New member, buying Versys tomorrow (update) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member, buying Versys tomorrow (update)

So, I sold the DRZ, and yesterday my wonderful girlfriend drove with me over 2 hours to Newberry SC, where I bought a 2009 versys in blue with only 1400 miles for 4300$. I quickly laid to rest any worries that by switching to the versys from the supermoto, I'd be compromising on fun. It truly seems like a great, do it all bike. My only two complaints are that the windshield directs the air directly into my face, and the front end began to slip out on me on a particularly aggressive pass through an exit ramp. I know I can buy a new windshield, and I expect some new tires would help with that slippage. Besides that, I want to get some good side cases, and throw some steel lines on it for the brakes. By and large, though, I'm thrilled with my purchase, I think I got a great deal, and I look forward to riding her more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Sounds great. Maybe consider engine guards and a hardware store vent screen to protect the radiator.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

I've been considering engine guards, but I plan to keep her mostly on road. Does that make any difference?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfyre View Post
I've been considering engine guards, but I plan to keep her mostly on road. Does that make any difference?
Only if it falls down.

The few things that I think are really important would be a 44T tooth in the rear, and the engine guards.

You probably have OEM Dunlops, and I found those will give an indication of a little slip ea time you get to a spot that hasn't been scrubbed in. Once scrubbed in they are pretty okay though, not bad really.

The 44T in the back, to me, is a major improvement. The bike has more than enough torque to handle that ratio. And it's great having the speedo be very accurate now. I've actually taken off in 2nd a couple of times by accident and it handled it just fine.

good luck with it and have fun, it's a great bike.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Rocks can come from anywhere. I'm on the third windshield on my car.

Enjoy your new ride.

Quote:
and the front end began to slip out on me on a particularly aggressive pass through an exit ramp.
Sounds like you are a very aggressive rider with passing on a ramp. Hope you wear full protective gear.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 04-12-2012 at 07:04 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

No, I wasn't overtaking anyone, it was just poor phrasing on my part. That said, I'm pretty much captain Atgatt, with full leather everything and a back protector for almost every ride. Of the two kinds of riders out there, I'm the first (the kind who has gone down.) I dress for the crash.

As for the rear sprocket, what changes can I expect to see with the new ratio? Faster acceleration? Or better highway speeds? Something else all together?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
DR_

If you are staying on road I would skip the engine guards. They are insurance that you don't need on the street and are unnecessary weight IMO.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
So, I sold the DRZ, and yesterday my wonderful girlfriend drove with me over 2 hours to Newberry SC, where I bought a 2009 versys in blue with only 1400 miles for 4300$. I quickly laid to rest any worries that by switching to the versys from the supermoto, I'd be compromising on fun. It truly seems like a great, do it all bike. My only two complaints are that the windshield directs the air directly into my face, and the front end began to slip out on me on a particularly aggressive pass through an exit ramp. I know I can buy a new windshield, and I expect some new tires would help with that slippage. Besides that, I want to get some good side cases, and throw some steel lines on it for the brakes. By and large, though, I'm thrilled with my purchase, I think I got a great deal, and I look forward to riding her more!

Not pimping for Twisted Throttle but their parts listing for the 09 Versys is a pretty complete listing of what after market parts are avail for the bike.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/652/

There is also a review of windshield options for the 09 Versys on WebBikeWorld.com. Very happy with my VStream windshield.

Last edited by Sprocket; 04-12-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode