Norcal new member - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Norcal new member

Hello there -- new guy here from the SF Bay Area. I ride a Suzuki DR650 dual sport and would like something with better on-road / freeway manners. I prefer low DIY maintenance of Japanese bikes and inexpensive & freely-available parts & accessories. I like the looks of the Versys over the Storm. I also prefer a nimble & narrow bike for short runs or commuting. The bike will see 99% pavement, maybe 1% dirt.

So --

I'm looking for a used Versys, with a budget of about $3500. I prefer something clean-titled, not-wrecked and close-to-stock. Not worried about mileage or model year -- in fact the higher the miles the better . I'm definitely partial to the green (or second best, blue).

Any thoughts? On the budget, availability, etc?

What should I look for when buying used?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 PM

I've seen some used, low-mileage '08-'09 models under $4,400.

Here and Craigslist are usually pretty good places for finding them.

Good luck.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM

There's some here, but the ones I looked at on the first page were higher than your desired price.

http://www.searchtempest.com/results...adv&subcat=mca

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All the best with the hunt, i went for the versys over the wee strom as it was a lot more nimble/flickable in my opinion.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I know my budget is on the lower end ... I'm going to keep my eyes open for something.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM

There were a few on the SF bay area Craigslist but I'm not seeing them today. Check monterey's Craigslist, there was one recently for sale in hollister
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM

I'm a recent new Versys owner in SF. Looked online for awhile. The older ones are out there, but you might have to look for a little bit.

If you haven't already try also BARF (the Bay Area Rider's Forum), and Dubbleju motorcycle rentals. They sell their rental bikes and they generally, if not always, sell them before the warranty expires so that you can purchase an extended manufacturer's warranty, but don't quote me on that...

I went with the Versys over the Wee-Strom for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. Mostly I wanted something that was going to be more geared towards city riding and commuting with the option of some weekend trips as opposed to something more adventure oriented. I hear the Wee-Strom is a great bike, but I like the smaller, nimbler side of the Versys.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 AM

Welcome!

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
Thanks guys. I know my budget is on the lower end ... I'm going to keep my eyes open for something.
The DR650 certainly isn't a bad bike to fill the void until a bargain Versys pops up. Having owned a DR650, I can say that the Versys will likely give you what want over the DR. 2 days ago a very nice Versys with hard bags popped up on Tallahassee CL for $3500. I'll bet it didn't last long. So, the deals are out there, but when one shows up for the price you are looking for, be prepared to move decisively. Do you know about the Craigslist search engine called Searchtempest.com. It's a fantastic tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode