Anyone go from a V-Strom to a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone go from a V-Strom to a Versys?

I'm thinking of moving from the V-Strom (DL-1000) to a Versys. I just like the parallel twins so much. I love my XS650, but want to continue to have something fuel injected and newer. Also, something decent enough for some road trips. I'm even willing to trade if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

sorry..if someone could move this to the general thread, I'd appreciate it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 PM

My bike right before the Versys was a Wee Strom and it was the best moveI ever made bike-wise. The Versys for me is a lot more fun to ride, more agile, flickable, you name it.
In the 14 months I owned the Wee I did about 1800 kms and alsmost 7000 on the Versys.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinnan View Post
I'm thinking of moving from the V-Strom (DL-1000) to a Versys. I just like the parallel twins so much. I love my XS650, but want to continue to have something fuel injected and newer. Also, something decent enough for some road trips. I'm even willing to trade if anyone is interested.
I had an 06 DL1000 Vstrom a couple of years ago and was not impressed initially. It was big,heavy and ugly but after $6000 worth of add ons it was as capable as a BMW GS. It was a better highway distance bike than the Versys and of course, a lot more powerfull but it was still a top heavy pig when I ventured off road. Would I do it again? Sure! I'm on my second Versys and miss the power of the 1000 strom. I would not consider the 650 wee strom over the Versys though do to the handling advantage of the Versys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM

I came to the Versys from a '07 dl1000 via an FJR1300. The strom was an endless money pit trying to upgrade everything to a suitable level. Lots of aftermarket for the bikes, because they needed it. The power was descent, but it didn't offset the weight of the bloated hog. Anything past a well groomed gravel road and you had your work cut out for you. The fuel mileage was attrocious if you ran at speeds above 75mph.

The FJR was one powerful scoot. Great speed and handling and a total waste of time here in the states where the speed limits are so slow. That bike felt at home running between 90-100 mph. That is the very reason why I got rid of it.

The Versys is a very competent middle weight bike. I'm also a big fan of parallel twins having owned Triumphs (old ones), XS650's, and a TDM850. The V has a few shortcomings, but they are easily addressed and not cost prohibitive. Mine, by this time next week, will be morphed into a nice ADV touring rig as I'm pretty much throwing the accessory catalog at it. I'm a bigger guy and the V has no problem pulling my 290lb frame around.

If you are close to the central Indiana area and want to ride mine, you're more than free to do so.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I may just put mine up for sale. I really think it is what I should do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm flip flopping as well a used fully farkled wee or a new versys. I like both bikes and will be venturing off road on both with the wife on board. This is fire roads etc. so decisions decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode