Howdy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Howdy

Hey folks! New (well, '09) Versys owner here from Nashville, TN Have enjoyed this forum immensely already!

'09 Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Looking forward to some technical discussions! It appears that the weep hole on my Versys may be leaking a small bit of oil, hoping to find some insight... Thanks!

'09 Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, is that the line that comes out on the left side that is weeping as it is a drain line from any oil in the air box from any overflow from air filter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM

WELCOME....from another Tennesseean !

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 AM

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Hey dude

Are you talking about a drip from the left side? If so, It's probably not oil, if it's dripping from a hose just forward of your left boot. Sounds like the coolant to me. My mechanic buddy assured me that, after checking everything else, that this happens often, especially if you've recently topped up the coolant.
I might be completely WRONG but that's a possible diagnosis.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:22 AM

Welcome

Hello and welcome, from another Tennesseean.

Current rides:
2011 Versys
1995 CR 250 (Sold)
2005 Honda Recon(Sold)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Nice to find such a great site with a community. Concerning the weep hole: (I may be mistaken on the actual name of it) The short hose against the kickstand has been leaking a bit of oil (and there's major (gas?) fumes pouring out of it after a ride), however; my main concern has been from under the crankcase after I changed the oil. I have circled in the attached picture with an arrow pointing at where the oil (and now coolant) are seeping out. It's a tiny slot on the right side of the bike that is silver. It is a very small amount coming out when the bike gets warmed up (and presumably seeps to some degree as it is ridden), as I can usually smell oil burning when I ride due to the residue on the heated crankcase.

I did overfill the oil but only slightly when I received the bike, and have since drained a bit out. However, after draining some, it first seemed to be leaking from the oil filter so I tightened it (over the 13 ft/lb spec, even). Then I noticed said droplets from that small slot underneath. I figure it's some kind of loose seal, but was wondering if I should park it until I can get it fixed? (Dumb question, I know... I'm not very mechanically-minded ) Also, is it bad if oil is coming from the air box through that hose or will it clear itself up? Thanks for any help guys, I really appreciate it. I will copy this to some other threads when I have full access

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG02301.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	14652  

'09 Versys

Last edited by dirtdogger; 05-16-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode