update on my new versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
update on my new versys

Hello everyone it has been a few days since I joined and posted anything. I have purchased my 2012 Versys and fell in love with it in the parking lot before even getting on the road. We road 188 miles my 1st day and loved every second of it!! The cornering on this bike is amazing!! I keep right on the back door of my boyfriend(he has a suzuki Vstrom) now in the corners not having to catch up! I rode a honda shadow for 10 years and have been riding with pete for three. we lowered it via lowering link and had to put the suspension to its lowest and I reach the ground on the balls of my feet. I am looking to purchase the gel seat to lower it a little more for my own piece of mind. Yes I have already laid her down in my driveway. I am finding the kick stand is a bit hidden on me(just needing to get used to it) and my riding pants got caught on my foot peg throwing me off kilter.. I was so mad at myself and upset so she now has some scratches. Yes I was able to upright the bike myself. It was 11 at night tired after working a 12 hour shift and home alone.. Thank goodness I am a strong person especially for my size!! 5'2 so i am looking forward to many many more miles of riding we usually put on about 11 k a year..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Congrats! I had pretty much the same experiences when I had my first bike, but the Versys is built for that kind of thing, so enjoy it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM

I have the same issue with catching my pant cuffs on the footpeg when I put my feet down. Fortunately, it hasn't tripped me up yet but I'm worried one day it will.

Congrats on the V, I just traded in a Shadow for one myself. Haven't regretted it. Much more fun and comfortable, IMO.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Just remember to ride your own ride, don't worry about keeping up that's how you get in trouble. Have fun and enjoy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 PM
MTS

I sold my shadow right away after finding the V. You will love it! Its fun factor is through the roof! It is a tall bike but very upright and comfortable.

PS- Check air pressure on tires. Factory pressure was way too much and caused me to slip in the rain once. I ride on low side and love it. Much smoother!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM

I did the same thing the other day. I laid her down in a parking lot. Luckily my pride was hurt worse than the bike
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Check out Speedy's lowering kit and flatfoot - both would help you enjoy your ride IMMENSELY. http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Versys_c2.htm

Speedy posts here, look for threads on these and check out the Motowerk site.

Given your height, I'd lower the bike before doing the gel seat.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsrider View Post
Hello everyone it has been a few days since I joined and posted anything. I have purchased my 2012 Versys and fell in love with it in the parking lot before even getting on the road. We road 188 miles my 1st day and loved every second of it!! The cornering on this bike is amazing!! I keep right on the back door of my boyfriend(he has a suzuki Vstrom) now in the corners not having to catch up! I rode a honda shadow for 10 years and have been riding with pete for three. we lowered it via lowering link and had to put the suspension to its lowest and I reach the ground on the balls of my feet. I am looking to purchase the gel seat to lower it a little more for my own piece of mind. Yes I have already laid her down in my driveway. I am finding the kick stand is a bit hidden on me(just needing to get used to it) and my riding pants got caught on my foot peg throwing me off kilter.. I was so mad at myself and upset so she now has some scratches. Yes I was able to upright the bike myself. It was 11 at night tired after working a 12 hour shift and home alone.. Thank goodness I am a strong person especially for my size!! 5'2 so i am looking forward to many many more miles of riding we usually put on about 11 k a year..
Welcome. Highly suggest a set of engine bars like SW-Motech. They will protect the bike in a tip over or lower speed low side. They'll pay for themselves the next time this happens. Twisted throttle has a video on their website of a Versys that low sided at ~35mph with the bars and no damage to the bike. Where you are 5'2" there are also lowering kits available for the bike.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, pretty soon you will be passing your BF in the twisties, my wife rode a Suzuki C50 but has recently sold it and has used my versys and has admitted it is a lot easier to control than the cruiser but she still prefers the looks of a cruiser and has all sorts of insults for the versys.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Congrats! Sorry to hear about your tip-over. I would also recommend Speedy's flatfoot, gives you a much larger area to see and get the kickstand down with, huge difference! Hope you enjoy as much as the rest of us! Ride safe.

Mac

2009 Versys - 5000k
1982 Yamaha XJ 550 - 34k
1995 Suzuki DR 125SE - 1.9k
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Yes I have already laid her down in my driveway. I am finding the kick stand is a bit hidden on me
Despite reading a few posts here about this 'weakness' on my first day out, at my very first stop, on a slightly uneven surface (I was asking for it!!) I flipped the sland done, swung my right leg off the bike and immediately felt the bike moving forwards, I grabbed under the near side with my right hand and leaned hard to the back of the bike with all my strength & stopped the fall.

Phew!

A massive lesson learned at the first stop !

Now I positively move the stand all the way out, slowly & precisely & then when the bike is giving the stand all the weight, I then pull back on the bars and double check!

Its now day 4 & I have now stopped 20 times with a different attitude.

BB
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the support and great advice!! I have purchased the flat foot and it will be on my bike soon. I am very careful now and make sure my pant leg is clear of the peg.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I am very careful now and make sure my pant leg is clear of the peg.
That pant leg thing has probably caught most, if not all of us, at one time or another. It's scary, even if it's caught for just a split second...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Flat foots are great things as put them on the V and the Ninja 1000

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Welcome. I put the Givi crash bars before riding out from the shop. It's a tall bike and the tendency of me screwing up is big, but so far no major drops but did experience falling halfway due to the stand not being fully in the lock position. Parked on a slope, bike moved forward and the kick stand just gave in.....fortunately, it leaned on another moped beside it. Only has a small nick on the radiator shroud. Lesson learned, make sure the kick stand is all the way. Check the bike after parking and make sure it won't move forward or too upright.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Food for thought- After having my bike go over in the wind and then move a bit on the stand on me I started parking it with a velcro cable tie (like http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Wrap-Straps-Assorted-90438/dp/B00144CABS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1339538002&sr=8-6), well actually 2 of them interconnected to hold my front brake lever down while the bike is parked. I tend to put it on before stepping off the bike, which ensures she isn't going anywhere in that process or afterwards. Not sure if anyone else does this, but it works a treat for me. Some people leave it in gear when parked, which is fine; but I find it leaves too much play in allowing the bike to roll slightly. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your bike!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode