 2 mile stretch of road that has been de-surfaced temporarily, and even has a nice little jump made of a man-hole sticking above the de-surfaced road. I feel having something like rosso ii's in the back would give me less confidence on bumpy straights.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM

The Sync is out of production for Pirelli, and has been replaced by the Scorpion Trail, so that's an old tire. I think you'd be better off doing a matched set of something current.
If you're committed to Cycle Gear then maybe do those Q2's if they're swinging deals on 'em like they have in the past. If you want something else they'll ding you for near full price, then add on the insurance, so that gets to be expensive.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Baron, I have decided to go with the scorpion trails, I just hope they are as good in wet as the syncs sounded. With the balancing and insurance I will pay about 450 total. The good news is that once they're on, If I make it home with a nail in the tire, cycle gear will be aiding the cost of replacement. This makes my bike, financially, a zero liability considering I have 4 years of the good times protection plan as well. I entered the world of motorcycling to make cars/mechanics/surprise bills a thing of the past. The battle is over.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You might want to check these out.That way your sure to get home.... http://www.kawasaki.com/rok/benefits.aspx .... http://www.stopngo.com/categories/Tire-Pluggers/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks weljo, i have a plug kit on standby, and the ROK program is tempting. I trusted the dunlops durability more than me taking a chance practicing my first plug on a tire that was holding up with the nail in it, but now that i am going to order the scorpion trails I might practice a plug on the dunlop.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Boy I gotta tell ya... I would not ride without a compressor and plug kit. There's just no way in The Wide Wide World of Sports do I wanna be on the side of the road, waiting for hours and hours for a repair truck, or walking miles and miles cuz I gotz no signal!

Totally agree... But i'm not going to trust a cheap compressor.

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

if i mainly commute 10 miles, do i need more than a couple cartridges really? i do have the t-handle with reamer.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I see your point, while i did do 2 very short "tours" during the awesome weather we had here in PA (bout 100 miles round trip each), the bike wasn't even back for the initial service yet, so my inexperience and faith in tires with such low miles caused me to overlook proper preperation for such rides. I was simply overjoyed at the fact that I was now rid of my fourth child (2005 ford ranger fx4 level ii), in exchange for the brand new 11' versys. Even if i had to pay for roadside at the time, I would have still been in heaven. I am so glad to be rid of four wheeled crap (i am now a full time rider). I intend to get that little compressor now that you mention it. Cartridges seem so simple, do you hear of frequent issues with them? other than misuse?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

But back to my original post, for curiosity sake, look at the rosso ii's strong points and match that with a rear tire with a touch of trail in it. If you have ever mixed sets before, do you think it would be a cool combo? I don't think it would be a problem if both tires were above average on dry and considered somewhat exceptional on wet. I'm picturing that even if caught on a trail, you could kinda go easy on the turns, and kill it on the straights with the bumpier rear. I know braking would be crap off road in a rosso ii, but at least it wouldn't be butter on oil from a dead stop in mud, maybe butter on toast.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have the Michellin PR-3's. They work great wet or dry. I ride city,freeway,canyon roads and some dirt without any issues.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Actually watched your video in another tire thread. I knew you had it as soon as the bike started rolling, but I was curious as to whether or not anyone got pissy with you for maybe kicking dust up on their tourers. I didn't pause it, but it sort of looked like maybe the one guy flipped you the bird after you stopped ahead of them and he passed. Was that a random group or are you all friends?
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thats a group i ride with and that guy is actually a girl on her goldwing. She hates dirt and mud on her bike and her flipping people off is her trademark.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

I think Ima gonna hafta go Italian with my tires this time. I don't think it was coincidence that the tire expert in the movie "CARS" was an Italian.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Getting flipped-off by a women is so sexy, I envy you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rosso ii, scorpion sync, tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in