New, looking for a motorcycle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New, looking for a motorcycle

I was planning on waiting until I actually had a bike to make this post, but I understand I can't post elsewhere until I've posted here and waited.

At any rate, I used to ride 20 years ago and have wanted to get back into riding for some time but money issues always held me back.

I've finally got those issues out of the way and talked the wife into letting me buy one now.

I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm interested in a sport touring bike.
I'm almost settled on the Versys, partially due to my reading this forum.
I decided to pop into the for sale forum here and noticed that there is someone here in San Antonio that is looking to sell theirs.

I thought it would be a good opportunity to get back into riding, with a good bike, and without spending a bunch of money.

But, it appears I can't contact him for a couple days.

At any rate, to sum up my personal details. I had an 81 or 82 Suzuki G550 as my first bike when I was in my 20s. It was used and a hunk of junk but it cost me next to nothing and I still had a blast on it.
Fast forward to now, and I'm in my 40s, living in San Antonio and looking for a motorcycle that isn't going to be in the shop a lot.

prim8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM

I've got a 2009 Green Versys with 2300 miles on it for $4200.00. I'm in Dallas, but worth the trip. I've sold mine, but this is my sons. He has bought a Hugh Honda VTX 1800.

I haven't listed it anywhere yet so you have the first shot.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 03-29-2012 at 02:33 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Is this the one your looking at.... http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18281

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Tim! I sent you a PM....

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 AM

Welcome and hope you get your ride soon.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome and i am sure there is a good deal out there for you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 AM

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to take the MSF BRC before getting into riding again. They teach some great stuff in those classes that many of us older riders never really learned.

enjoy!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post

Be sure to take the MSF BRC before getting into riding again. They teach some great stuff in those classes that many of us older riders never really learned.

enjoy!
+1

Also, nowadays you can find all kinds of riding protection that doesn't cost an arm and a leg....many of us don't bounce back like we did in our teens and twenties if something happens!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys.
As some of you know by now, I went out and got a new 2012 Versys this past Thursday.
I was very nervous on the ride home, compounded by it being nighttime by the time I got out of the dealership.
I took it out again yesterday during the day and it all came back to me. By the end of my 2 hour ride I was feeling very comfortable, like I'd never been out of motorcycling.

I still have to brush up on some skills but my ride gave me ample opportunity to practice emergency braking, braking in a corner, balancing at low speeds and turning around in a tight space, and riding on gravel (you could say I got myself lost in the boonies).

I have taken the MSF BRC before, I don't claim to remember all of it so I may take it again to refresh but I'm feeling pretty comfortable right now.

I also took the opportunity to purchase a cheap helmet (might replace after research) a new riding jacket (Olympia Switchback Air) and some gloves (Olympia Air Force Gel).
I'm still on the lookout for some pants since they didn't have any that fit me (short and fat).

I'm also looking for a tank back I think. I'd like something with a waterproof see through window in case I get lost again I can set my phone GPS up and refer to it at stops so I don't have to take my gloves off and pull it out, then put it away and put the gloves back on.

My impressions on the bike are what I expected from reading around here before I purchased.
Lots of vibration at higher RPMs, and too tall for a short person. Oh, and the seat, I don't have to tell you guys about that seat.

Thanks for your welcome and looking forward to picking your brains so to speak.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys.
As some of you know by now, I went out and got a new 2012 Versys this past Thursday.

My impressions on the bike are what I expected from reading around here before I purchased.
Lots of vibration at higher RPMs, and too tall for a short person. Oh, and the seat,

Here Ya Go....

http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Standar...-LK-STD-R2.htm

http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Anti-vi...ANVB-HB-RS.htm

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawa...ys%20Seats.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for that information.
I've been thinking about the kit, but with the bike being new and me not being overly mechanically inclined and knowing nothing about working on a motorcycle I'm hesitant to make that kind of a change. I'm especially leery of messing with the forks.

I think what I would really like is a new seat, or a seat modification that brings my rear lower to the ground.
Does anyone know if they are available for the 2012? Or if the seat perhaps is the same as any of the older models?

Last edited by prim8; 03-31-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Edited to remove reference to anti-vibration handlebar risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode