Why is my Versys so rough? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why is my Versys so rough?

Have a 2004 Honda 919 which I can barely tell is running and accelerates smooth as butter. The Versys 650 I just bought is really rough on acceleration. Lumpy is the word I'd use. It's a 2009 with 300 miles, so may have sat for a while. Even at cruising I can't see out of the mirrors. Any ideas folks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Twins and fours have different power pulses...nature of the beast. The Versys is smooth as parallel twins go. Keep the revs above 4 grand where the motor likes to run.

Mirrors are a known issue, lots of inexpensive fixes. Try searching MIRRORS on the site and see what others have done to resolve the buzz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM

The vibratory nature of a twin cylinder motorcycle engine is not a problem... ... it's a feature!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Check the vacuum sync in the throttle bodies. Mine (2010 with 7k miles) were waaay off, and a quick tweak made this feel like a totally new bike. I used to really try to avoid 6000 rpm or higher because it was so rough. Now, the fun just starts at 6k!

At the same time, I did the vacuum line mod (just connected the two together), but my feeling is that the proper sync made more difference than the mod.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Check the vacuum sync in the throttle bodies. Mine (2010 with 7k miles) were waaay off, and a quick tweak made this feel like a totally new bike. I used to really try to avoid 6000 rpm or higher because it was so rough. Now, the fun just starts at 6k!

At the same time, I did the vacuum line mod (just connected the two together), but my feeling is that the proper sync made more difference than the mod.
+1

While the "roughness" is obviously subjective, gotta guess from your description that following what Jeff says above would be a big help.

I traded in my inline 4 FJR for my Versys. My experience is that it's not That Much rougher. Sure, it's a twin, you'll notice that, but it's really quite smooth for a twin.

Mine seems very smooth, but that may also be the way I broke it in. Clearly, when running up to almost red line, in a hurry, smooth as glass.

Last edited by AzItLies; 05-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM

If the throttle body synch is off, one cyl is drawing more air than the other, it will increase the vibration although it should not be off on a new bike. Normally this gets done immediately after a valve adjustment.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I am likely just spoiled by the 919 - being able to shift at 2k without fuss and tool around town at 2.5k rpm. I just need to think "Versys" on one and "Honda" on the other and rev them appropriatelly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acewray View Post
I am likely just spoiled by the 919 - being able to shift at 2k without fuss and tool around town at 2.5k rpm. I just need to think "Versys" on one and "Honda" on the other and rev them appropriatelly.
Some people might say that one has character and one is like riding a sewing machine.

I'm not a big fan of I-4 bikes. You usually have to rev the snot out of them to have any fun, where the twins pull hard from the start. Of course that was before I got the Concours. That bike is amazing. Caught myself hitting 95 in second gear and another time 110 in 3rd. This was on a 45 MPH road. Eeek! I am learning to control it though so I don't get any tickets.

Of course the Versys gets up there pretty quick as well. Just takes a few more gears.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 AM

As the Guys mention, vacuum synch both throttle bodies at 1300 rpm.
After that, connect a tube between both the throttle bodies.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewray View Post
The Versys really prefers to be reved up a bit.

Mine is its worse vibe/coarseness wise between 3500-4500, but smooths out significantly by 6000 and is a joy from 5500-8000.

It took me a while to get accustomed to revving it up as I am a bit of a lugger and most bikes I have/had before I rarely ran past 5000.

Now I rarely run the versys below 4000 unless I am off pavement.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm convinced that each bike must be a bit different for whatever reason. I'm also sure that vibes smooth out over time for whatever reason. After 30,000 miles mine is pretty smooth. I thought I was just getting used to it but a buddy of mine road the bike and commented how smooth it was for a parallel twin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode