First two posts - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First two posts

So I just joined the forum because I'm looking to buy an 09 Versys to take to Europe next year for a two month trip. I plan on leaving the bike in Europe so I can go back every few years and do other thrips like a ride across Russia or a lap of the Mediterranean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I had originally purchased a Buell Ulysses for this trip but it was colossal disaster as I bought someone else problems. After putting about $500 in parts on the Uly I decided to cut my losses and move on. I really want a Hypermotard 796 but I can't see spending $7500 for a used one and then leaving it in Europe so I figure the Versys would be a good compromise.

Woot only 48 hours till I can post in the classifieds section.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Welcome! and I'm curious if it's that much less expensive to ship a bike to Europe, rather than buying one there?

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, i like the idea of having a bike in a different part of the world to ride.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Welcome! and I'm curious if it's that much less expensive to ship a bike to Europe, rather than buying one there?
+1

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
No, it's probably not cheaper. However I don't want to take the risk of buying a lemon and having the trip I've been planning for the last three years ruined because of it. I already got burned buying a used Ulysses if this happened once I got to Europe I would be totally screwed.

Buying the bike a year ahead of time will also give me a chance to mod it to my desire.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome, i like the idea of having a bike in a different part of the world to ride.
Yeah once you have a bike in Europe it opens up a lot of possibilities. You can use it as a jumping off point to Europe,Asia, and Africa though when I do Africa I may want a more dirt worthy bike. But who knows I may just decide that the V is the ultimate traveling bike. Storing a bike in Europe should be about $500 a year so if you can manage to go every 2-3 years it seems like a no brainer.

I also have a brother who lives in Munich so I may be able to store the bike for free if I'm lucky.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM

A buddy of mine here in Mexico just brought a bike he was keeping on the Isle of Mann for the past 11 years back here, and he is now storing another one on the West coast of the US, (San Fran), and another on the East coast, (Atlanta). Those are in addition to the 11 he has here in Mexico. I want to be like you guys when I grow up!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode