New 2011 Versys owner. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New 2011 Versys owner.

New Versys owner in Ontario here.

Brought home a new 2011 Versys a couple of weeks ago. NOS from a local dealer.

Good ergonomics on this bike for me, at 6', 210 lbs and a 36" leg. Love the upright position.

First thing I did when I got it home was stick a very powerful, 1/8" X 1/4" round N40 neodymium magnet to the drain plug. I know the temperature at the plug will kill the magnet fairly quickly, but by that time, the drain plug itself will have become sufficiently magnetized to do the job effectively by itself.

Still in the break-in phase, haven't had a chance to explore too much of the power band yet for any length of time...

Changed the oil yesterday at 600 kms (260 miles), a fair amount of aluminum "fines" suspended in the oil, but no obvious "chunks"! No visible metal stuck to the drain plug. Had to drive a screwdriver through the oil filter to remove it. Cut open the filter, hosed it out a bit with some toluene, nothing obvious in there, either.
Refilled with cheap Canadian Tire Formula 10W-40 motorcycle oil, and Fram PH6017A filter. I'll change again at 1600 kms, and at some point, will switch to Mobil 1 4T synth. And probably switch to a K&N oil filter, if I can find a local supply at a reasonable price - I like the socket stub - should make removal/installation more convenient.

Fitted a simple Garmin handlebar clamp mount for my eTrex Legend C, fits perfectly on the left bar, small and secure, easy to see. Ever since I got a GPS, I've known exactly where I was at any given time...

Today, installing a brake light modulator, a BackOff XP. Good instructions on this site for this install, along with almost anything else I can think I'll ever do!

At some point, I plan to do something about the seat! Not finding it very comfortable after my first 120 km ride. Typical complaint, sliding forward, numb butt syndrome, etc.
Plenty of suggestions on this site for that! I'll try a few "home-brew" mods first, but a new foam insert and cover may be required.

Good site, some good info here. Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

Heres the filter i have.... http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...FLO-OIL-FILTER

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I've seen those, and they're a great idea... if I ever come across a really, really good deal on one, I'll grab it!

At the $7.99/per filter I will pay for a 6-pack of K&N's (from a wholesaler friend), I'd need to change my oil about 16 times before it starts to pay for itself! I've owned bikes that I haven't kept that long!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Nice bike! Give the seat some time. It will break in a little as you pile on the miles.

That magnet should help with traffic light sensors.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:09 PM

to the forum, red is the fastest color
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode