Possible Versyser - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool Possible Versyser

Hello from Houston, Texas. I grew up motocrossing, and after a 25 year sabatical from riding, I got back into motorcycling three years ago. I am currently riding a dual-sported Honda XR650R, and love it. I have two sets of wheels for it, one set with knobbies mounted, the other with street tires. I find myself riding more often than I thought I would on the street however, and now think I should have a separate bike for this purpose. Being 6'1", and prefering the tall, narrow, lighter feel of a dirt bike, I think the Versys would be a good choice. I mostly plan to commute to work (20 minute mix of neighborhood and slab), do occasional "pie runs" with my bike buds (30 - 70 mile day trips), and possibly an occasional longer touring ride. Some of this may also be with the wife along as well.

I've got some questions though, and thought this forum might be a good place to get some unbiased opinions

So:

1. Are there any better years than others? Read somewhere that 2010 model got upgrades. Enought to make a difference?
2. If I decide to buy new, I would not mind doing a fly/buy/ride trip. What dealer has the best prices going right now?
3. Haven't had time to look around on the forum yet, but how hard are the typical maintenance chores (oil change, air filter clean, brakes, etc.)?
4. Is vibration an issue on these bikes? If so, from what?

The Versys seems like a real good candidate for me, but I'm also considering the new Suzuki 650 Strom, and the new Honda NC700X, so some honest answers would be greatly appreicated.

"The Night Rydah.. remember him, when you look at the night sky" - Toecutter
Rob
2006 XR650R - Plated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 AM

I can't say about the earlier years (I have a 2010) but I have not read any real big differences between the two. Different headlight.
Hard to find a Versys at Dealers around my area.
Vibration? It's a parallel twin so more than a Four. I feel it more between 70mph to 75mph but then smooths out again.
Others may have more information for you. Hope this helps some.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome

Question1, there was a change from 2010 onwards, as Thumper said different headlight, The 2009 model got a new brake pump for better brake feel
2010 was a major revision, new design, better mirrors, and the windscreen is adjustable in angle instead of height. The engine is now rubber-cushioned.
Question 2, do live in your part of world so no idea
question 3, oil change easy, air filter- take off seat a lot of plastic and lift fuel tank to clean resusable filter, the bike is a low maint bike so its not a big cost.
Question 4, Vibration is an issue and there are various threads here you could research, i have foam tape stuff around my instrument cluster and around all the other plastic around tank and pretty well got most of it.

My view is the wee strom is better off road but the versys will blow it away on road and is a lot more nimble/flickable road bike, it is really a funvee and you can have a lot of fun riding with guys on so called superior road bikes in the twisties and they can't understand how they can't shake the little V.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM

+ 1 on what's been said. Plus the VStrom has a lower tech suspension, with fewer adjustments. I've had my Versys for 4 years this week. If it ever wears out, I could buy another one (prolly a used one or left over next time). I've heard that the Strom is "softer sprung / cushier riding" than the Versys. The Versys springing/damping tends toward the sporty side of the range, good for twisties.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
1. Are there any better years than others? Read somewhere that 2010 model got upgrades. Enought to make a difference?
2. If I decide to buy new, I would not mind doing a fly/buy/ride trip. What dealer has the best prices going right now?
3. Haven't had time to look around on the forum yet, but how hard are the typical maintenance chores (oil change, air filter clean, brakes, etc.)?
4. Is vibration an issue on these bikes? If so, from what?

1) Differences between 2007-2009 & 2010+ - change in rear motor mount, foot pegs, seat shape and plastics - from the riding position you cannot tell them apart

3) You can download the service manual for free from this site. Oil changes are easy as there are no plastics to remove. Other tasks are the same as any other bike.

4) Vibration is relative. There are some vibes around 4000-4500 and it won't be as smooth as an inline 4 but not enough to tingle your hands and much, much less than any VTwin cruiser

Quote:
The Versys seems like a real good candidate for me, but I'm also considering the new Suzuki 650 Strom, and the new Honda NC700X, so some honest answers would be greatly appreicated.

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the resonses, fellers. I've yet to ride the other two bikes I mentioned, but did take a spin on my buddy's '08 Versys today. Just a jog around the block, but was impressed by the power, quick response throttle, and soft ride. Only slight negative I noticed was the seat to peg distance. He already had the pegs lowered (1"?), but my 33" inseam seemed just slightly more bent than I'd like. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different. I suppose the other brands will probably be the same though, so should not be a deciding factor. I've already decided too that if I go with the Versys, I'll probably be looking at a 2010 or newer, just because of the slight improvements they made.
Again, thanks for the answers, and maybe I'll be a regular on here before too long

Rob
2006 XR650R - Plated

Last edited by Rydah; 06-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Some more questions:

1. What kind of realistic mileage are you guys getting? My riding will be 85% in town, 15% highway.

2. What's available for peg/brake/shifter lowering on the newer version (2010+), and how low can you go?

3. Is the seat hight adjustable on this model? Anyone raised their seat, or modified it to make it taller?

Thanks.

Rob
2006 XR650R - Plated
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Some more questions:

1. What kind of realistic mileage are you guys getting? My riding will be 85% in town, 15% highway.

2. What's available for peg/brake/shifter lowering on the newer version (2010+), and how low can you go?

3. Is the seat hight adjustable on this model? Anyone raised their seat, or modified it to make it taller?

Thanks.
Not trying to be an azz, but if you use the search function on the forum, all three of these topics have been discussed at great length. All of this information is available for you to read.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Yah, everyone who posts to a forum know that; just trying to save some time. In the time you took to post that, you could have probably answered my questions. Thanks for the help.

Rob
2006 XR650R - Plated
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 AM
DR_

Quote:
Some more questions:

Thanks.
Hey Rydah, I'm David up in Dallas (yellow DRZ that rode with you a couple times on dual sport rides). I think you will like the Versys but you have a tough choice as those other bikes are also very interesting. If you want ABS brakes then the other bikes have that and the Versys doesn't. The Strom is the biggest and probably suits you best right out of the box. The Versys is the lightest and best handling of the three. Knowing how you like power I think you would grow tired of the NC700x pretty quickly.
1. I get about 48 mpg with mostly city riding.
2. You can get the Speedys peg lowering mounts and combine them with the SW-Motech pegs to go a lot lower. I warn you though you will be scraping the pegs in the turns a lot.
3. No factory adjustment but you can modify the seat or get an aftermarket tall seat to suit you.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
In the time you took to post that, you could have probably answered my questions.
Not really.. If I had done the searching for you, I would have provided detailed information with links to specific threads that would have taken me probably 20 minutes to compile.

Quote:
Yah, everyone who posts to a forum know that; just trying to save some time.
Glad I didn't waste my time since your time seems more important than mine.

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
You bet!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Now that's a great reply! How's it going, David? Yah, the Vstrom really seems like the best fit for me ergonomically, but I really like the Versys being more powerful, lighter, and better suspended. Could probably pull wheelies easier on the Versys

I actually prefer no ABS, so that's not an issue, but the gas mileage on the Versys seems to be the least of the three. The Vstrom can take me over 200 miles before fillup, and was wondering what I could expect from the Versys.

Great info on the peg lowering also; I'll check into those.

Really, I would probably have to modify the seat anyway. Don't like that "deep dish" setup, 'cause it forces me to sit a bit closer to the tank than what's comfortable. With me needing less knee bend, I would probably raise that rider section to more flow with the passenger area, thus allowing me to "scoot" back a bit.

Thanks again.

Rob
2006 XR650R - Plated
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 AM

I just went through the same evaluation. I think these guys nailed it, but here are a few more comparisons. I still have my DL1000 but it is for sale.

In favor of Versys: better suspension, better in twisties, more nimble/better city bike, arguably better looking (sportier) than even the new Wee design, slightly less expensive.

In favor of Wee: arguably better engine (but the new engine is different so who knows?), more comfortable for touring and 2-up, better off-road, better lighting and instrumentation, ABS, more aftermarket options (e.g. I can't get my Givi rear case mount for a month as it's sold out everywhere).

The signs would seem to point to the Wee, but I just bought my V brand new and am glad I did. But then 95% of my riding time is in hilly, congested SF and I try to keep the rest of it in the twisties. I rarely tour and never go off road, except for the occasional gravel winery driveway I do ride 2-up a lot and my girl is fine with the V. Admittedly, a lot of my decision had to do with the look of the bike and the desire for something different from my previous DL. I only considered a post-'10 bike due to the upgrades and the much improved look (the yellow is killer). FWIW I have zero vibration complaints with the new rubber mounted engine but I do look forward to the Seat Concepts mod. YMMV.

Last edited by PDSF; 06-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:49 AM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...chid%3D1226620

I have discovered better search results when you use the little 'Google Custom Search' box at the top of the page.

Vulcan 1700 Classic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode